View Poll Results: The ablility to create individual categories and color code for calendar events?

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • I feel strongly about this expanding this functionality

55 38.73%
  • I miss the Treo for this

26 18.31%
  • It perfect the way it is

27 19.01%
  • It doesn't matter to me

44 30.99%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    I guess maybe I am confused about this, are you just complaining that there is no "new event" button to create a new event?

I see three easy ways to do this:

1. Open Calendar, swipe the main menu, select New -> Event and then enter the information.
    2. Just click on an open spot on the calendar, type "Dentist Appt." then click the "i" icon and change the date from today to the date six months from now.
    3. Open calendar, go to month view, swipe ahead to March, tap on the date, then the time of the appt and enter the information.

I don't see how this could be done with any fewer keystrokes back on PalmOS. Granted, I have not used Palm OS since WAY back when Palm's first came out, but what is it that I am missing that make entering an appt. six months from now so difficult?
    I think his complaint was that he couldn't do it with keystrokes. Personally, I think this was deliberate on Palm's part. I believe they wanted folks to use gestures as much as possible.

However, your post made me aware of something that further emphasizes the point I keep trying to make about the Pre.

Before using Quick Event (which I mentioned earlier), I always did entries via #2 or #3 listed above. That is cumbersome. Lots of "swiping" through stuff to get to an empty spot 6 months in the future, or lots of "swiping" to change to month view and move ahead.

I think my ignorance on the ability to do 10 very intuative gestures (once I knew to swipe down and select New) is a result of many years of using the Treo's calendar, and expecting the Pre's to act the same way.

Instead of forcing myself to learn the "new way", I found an app that lets me do it closer to what I'm used to.

I wonder if these "helper apps" will eventually go the way of the old graffiti progams for the Treo that were crutches for those of us coming from Palm Pilots that balked at using a keyboard on the Treo.

Product evolution is interesting, but it's evolution, which takes time...
    I do not have a Pre yet. Does the calendar sync with Outlook?
    "Brace yourself, you beautiful *****. I am about to **** you up with some truth!" - Kenny Powers

"I don't mind paying taxes. With taxes, I purchase civilization."
    - H.L. Mencken
    The calendar is useless for me too!
    A grayed out monthly calendar…what year is it?
    My biggest problem: updating an event on the Pre causes the event to be completely erased on my Google calendar! That's not very useful!!
    I don't understand WebOS programming, so when I say this I claim ignorance. But, I am surprised that a better calendar program has not been written yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyatbt View Post
    I don't understand WebOS programming, so when I say this I claim ignorance. But, I am surprised that a better calendar program has not been written yet.
    One of the major obsticles is the design of the WebOS environment. By design, one application cannot write to another application's database. Overall, that's a good thing. In cases like this though, it's bad. Essentially, another application would not be updating the Pre's calendar database, it would be creating a new one. That wold bring its own set of headaches, and cause the Pre to lose a lot of the "synergy" that's its hallmark.

I suspect one of three things will happen (or maybe a combination of any of them):
    1. Palm will release a more robust SDK to a developer (or developers) that will give them greater access to the device
    2. Some developer will write a more robust app that writes directly to the Pre's database
    3. Some really enterprising developer will create a daemon that allows importing of data to the Pre's database from other apps' databases
    Unfortunately, doing either of the last two will require root access (or one of the good third party systems that add HomeBrew and/or services). Fortunately, the HomeBrew community is advancing so fast (this device is only 4 months old) that the last two options are real possibilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyKat View Post
    My biggest problem: updating an event on the Pre causes the event to be completely erased on my Google calendar! That's not very useful!!
    Johnnykat,

I replied to you in that thread asking for a little more info. Using the info I had at hand I was unable to duplicate your experience.
    Terry Rodecker

Palm Pilot -> Palm V -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> 700wx -> ppc6700 -> BB 8830 -> Pre -> iPhone (company requirement) -> TouchPad
    i find the calendar fantastic. At a glace I can tell what sports are playing, whats planned in my personal or work life, and if birthdays are coming up.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyKat View Post
    That happens to me as well. I have a few recurring events that I can't stabilize. Some disappear from the Pre, some disappear from Google. Not sure what the pattern is. But I think it started when I edited events on Google instead of strictly on the Pre.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Guess everything is a matter of opinion. It's clear the OP thought the Treo's calendar program was great, and it's also clear that he somehow thought that it was always that way, and that Palm decided to abandon a working product. None of those things are true.

The OP posting is likely not going to cause Palm to suddenly give him DateBK, or even a lite version; however, explaining the history of the calendar program on the Treo might give him (or others) some insight and hope of things to come, and help him (or others) realize that what we have now is not what we will always have.

You say irrelevant, I say tomato.
    Uhmm, I did not think the Treo's calendar program was great from the beggining . Palm has made wonderful improvments of the calendar over the years and now "the working product" didn't even take a back seat, it got off the buss . I've been using palm and treo for years (I know what I'm saying) and judging from the last palm phone device (755p) the Pre's calendar is a step back (not forward)--plain and simple . Synergy only pulls information from other accounts (which I for one am a Palm calendar Junky and do not use any those other accounts--synergy is a useless sacrifice for some of us). Now, if one is not use to making categories and trully utilizing the calender (i.e. just viewing) then they'll make comments like...nothing is wrong with it...it works fine for ME...etc... But the fact of the matter is IT IS A STEP BACK not forward. And that's a frustrating shame.

Your history lesson was irrelevant to the OP. The point is where we were Treo 755P and where we are NOW Pre is not an improvement for the calendar. Not even a stand still, more like a step back. And based on your last sentence you do see the need for it's improvement.

So Yes, hopefully what we have now is not what we will have after the next upgrade.
    Having a dot on a day on month view on Treo calendar is almost useless to me. Everyday would have a dot on it, what is the point of that?

I like the way to enter better on the Treo, but it will come in time.
    For now, I don't care, it works for me.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    I'm very confused. The Calendar app has it's problems but categorizing and color coding are quite possible on the Pre. I have 7 categories setup each with a different colors...
    Hey ronlongo,
    Sorry for the confusion but one of the things about the calendar is that the color coding that we have is limited only for the different types of accounts that you pull from online. It IS limited from the previous palm smart phone 755P that we were used to and loved so much.

Personally, I don't like having my calendar personal information post online in Yahoo's calendar, Google's calendar, Facebook's calendar, etc. Some of us a very uncomfortable with that so this synergy stuff is not attractive and therefore useless to a lot of faithful palm users. Some of us would not like such information to reside anywhere but our hardrives. A computer sync option like pre-viously would be nice.

Pre-viously one could create a categories say "exams", "Final Exams", "Medical" and assign colors to those categories. For example "exams" --> orange, "Final Exams"-->red, "Medical"-->blue. Now when we would go to month view we would see a nice quick array of color coded event/items for viewing. I'm not picking at you ronlogo, but think about it, what use is there for a blue coded facebook calendar -vs- a green coded google calendar? Do we have "Facebook" doctor apointments, and "Google" doctor appointments? who cares to know if they're pulling from from Facebook or Google? I mean how many calendars does one need? What matters is the event/item in the calendar.

Now for some users this is not big deal, but for most of us (historical palm users and true PERSONAL ORGANIZER users)that relied on this simple but powerful feature it is a MAJOR hickup. Especially seeing how simple it is to include this if palm had it pre-viously worked out.

I stress the word PRE-VIOUSLY because it is seriously ironic in every sence of the word. I love my pre, and I was patient for the update, but it's time for some improvement and attention.

Thanks for your post.
    Last edited by stxmassive_2000; 10/12/2009 at 12:15 AM. Reason: added point.
    Quote Originally Posted by stxmassive_2000 View Post
    Pre-viously one could create a categories say "exams", "Final Exams", "Medical" and assign colors to those categories. For example "exams" --> orange, "Final Exams"-->red, "Medical"-->blue. Now when we would go to month view we would see a nice quick array of color coded event/items for viewing. I'm not picking at you ronlogo, but think about it, what use is there for a blue coded facebook calendar -vs- a green coded google calendar? Do we have "Facebook" doctor apointments, and "Google" doctor appointments? who cares to know if they're pulling from from Facebook or Google? I mean how many calendars does one need? What matters is the event/item in the calendar
    You can still do this by creating multiple calendars in Google for each "Category". I do this myself. The thing is, each calendar must be synced to something, there are no standalone calendars on the Pre.

But, you would still not see colors in month view. Only in daily and weekly.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Maybe its the fact that I have no "smartphone" experience that the pre calender works great for me. I'm sure that what most of you smartphone veterans feel the calender "should do", is probably either being worked on via 3rd party apps, or that this is just a new system that takes time getting used to. I can use the example of the keyboard. Though I never had a QWERTY keyboard, my wife and son did, and are now used to the smaller keyboard. The other day when they used my youngest sons centro, it felt awkward for them.

This may very well be a terrible analogy, but the bottom line is that the calender works great for me, and maybe it takes some getting used to for others.
    Personally, I think that the only useless part of the calendar is its (lack of) speed. As previously mentioned you can do the color-coding via multiple Google Calendars. But the speed, that seriously hinders trying to scroll through to a day in the calendar or anything like that.
    Hey ronlongo,
    Sorry for the confusion but one of the things about the calendar is that the color coding that we have is limited only for the different types of accounts that you pull from online. It IS limited from the previous palm smart phone 755P that we were used to and loved so much.

Personally, I don't like having my calendar personal information post online in Yahoo's calendar, Google's calendar, Facebook's calendar, etc. Some of us a very uncomfortable with that so this synergy stuff is not attractive and therefore useless to a lot of faithful palm users. Some of us would not like such information to reside anywhere but our hardrives. A computer sync option like pre-viously would be nice.

Pre-viously one could create a categories say "exams", "Final Exams", "Medical" and assign colors to those categories. For example "exams" --> orange, "Final Exams"-->red, "Medical"-->blue. Now when we would go to month view we would see a nice quick array of color coded event/items for viewing. I'm not picking at you ronlogo, but think about it, what use is there for a blue coded facebook calendar -vs- a green coded google calendar? Do we have "Facebook" doctor apointments, and "Google" doctor appointments? who cares to know if they're pulling from from Facebook or Google? I mean how many calendars does one need? What matters is the event/item in the calendar.

Now for some users this is not big deal, but for most of us (historical palm users and true PERSONAL ORGANIZER users)that relied on this simple but powerful feature it is a MAJOR hickup. Especially seeing how simple it is to include this if palm had it pre-viously worked out.

I stress the word PRE-VIOUSLY because it is seriously ironic in every sence of the word. I love my pre, and I was patient for the update, but it's time for some improvement and attention.

Thanks for your post.
    I think you're misunderstanding. In one Google account, you can create multiple calendars. Those multiple calendars can be assigned a different color on the Pre.

As an example, in my single Google account I have a personal calendar and a work calendar. I also have a few other calendars added, just like ronlongo mentioned, but by making a separate calendar for each type of event, you can code things easily.

For your example, you would just add 3 calendars on Google, an Exams calendar, Final Exams ones, and Medical one. Then you add the events on the Pre or the PC to whichever calendar you want them to go in, and they have their own category. To change which colors each one is, go into Preferences & Accounts and then Calendar View Options.

It does exactly what you want this way.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    When will people stop bashing Palm for this. The people who build PalmOS and its core PIM apps were long gone to Palmsource and then Access. So re-using their expertise for WebOS wasn't that obvious as everybody thinks...

Still it's not an excuse for lacking functionality, but I'm sure it will come in due time. I've been used to waiting for months already for the device being released in a GSM version, so I can wait a bit longer.
    I understand your frustration. this is a big change from the Palm OS, but you picked the wrong phone. It's clear this is the direction that Palm chose and designed the phone around. It's not a hidden surprise. This is the way the Palm Pre works now and into the future. If it's a big deal for you, you will need to switch platforms. The cloud is part of the calendar and all other aspects of this phone.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    One of my gripes with the Calendar app is the overuse of the "back" gesture. I would much prefer to have a "Done" or "Save" button to tap after I've entered my appointment, rather than having to do the back swipe gesture twice to get back to the calendar view. In addition to not being as efficient, it's an odd UI design IMO.

If you add/edit a contact on WebOS, there IS a "Done" button. Why they chose to not follow that pattern with the Calendar is perplexing to me.
    Homebrew Apps: Agenda + Quick Event = Almost total Replacement of Pre Calendar.

I rarely need to use the stock calendar anymore because of these 2 events. The icon for Agenda even updates every day with the current Date so you can move your Calendar icon off your Quick Launch Bar if you want to keep the current date!
    I can't quite understand how someone needs to color code their calendar to death. And yes, I'm someone that has multiple calendars to run my life. "Useless" seems like one hell of an exaggeration.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast