Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I'm considering returning my Pre. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice phone. I bought it last Tuesday and have had 7 days to use it, homebrew it, ect. But I'm starting to think that a touch screen smart phone (or a smart phone in general) isn't really all that useful to me.

Like I said it's a nice phone and I've used all the features. But the longer I have it the more I realize the novelty of having all these toys on my phone is wearing off and it's not all that useful to me. Plus I discovered today that the alarm clock on it isn't loud enough to wake me up, my girlfriend is complaining about call quality and even after a full night of charging, I barely used the phone today from 8AM to 2PM. By 2PM it said I had 10% battery left and I had to plug it in. WiFi turned off. My Centro would go days without having to recharge. Even with mild daily use and talking on the phone for a hour, two nights in a row.

At $20 more per month over my old plan, having to recharge in the middle of the day and not feeling like the phone is physically as tough for daily life as my old Centro, I'm thinking I would be better off without it.

So I have a few questions about returning the phone on Sprint.

1. If I return the phone I know I'll get my money back, but will my renewed contract also become un-renewed? As in, I'm free to move to another carrier in a few months once my current contract is up?

2. If I decide to stay with Sprint with my old phone and my old plan, do I need to renew another two year contract or can I be contract free on sprint?

3. If I decide in say three months that I do want a new phone, can I renew my contract then and get a discount on a new phone? Do I still have 30 days with that new phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by roxics View Post
    1. If I return the phone I know I'll get my money back, but will my renewed contract also become un-renewed? As in, I'm free to move to another carrier in a few months once my current contract is up?
    Don't take my word for golden but I do believe that's the case.

2. If I decide to stay with Sprint with my old phone and my old plan, do I need to renew another two year contract or can I be contract free on sprint?
    Again, don't take my word for golden (ask the folks in the store before doing anything) but I believe you'll go back to being on a month-to-month basis with them. But here's the klinker, depending on what your old plan was, you're not going to be able to go back to your old plan without major assistance from the retentions team. It says it pretty clearly on the agreement you signed for the new 2 year contract, if your old plan isn't one that's currently available you won't be able to go back to it even if you return your phone.

3. If I decide in say three months that I do want a new phone, can I renew my contract then and get a discount on a new phone? Do I still have 30 days with that new phone?
    On the first part of this question I believe the answer is yes, you can always redo the contract if you've returned the phone from the previous contract (within 30 days of course). The second part of your question is currently the subject of debate. Some say, and report that they have, that you get a full 30 days for each phone. Others say, and report that they've experienced this as well, that the 30 days is cumulative. For instance, if you trialed one phone for 10 days you've got 20 days to trial the next phone. I believe that's if you take the phone back and get a second phone on the spot. If you delay getting the second phone this may not be an issue.
    Terry Rodecker

Palm Pilot -> Palm V -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> 700wx -> ppc6700 -> BB 8830 -> Pre -> iPhone (company requirement) -> TouchPad
    If you return the phone, you are no longer obligated to keep your new contract terms. You would be free to move to another carrier in a few months.
    You didn't say what your old plan was. If it's a discontinued plan, you cannot return to it. I suspect, from the price you mentioned, that it was.
    Yes on the first part, but I don't know if you get another 30 days. I think there's a waiting period before you're eligible to get another 30 day trial, but I don't know that for sure.