Page 1 of 19 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    HOW TO: Get Sprint firmware/apps on Bell Pre

I've managed to get the Sprint firmware and apps flashed onto my Bell Pre. Everything looks like it's working fine, instructions below.

Root access is not needed

***Use these instructions at your own risk!***

Here's an easy way to get the Sprint app files.

Download Sprint WebOS Doctor 1.4 for Pre here.

Download Sprint WebOS Doctor 1.4 for Pixi here.

Use 7zip or Stuffit to extract the .jar file into its own folder (Ex. if the file is webosdoctor.jar then extract it to a webosdoctor\ folder.)

NOTE: WinZip corrupts the ipk files and give the invalid magic error, when installing on your device - Thanks, Quintus

You can find Sprint.tar in /webosdoctorp100ewwsprint/resources.

Extract Sprint.tar (you can use 7zip or Winzip) and then install the ipk's to your WebOS device using the method below.

Here's what Sprint.tar should contain:

amazonservice_1.0-5_armv7.ipk
    audiod-config-sprint_1.0-4_castle.ipk
    cdmacustomization-sprint_1.0.0-17_armv7.ipk
    com.handson.app.nascar_1.0-34_armv7.ipk
    com.handson.app.nfl_1.0-28_armv7.ipk
    com.mobitv.app.sprinttv_1.0-36.4_armv7.ipk
    com.palm.app.amazonstore_1.0-62.2_armv7.ipk
    com.palm.app.sprintportal_1.0-7_armv7.ipk
    com.telenav.app.sprintnavigation_1.0.0-64_armv7.ipk
    com.telenav.sprintnavigation_1.0.0-64_armv7.ipk
    dmtree-sprint_1.0.0-1_armv7.ipk
    mobitv-sprint-rtspsrc_1.0.0-16.1_armv7.ipk
    palmcustomizationinfo-sprint_1.0-171_all.ipk
    provisioner_1.0.0-7_armv7.ipk
    sweatshop-sprint-castle_1.1-24_armv7.ipk

Thanks Jason!

Installing to your pre:

Quote Originally Posted by Quintus and Jason Robitaille

(1) First off, you need to have novacom installed on your PC. To do this, goto the WebOS Quick Install thread and follow the instructions there.

(2) To be able to use the "novacom" commands, you have to download the Palm SDK Mojo first and install it. It is not enough to just have novacom loaded and installed on your PC. You can download the Palm SDK from this link:

Registration

(3) Put your Pre into dev mode by typing "upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart” from the launcher page. Turn DevMode "ON". Your Pre will reset. Plug your Pre into your PC's USB port and choose "Just Charge".

(4) Transfer the apps you want to the Pre. Do this in WebOSQuickInstall by Tools->Send File. Drag the ipk file onto the window. Then, in the destination text field, type: /
    Then send the file.

(5) Now you need to set the Pre to Read/Write instead of Read Only. To do this,
    In the WebOS Quick Install menu, go Tools->Linux Commandline.

(6) Once you have your Pre in read/write mode then type "ipkg install /file.ipk" (where file.ipk is the name of the ipk, for example "ipkg install /com.palm.app.amazonstore_1.0-62.2_armv7.ipk) and press enter.

(7) After, type "rm -f /file.ipk" (where file.ipk is the name of the ipk, like before).

(8) Turn off Dev.Mode which will reset your Pre.
    To uninstall the apps:

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille

(1) In the WebOS Quick Install menu, go Tools->Linux Commandline.

(2) Now you need to know the package id of what you want to remove. Thankfully most of the ids are included in the ipk names.
    ex./ IPK: com.telenav.app.sprintnavigation_1.0.0-64_armv7.ipk
    Package: com.telenav.app.sprintnavigation

(3) Then, type "ipkg remove packageid", where packageid is the package id (for example "ipkg remove com.telenav.app.sprintnavigation").
    Thanks Jason and Quintus!

Working apps: Amazon MP3, Sprint Navagation, Sprint Link

Sprint Navigation requires you to create an account, it's not recommended to enter your email address, only your first and last name

Apps that are not able to "connect to the server" are: the NFL App and the NASCAR App

Perhaps, setting up a VPN would fix that, I'm looking into it.

Let me know how this goes for you guys.

Thanks!

Working apps: Amazon MP3, Sprint Navagation, Sprint Link

Sprint Navigation requires you to create an account, it's not recommended to enter your email address, only your first and last name

Apps that are not able to "connect to the server" are: the NFL App and the NASCAR App

Perhaps, setting up a VPN would fix that, I'm looking into it.

Let me know how this goes for you guys.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by diov; 02/27/2010 at 08:26 PM. Reason: updated for webos 1.4
    Any way to pull sprint nav off and install the ipk on bell firmware?
  3.    #3  
    I'm still working on cracking it open and extracting the app, this is just a start.
    Why not install the sprint firmware apps from the Sprint.tar in the Sprint WebOSDoctor?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Why not install the sprint firmware apps from the Sprint.tar in the Sprint WebOSDoctor?
    Thanks Jason, I'll try be sure to try that!

great job on WebOS Quick Install BTW.
    For those wondering, the contents of the Sprint.tar file are:
    Code:
    amazonservice_1.0-5_armv7.ipk
    audiod-config-sprint_1.0-4_castle.ipk
    cdmacustomization-sprint_1.0.0-17_armv7.ipk
    com.handson.app.nascar_1.0-34_armv7.ipk
    com.handson.app.nfl_1.0-28_armv7.ipk
    com.mobitv.app.sprinttv_1.0-36.4_armv7.ipk
    com.palm.app.amazonstore_1.0-62.2_armv7.ipk
    com.palm.app.sprintportal_1.0-7_armv7.ipk
    com.telenav.app.sprintnavigation_1.0.0-64_armv7.ipk
    com.telenav.sprintnavigation_1.0.0-64_armv7.ipk
    dmtree-sprint_1.0.0-1_armv7.ipk
    mobitv-sprint-rtspsrc_1.0.0-16.1_armv7.ipk
    palmcustomizationinfo-sprint_1.0-171_all.ipk
    provisioner_1.0.0-7_armv7.ipk
    sweatshop-sprint-castle_1.1-24_armv7.ipk
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Jason,

Does this mean you could lift the Sprint Navigation software and port it over to a Bell Pre?
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Would bell see that as using GPS or would they just think you are using more data? Have you checked your bill to make sure you aren't getting charged for the Sprint Nav?
    Bell Pre- running 2.1 @ 800MHz
    Samsung Galaxy Tab (stock)
    Quote Originally Posted by TyBec View Post
    Would bell see that as using GPS or would they just think you are using more data? Have you checked your bill to make sure you aren't getting charged for the Sprint Nav?
    I belie it goes through data usage. Honestly not sure the full extent of its usage

EDIT:

Oh, and I should note the ipk files need to be installed to the base, not /var, so don't use WebOSQuickInstall or the palm-install script to install it
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    I belie it goes through data usage. Honestly not sure the full extent of its usage

EDIT:

Oh, and I should note the ipk files need to be installed to the base, not /var, so don't use WebOSQuickInstall or the palm-install script to install it
    Do you know possibly what could be used instead?
    Quote Originally Posted by diov View Post
    Do you know possibly what could be used instead?
    There's 3 steps to get it from your computer to installed on your device:

1. Transfer to the Pre. Do this in WebOSQuickInstall by Tools->Send File. Drag the ipk file onto the window. Then, in the destination text field, type: /
      Then send the file.
    2. Install the ipk. This requires Novacom (which you'll have already installed if you use WebOSQuickInstall)
      • For Windows, go StartMenu->Run...->"cmd.exe"
      • For Mac/Linux, open Terminal

Type "novacom -t open tty://"

Now type "ipkg install /file.ipk" (where file.ipk is the name of the ipk, for example "ipkg install /com.palm.app.amazonstore_1.0-62.2_armv7.ipk)
    3. Now we delete the ipk file to clean things up.
      Type "rm -f /file.ipk" (where file.ipk is the name of the ipk, like before)
  12.    #12  
    Thanks Jason!

You guys should be able to install them without wiping your pre's now. Let me know if you guys have any problems with it.
    If someone could verify my above method works, it'd be appreciated
    Jason, it does work using your method. Piece of cake.

I just installed Sprint Navigation. There are two separate packages -- com.telenav.sprintnavigation must be installed before com.telenav.app.sprintnavigation. After installation, you must reboot the Pre to see the icon appear in the Launcher. It does load, but unfortunately it requires a Login (First Name, Last Name and optionally email.) I am afraid to go further. I am not sure what will happen logging in from a Bell unit in Canada. Does anyone have the answer?
  15.    #15  
    I believe it's asking you to create an account. Ex. I put di as my first name and ov as my last name.

Everything works the same after, except you'll get a working Sprint nav.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Help! I am following Jason's instructions and when I type "novacom -t open tty://" in the command line, I get an error message that "novacom is not recognized as an internal or external command."

I am using webos quick install so I must have novacom installed. I also hit the "reinstall novacom" button in WebOS Quick Install but that doesn't solve it. I also noticed that "Palm Novacom" is shown in the bottom tray and there is an option to "remove Palm Novacom" when the Pre is plugged into the computer via USB.

What else am I missing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    Help! I am following Jason's instructions and when I type "novacom -t open tty://" in the command line, I get an error message that "novacom is not recognized as an internal or external command."

I am using webos quick install so I must have novacom installed. I also hit the "reinstall novacom" button in WebOS Quick Install but that doesn't solve it. I also noticed that "Palm Novacom" is shown in the bottom tray and there is an option to "remove Palm Novacom" when the Pre is plugged into the computer via USB.

What else am I missing?
    Very strange. I'm adding a Linux command option to the next WOSQI (v2.73), so that should make things easier
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Jason,

Thanks for the quick response. I guess this means I can do nothing until you release WOSQI v. 2.73, right?

Interestingly, I tried the same command on my laptop which also has WOSQI installed and I get the same error message.

Edit: I sure hope I didn't mess things up. Instead of waiting for Jason, I decided to try to install the ipk files directly using WOSQI's "+" option. The Sprint Navigation installed but when I try to sign in or even go to Preferences, I receive this error:

"An Exception Occurred

The Sprint Navigation Adapter experienced an exception: Object # has no method "callService".

To make matters worse, I can't delete the application. Whenever I try to do so, it gives me the "Delete" option, I proceed, confirm and the app disappears for a second and then comes back.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Quintus; 10/07/2009 at 10:56 AM.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    BTW,

I installed both packages "com.telenav.sprintnavigation" and "com.telenav.app.sprintnavigation".

Still no go. Same error message.
    Quote Originally Posted by diov View Post
    I believe it's asking you to create an account. Ex. I put di as my first name and ov as my last name.

Everything works the same after, except you'll get a working Sprint nav.
    BTW, I am not clear, are you a Sprint Customer?

I think it is asking me to log in, not create an account. I suspect if I was a Sprint customer, I would have an account setup automatically, probably associated with my phone number. The first and last name are probably not log in credentials, just there for info.

So you entered "di", then "ov", then "everything works the same". What do you mean by that last part?
Page 1 of 19 12345611 ... LastLast