Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    Hey guys. Thanks for all the instructions and useful tools. I am in the process of getting Sprint Nav to work, but keep getting an error when trying to unpack the sprint files on the device

root@castle:/# ipkg install /com.telenav.sprintnavigation_1.0.0-64_armv7.ipk
    ipkg install /com.telenav.sprintnavigation_1.0.0-64_armv7.ipk
    ipkg: Invalid magic

Any suggestion on how to proceed?

Thanks a bunch!
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by llandry View Post
    Hey guys. Thanks for all the instructions and useful tools. I am in the process of getting Sprint Nav to work, but keep getting an error when trying to unpack the sprint files on the device

root@castle:/# ipkg install /com.telenav.sprintnavigation_1.0.0-64_armv7.ipk
    ipkg install /com.telenav.sprintnavigation_1.0.0-64_armv7.ipk
    ipkg: Invalid magic

Any suggestion on how to proceed?

Thanks a bunch!
    I think you just need to read the instructions in the initial post one more time. Not sure why you have two ipkg install commands for the same file.

You should be typing: "ipkg install /com.telenav.sprintnavigation_1.0.0-64_armv7.ipk" ENTER

Then type "ipkg install /com.telenav.app.sprintnavigation_1.0.0-64_armv7.ipk" ENTER

Should work if you followed the rest of the instructions correctly.
    Last edited by Quintus; 11/07/2009 at 07:12 PM.
    Well, I'm obviously missing something here. Others have had success, so there has to be something that' I'm doing wrong.

Have re-installed everything listed in the steps, have gone through the steps and still getting that "Invalid Magic" error when trying to unpack on the device.

Attached is a snapshot that shows the file listed on the device, and shows the command entered with the result.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    Ok. If anyone else out there is following this thread, I have figured it out! There seems to be some basic steps that I was missing and hence the problems I was having in following Jason's instructions.

I figured this all out by going to a myriad of resources. Strangely enough, the information was not in any one location. Credit goes to sassansanai on the Palm Forums for posting the read-only/read-write codes, palmprehacks.com for the SDK link, diov for starting this thread and figuring out how to get the Sprint apps onto the Pre and, of course, Jason for showing us how to do it without having to use WebOS Doctor on our Pre! THANK YOU ALL!!!!

(1) First off, you need to have novacom installed on your PC. To do this, goto the WebOS Quick Install thread and follow the instructions there.

(2) To be able to use the "novacom" commands, you have to download the Palm SDK Mojo first and install it. It is not enough to just have novacom loaded and installed on your PC. You can download the Palm SDK from this link:

Registration

(3) Put your Pre into dev mode by typing "upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart” from the launcher page. Turn DevMode "ON". Your Pre will reset. Plug your Pre into your PC's USB port and choose "Charge Only".

(4) Install the apps you want to the Pre by following Jason's instructions for installing to the Pre found on page 1 of this thread.

(5) Now you need to set the Pre to Read/Write instead of Read Only. To do this, you open up the cmd menu on your PC (Start Menu, choose "Run" then type "cmd" or "cmd.exe") then type: "novacom -t open tty://" Then type "mount -o remount,rw /". Your Pre is now in read/write mode.

(6) Once you have your Pre in read/write mode then follow Jason's instructions for installing or "rooting" the app using the "ipkg install /file.ipk" command.

(7) Clean-up your pre after the install by following Jason's instructions and deleting the ipk's by using the "rm -f /file.ipk" command.

(8) To return your Pre to read-only after you've installed your apps - type: "mount -o remount,ro /"

(9) Turn off Dev.Mode which will reset your Pre.

Voila! And that is how I loaded Sprint Navigation on my Bell Pre!

For the newbies out there, this is not as complicated as it looks. Follow these instructions carefully and you will be fine.

Now I'm going to drive around the block with Sprint Navigation and try not to get lost.
    Try installing it this way and see if it still gives you the same error. I know that Jason has simplified matters by introducing the Linux Command Line in WebOS Quick Install but try it this way and see what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by llandry View Post
    Have re-installed everything listed in the steps, have gone through the steps and still getting that "Invalid Magic" error when trying to unpack on the device
    Invalid magic generally happens when the file is damaged
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I just tried this, the process is super easy, I thought I would have to do like a million things but everything is well explain. Just tried the sprint nav app and OMG love it...now I don't care about the google map application on the driod :P
  7.    #87  
    In case anyone's wondering, the same steps should work for WebOS 1.3.1. I'm testing updating with the apps installed and I'll keep you guys posted.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Ovenight, my Bell Pre ran the OS update on its own. I had 30 patches installed and Sprint Nav. Happy to report that my Pre is all good. I ran the Emergency Patch Removal after the update and am now in the process of re-installing all my favourite patches.

To get the point, however, Sprint Nav works just fine with 1.3.1. Since my Pre updated on its own, I didn't have time to do anything to prepare for it. Luckily, all is well.
  9. Vij
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diov View Post
    In case anyone's wondering, the same steps should work for WebOS 1.3.1. I'm testing updating with the apps installed and I'll keep you guys posted.
    Yes, I was wondering about this in a 1.3.1 world! I think I will give this a shot tonight and try 'er out tomorrow driving around Fredericton (here for 1 week). Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by diov View Post
    Does anyone know if the Sprint Apps are working on the GSM Pres across the pond?
    Telenav does offer european maps, but wouldn't you have to get carrier specific dependencies for it to pull down the correct maps for it to work?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    Try installing it this way and see if it still gives you the same error. I know that Jason has simplified matters by introducing the Linux Command Line in WebOS Quick Install but try it this way and see what happens.
    Still the same command result: IPKG: Invalid Magic
    You guys seriously rock!!!!!

anyone with a Bell Pre in Canada MUST get the Sprint Nav App it's absolutely ridiculous.
    you can search for like a Boston Pizza close by and it will give you the exact route to find it

Also, it gives VOICE DIRECTIONS --- for those of you who do not have voice (i've seen a couple people voice concerns about this) the new Sprint.jar file has voice

the old one was

com.telenav.app.sprintnavigation_1.0.0-64_armv7.ipk
    com.telenav.sprintnavigation_1.0.0-64_armv7.ipk

the new ones are:

com.telenav.sprintnavigation_1.0.0-66_armv7.ipk
    com.telenav.app.sprintnavigation_1.0.0-66_armv7.ipk

also, what is the point of the other sprint stuff? what else works? and what are their uses?

i seen amazon -- does this have funcionality ? or do I need a US account / credit card etc. ?

thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaurav View Post
    Telenav does offer european maps, but wouldn't you have to get carrier specific dependencies for it to pull down the correct maps for it to work?
    Good point, it's not like a GPS would know that it's in Europe. Oh wait...
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkadelick View Post
    You guys seriously rock!!!!!

anyone with a Bell Pre in Canada MUST get the Sprint Nav App it's absolutely ridiculous.
    you can search for like a Boston Pizza close by and it will give you the exact route to find it

Also, it gives VOICE DIRECTIONS --- for those of you who do not have voice (i've seen a couple people voice concerns about this) the new Sprint.jar file has voice

the old one was

com.telenav.app.sprintnavigation_1.0.0-64_armv7.ipk
    com.telenav.sprintnavigation_1.0.0-64_armv7.ipk

the new ones are:

com.telenav.sprintnavigation_1.0.0-66_armv7.ipk
    com.telenav.app.sprintnavigation_1.0.0-66_armv7.ipk

also, what is the point of the other sprint stuff? what else works? and what are their uses?

i seen amazon -- does this have funcionality ? or do I need a US account / credit card etc. ?

thanks
    Yup - just updated my Sprint Nav to the latest one from the 1.3.1 Sprint WOSDoctor. Seems to be working just fine.

Jason's instructions for removing the ipkgs and installing worked like a charm.
    so before I go through installing sprint navigation, will it work on my uk pre on o2 network?
  16.    #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by screamindemonuk View Post
    so before I go through installing sprint navigation, will it work on my uk pre on o2 network?
    I'm not entirely sure, but the worst the likely could happen would be having to use WebOS Doctor on your Pre.

Basically, it's your call if your feeling adventurous than give it a shot but, if you want to play it safe that's cool to.
  17.    #97  
    would anyone be willing to test out pixi support and report back?
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Sprint Nav is working fine for me since the update. Any reason that I should bother updating the app to version 1.0.0-66? Are there any new features?
  19.    #99  
    No new features that I'm aware of, other than being WebOS 1.3.1 compatible.
    Hi, Im on O2 GSM and have managed to install Sprint Navigation, but when I go to log in I get this message

Could not Log IN

Could not obtain neccisary information:
    Carrier network returned failure

Any tips or ways around this or is it just a no go?

Thanks

EDIT: Just notices HaPe's having the same problem, dont suppose you found away around this HaPe?
    Last edited by BrickTop; 11/25/2009 at 08:06 PM.
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast