Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    Jason,

Thanks for the quick response. I guess this means I can do nothing until you release WOSQI v. 2.73, right?

Interestingly, I tried the same command on my laptop which also has WOSQI installed and I get the same error message.

Edit: I sure hope I didn't mess things up. Instead of waiting for Jason, I decided to try to install the ipk files directly using WOSQI's "+" option. The Sprint Navigation installed but when I try to sign in or even go to Preferences, I receive this error:

"An Exception Occurred

The Sprint Navigation Adapter experienced an exception: Object # has no method "callService".

To make matters worse, I can't delete the application. Whenever I try to do so, it gives me the "Delete" option, I proceed, confirm and the app disappears for a second and then comes back.

Any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Oh, and I should note the ipk files need to be installed to the base, not /var, so don't use WebOSQuickInstall or the palm-install script to install it
    Help!

Stupid....stupid...stupid. Should have read the entire thread before thinking that I could do this!!!

Ok, am I totally toast now?
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubuntite
    I think it is asking me to log in, not create an account. I suspect if I was a Sprint customer, I would have an account setup automatically, probably associated with my phone number. The first and last name are probably not log in credentials, just there for info.
    i'm a bell customer not a sprint customer. I first thought the same thing as you but, gave it a shot and it works now.

I mean that nothing is broken when I entered my name to get it working.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Ok, I was able to uninstall Sprint Nav through Preware! Yeah!!!

Now I have to wait patiently for Jason to release the next update to WOSQI before I could start using Sprint Nav.

A big thanks to diov and Jason for figuring this out!
  4.    #24  
    Ok, I was able to uninstall Sprint Nav through Preware! Yeah!!!

Now I have to wait patiently for Jason to release the next update to WOSQI before I could start using Sprint Nav.

A big thanks to diov and Jason for figuring this out!
    If you really want to get it, you could always use the original steps above, that uses WebOS Doctor and "Bootie" mode.

It may be more risky though.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Thanks diov, but as I read those instructions, I am going to end up wiping my whole Pre, right? Can't afford to do that and then spend the time re-loading everything back onto the Pre.
    So Sprint Navigation is working fine. Does anyone know what some of these other apps do?

audiod-config-sprint
    cdmacustomization-sprint
    com.palm.app.sprintportal
    dmtree-sprint
    palmcustomizationinfo-sprint
    provisioner
    sweatshop-sprint-castle

Has anyone tried any of the other apps, such as SprintTV?
    The name thing that sprint asks for in navigation is so when you send your address/location the other person knows who you are.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubuntite View Post
    So Sprint Navigation is working fine. Does anyone know what some of these other apps do?

audiod-config-sprint
    cdmacustomization-sprint
    com.palm.app.sprintportal
    dmtree-sprint
    palmcustomizationinfo-sprint
    provisioner
    sweatshop-sprint-castle

Has anyone tried any of the other apps, such as SprintTV?
    Hope this helps,

com.palm.app.sprintportal is a link in the launcher to Sprint's Mobile web portal, you don't really need that.

cdmacustomization-sprint is the PRL for Sprint CDMA Pres, Bell customers won't need this either

audiod-config-sprint is an Audio Policy Manager with Sprint configuration

palmcustomizationinfo-sprint customization info specific to Sprint

provisioner handles provisioning sessions with the CDMA carrier server

dmtree-sprint is what I think is part of the WebOS framework, that is a variable so in this case it is specific to sprint, I think it stands for Data Management Tree

sweatshop-sprint-castle - I'm don't know about this one.

I've tried the NFL, NASCAR, Sprint TV and Amazon MP3 apps.

Amazon MP3 works perfect, except you will need an American Amazon account.

The NFL, NASCAR and Sprint TV apps work except they won'tallow you to use them unless your ip address is an American one, I'm looking into implementing a VPN so they can be fully functional.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Ok. If anyone else out there is following this thread, I have figured it out! There seems to be some basic steps that I was missing and hence the problems I was having in following Jason's instructions.

I figured this all out by going to a myriad of resources. Strangely enough, the information was not in any one location. Credit goes to sassansanai on the Palm Forums for posting the read-only/read-write codes, palmprehacks.com for the SDK link, diov for starting this thread and figuring out how to get the Sprint apps onto the Pre and, of course, Jason for showing us how to do it without having to use WebOS Doctor on our Pre! THANK YOU ALL!!!!

(1) First off, you need to have novacom installed on your PC. To do this, goto the WebOS Quick Install thread and follow the instructions there.

(2) To be able to use the "novacom" commands, you have to download the Palm SDK Mojo first and install it. It is not enough to just have novacom loaded and installed on your PC. You can download the Palm SDK from this link:

Registration

(3) Put your Pre into dev mode by typing "upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart” from the launcher page. Turn DevMode "ON". Your Pre will reset. Plug your Pre into your PC's USB port and choose "Charge Only".

(4) Install the apps you want to the Pre by following Jason's instructions for installing to the Pre found on page 1 of this thread.

(5) Now you need to set the Pre to Read/Write instead of Read Only. To do this, you open up the cmd menu on your PC (Start Menu, choose "Run" then type "cmd" or "cmd.exe") then type: "novacom -t open tty://" Then type "mount -o remount,rw /". Your Pre is now in read/write mode.

(6) Once you have your Pre in read/write mode then follow Jason's instructions for installing or "rooting" the app using the "ipkg install /file.ipk" command.

(7) Clean-up your pre after the install by following Jason's instructions and deleting the ipk's by using the "rm -f /file.ipk" command.

(8) To return your Pre to read-only after you've installed your apps - type: "mount -o remount,ro /"

(9) Turn off Dev.Mode which will reset your Pre.

Voila! And that is how I loaded Sprint Navigation on my Bell Pre!

For the newbies out there, this is not as complicated as it looks. Follow these instructions carefully and you will be fine.

Now I'm going to drive around the block with Sprint Navigation and try not to get lost.
    Hey I might try this since I want to get paid apps on my Pre when I get it in November and I will have bell. I was thinking though that instead of putting a Sprint version of the OS on our phones Jason could put a tweak web os quick install that allows paid apps in Canada. Could you please do it? It would be awesome until Canada officially gets paid apps. I don't really care about the Sprint Navigation although the Amazon store would be pretty sweet.
  11.    #31  
    I don't think a tweak would be possible in WebOS Quick Install because the app catalog is also linked to your Palm Profile. Also, you don't need to run the sprint OS on your Pre, you can install them using the updated directions, thanks to Jason.
  12.    #32  
    Ok. If anyone else out there is following this thread, I have figured it out! There seems to be some basic steps that I was missing and hence the problems I was having in following Jason's instructions.

I figured this all out by going to a myriad of resources. Strangely enough, the information was not in any one location. Credit goes to sassansanai on the Palm Forums for posting the read-only/read-write codes, palmprehacks.com for the SDK link, diov for starting this thread and figuring out how to get the Sprint apps onto the Pre and, of course, Jason for showing us how to do it without having to use WebOS Doctor on our Pre! THANK YOU ALL!!!!

(1) First off, you need to have novacom installed on your PC. To do this, goto the WebOS Quick Install thread and follow the instructions there.

(2) To be able to use the "novacom" commands, you have to download the Palm SDK Mojo first and install it. It is not enough to just have novacom loaded and installed on your PC. You can download the Palm SDK from this link:

Registration

(3) Put your Pre into dev mode by typing "upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart” from the launcher page. Turn DevMode "ON". Your Pre will reset. Plug your Pre into your PC's USB port and choose "Charge Only".

(4) Install the apps you want to the Pre by following Jason's instructions for installing to the Pre found on page 1 of this thread.

(5) Now you need to set the Pre to Read/Write instead of Read Only. To do this, you open up the cmd menu on your PC (Start Menu, choose "Run" then type "cmd" or "cmd.exe") then type: "novacom -t open tty://" Then type "mount -o remount,rw /". Your Pre is now in read/write mode.

(6) Once you have your Pre in read/write mode then follow Jason's instructions for installing or "rooting" the app using the "ipkg install /file.ipk" command.

(7) Clean-up your pre after the install by following Jason's instructions and deleting the ipk's by using the "rm -f /file.ipk" command.

(8) To return your Pre to read-only after you've installed your apps - type: "mount -o remount,ro /"

(9) Turn off Dev.Mode which will reset your Pre.

Voila! And that is how I loaded Sprint Navigation on my Bell Pre!

For the newbies out there, this is not as complicated as it looks. Follow these instructions carefully and you will be fine.

Now I'm going to drive around the block with Sprint Navigation and try not to get lost.
    Thanks Quintus, great job. I'll update the post to include these.
    Last edited by diov; 10/08/2009 at 09:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by diov View Post
    I don't think a tweak would be possible in WebOS Quick Install because the app catalog is also linked to your Palm Profile. Also, you don't need to run the sprint OS on your Pre, you can install them using the updated directions, thanks to Jason.
    Oh thanks so if I follow those instructions I can get paid apps on the catalog?
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darksniper404 View Post
    No. I think what he means is that it cannot be done because your Palm Profile is going to identify your Pre as Canadian. We Canucks are just going to have to wait. Hopefully not too long.
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by darksniper404 View Post
    In theory, you'll need to create an American Palm Profile, then you'll need to add your payment information. So, because you'll likely need to enter a different Palm Profile you'll have to wipe your pre. You can use WebOS Doctor and the instructions in the individual post, I haven't tested paid app access in Canada though.
    Last edited by diov; 10/08/2009 at 09:16 PM.
    Hope this helps,

The NFL, NASCAR and Sprint TV apps work except they won'tallow you to use them unless your ip address is an American one, I'm looking into implementing a VPN so they can be fully functional.
    This is great, diov. Thanks. Keep me posted in regards to your progress on the VPN. BTW, will that also be usable by other non-phone machines? (i.e. will I be able to access Hulu from my laptop?)
  17.    #37  
    thanks Ubuntite, ill keep you posted. Right now, i'm not to sure if it will work with Hulu because Hotspot shield, which is a Vpn based in the US doesn't work with hulu. it may vary though. It definitly will work on your PC.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Thanks Quintus, great job. I'll update the post to include these.
    Thanks diov! BTW, we should also post the linux command for uninstalling the Sprint apps for when the next WebOS hits or can you just hold the orange button and delete like any other app?
    Updated instructions for WebOS Quick Install v2.8:

1. Transfer to the Pre. Do this in WebOSQuickInstall by Tools->Send File. Drag the ipk file onto the window. Then, in the destination text field, type: /
      Then send the file.
    2. In the WebOS Quick Install menu, go Tools->Linux Commandline.
      • Type "ipkg install /file.ipk" (where file.ipk is the name of the ipk, for example "ipkg install /com.palm.app.amazonstore_1.0-62.2_armv7.ipk) and press enter.
      • After, type "rm -f /file.ipk" (where file.ipk is the name of the ipk, like before)

And to uninstall the apps:
    • In the WebOS Quick Install menu, go Tools->Linux Commandline.
    • Now you need to know the package id of what you want to remove. Thankfully most of the ids are included in the ipk names.
      ex./ IPK: com.telenav.app.sprintnavigation_1.0.0-64_armv7.ipk
      Package: com.telenav.app.sprintnavigation
    • Then, type "ipkg remove packageid", where packageid is the package id (for example "ipkg remove com.telenav.app.sprintnavigation")
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Updated instructions for WebOS Quick Install v2.8:

1. Transfer to the Pre. Do this in WebOSQuickInstall by Tools->Send File. Drag the ipk file onto the window. Then, in the destination text field, type: /
      Then send the file.
    2. In the WebOS Quick Install menu, go Tools->Linux Commandline.
      • Type "ipkg install /file.ipk" (where file.ipk is the name of the ipk, for example "ipkg install /com.palm.app.amazonstore_1.0-62.2_armv7.ipk) and press enter.
      • After, type "rm -f /file.ipk" (where file.ipk is the name of the ipk, like before)

And to uninstall the apps:
    • In the WebOS Quick Install menu, go Tools->Linux Commandline.
    • Now you need to know the package id of what you want to remove. Thankfully most of the ids are included in the ipk names.
      ex./ IPK: com.telenav.app.sprintnavigation_1.0.0-64_armv7.ipk
      Package: com.telenav.app.sprintnavigation
    • Then, type "ipkg remove packageid", where packageid is the package id (for example "ipkg remove com.telenav.app.sprintnavigation")
    Thanks Jason! I'll update the instructions to include this.
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast