Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Sooo... keyboard randomly stopped working today. Sprint is shipping me another. Went through 4 Pres within 3 weeks of release back in June, but this one lasted me until now. Back to the ol' touch pro.

Maybe time to upgrade to a Hero? I work away from my office most of the time and i'm worried it'll fail again when i need it most. Love the Pre (minus the glacial pace at releasing apps, the stupid BS back-and-forth with Apple and the miserable build quality) Think I'd be able to wrangle a Hero out of Sprint with all the problems I've had?

I really dig the Hero's UI customization and also having a "today" screen instead of having to go into different apps to check the weather, twitter, etc.

*release the hounds!*
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Before sending back I would try numeros (3-4) resets. a partial erase if that don;t work and or a battery pull to get it back working..( Worked for me )
    I had that happen once...reset didn't work, but a battery pull and wait for 30 seconds did. Give that a try before sending it back. It happened to me only that one time (about 3 weeks ago).
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    youre just doomed man
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    question are u using a case on the phone ?
    I have seen many phones with this issue and there is nothing wrong with the phone,
    the keypad cable gets lose if u take out the battery and press the back of the phone a little hard it usually works again.

hope this helps
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Oh man... once again I should've checked with you fine folks on the boards first before doing a full erase.

I tried doing several soft reset and then did a full erase to try and fix it with no luck. The guy at Sprint didn't seemed surprised and only suggested the full erase before saying he was sending me another one at no charge.

Haven't been using a case... just have it loose in my pocket all day when i'm not using it. I noticed the back is pretty worn just from my pocket. I'm pretty good with my phones for the most part and i'm shocked it's looked as beat-up as it is when i haven't dropped it.

I really would've preferred to just keep my current one without a reset (forgot that i hadn't backed up my pictures from the sidelines of a recent NFL game) but i guess i can't argue with a new phone for free. Hope it's not refurbished.
    Hmmm...my Pre keyboard stopped working out of the blue tonight too.... I also tried a soft and a hard reset to no avail.... of course, I had not looked here first (boo!). I tried taking the battery out, and that fixed it right up ! It works now anyways, but no clue if it will stay that way....
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Digging up an old topic, but this happened to me today.

I was typing a text message and it got stuck on the letter i. I tried to close the card but then it kept trying to type I (and use the search function) the launcher page kept opening and closing. Very weird.

Resetting the phone didn't work but pulling out the battery and putting it back in did.

This has me a little worried about my Pre. It has been slightly oreoing since I bought it, but I got it off ebay and couldn't exchange it. Now this. If it breaks I'm out $300.

If it goes out completely I'll just install the virtual keyboard and try to get Sprint to add insurance to my plan so I can replace it in a few months.

Anyone else have any trouble since they did the battery reset?
    Quote Originally Posted by hawt View Post
    Digging up an old topic, but this happened to me today.

I was typing a text message and it got stuck on the letter i. I tried to close the card but then it kept trying to type I (and use the search function) the launcher page kept opening and closing. Very weird.

Resetting the phone didn't work but pulling out the battery and putting it back in did.

This has me a little worried about my Pre. It has been slightly oreoing since I bought it, but I got it off ebay and couldn't exchange it. Now this. If it breaks I'm out $300.

If it goes out completely I'll just install the virtual keyboard and try to get Sprint to add insurance to my plan so I can replace it in a few months.

Anyone else have any trouble since they did the battery reset?
    Id just add insurace to your account... I never buy my phone from a store always craigslist, ebay, or something like that because im allergic to contracts. If u just keep insurace on and do a online esn swap they never give me problems
    Happened to me 20 minutes ago. Glad I did come here first because I was about to take it to Sprint. The battery pull worked.
    So does anybody know why this happens? My keyboard stopped working as well earlier today, luckily I had the virtual keyboard installed so I just searched on how to fix it and took out the battery, put it back in and started working.
    definitely time for you to get a hero. Why waste your time constantly dealing with these issues. tyou and the pre aren't meant to be. Get a hero.
    Haha. It must be something in the air today. Mine stopped working also. ***? It is a conspiracy by palm? haha.
    Had the same issue with my previous Pre (as well as a power button issue). Because of all the problems I've had going through many Pres I was able to talk Sprint into replacing it for the Hero for free. But I decided I wanted to hang onto the Pre just in case the magical update that fixes everything comes along and instead just had Sprint reset my discount eligibility date so I could buy the Hero at the $179 discounted price. So now I have both phones but the Hero is the one currently activated.
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    wow I'm still on my first pre (bought it at launch) with no hardware issues
    I'm still on my launch day Pre also. This was the first time my keyboard or anything didn't work right for me. ( Just popped out the battery and everything was fine) I won't be giving up my Pre for anything. Unless Palm really tanks. I believe in WebOS.
    Pulling the battery has always been a top rated solution for any phone. I've had mostly Treo's, but toss in a couple of work Nextels, a Nokia and a couple of Siemens phones. Sooner or later something funky happens. You pull the battery and the phone resets itself and works fine.

My current work Nextel, a Motorola i710 is the worse. At least once every couple of month I can't get a signal. I pulled the battery and then it's fine for 2 more months
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    I am on my original Pre and haven't had any problems until recently. It's funny cause I was talking to my buddy who has one too and told him how I am still on my first one and haven't had any issues. Sure enough as luck would have it, a few days later I started having this same issue you guy are having with the Keyboard. It would do that or lag crazy bad. Battery pulls fix it, but it is becoming a headache when I do it multiple times a day. Also I have noticed it is over heating big time when charging. It is to the point it actually burned my hand when I touched it. Now the pictures I take with the Camera are starting to turn out with an Orange tint to them. Looks like I am gonna be swapping mine out for a new one here soon.

Also I was wondering the same thing as the OP. How likely is Sprint to let you swap your phone for a different one all together if you keep having problems with the Pre and you are on your 4th or 5th one?
    I have a similar post to this also. There's just too many issues, and I'm tired of dealing with it. This is expensive hardware, it shouldn't have this many issues. I hate the restart solution because the Pre takes longer to restart than a computer does. Plus, my phones in a case, getting the battery out is a huge hassle.