1.    #1  
    Has anyone gone from an android smartphone to the Pre?

I am asking because I know in the next few months, Verizon (I am on a Verizon family plan) is planning on releasing two Android handsets, and they partnered up with Google. This is the first time I have been torn in two over which phone to get.

I know someone that has an Android phone and he absolutely loves it. I also am a C++/Java developer, so being able to work with Java and android would be nice.

On the other hand...web OS looks awesome. I like the fact that it works well with google calendar (I have EVERYTHING on my google calendar) and I love the idea behind synergy.

However, I know there have been a lot of problems with the Pre hardware...

Damnit, I don't know what to do. I could get an android phone in the upcoming weeks (if the rumors are true), or I could wait till Jan. and get the Pre (if the CEO of Verizon wasn't lying).

I am not going to ask on here which phone to get, seeing as this is a Pre forum, but I am wondering what people have to say about making the switch from Android to Pre.
    I have done the Android to Pre switch. I had T-Mobile's G1 and it was an AWESOME phone (minus the hardware; clunkiness, weak processor for such an advanced OS, etc). I often miss my Android phone and that HTC hero coming to Sprint next week is very appealing. Android works great with EVERYTHING that google has to offer - it is a google phone afterall.

WebOS is great, Android is great, and I'm gonna leave it at that. I can't decide which is better. It really is a tough choice. The bottom line for me is that Sprint had better data than T-Mobile and the Pre was a cool phone and works well. However, the Pre is better as far as speed and looks and navigation. You can't go wrong with either.

If I could afford it, I would have the Pre and an Android phone like the HTC Hero and I would be perfectly happy. Since that isn't going to happen, I'll always have one and miss the other - regardless which one I have.
    If I help you out, why not "Thank" me? Or you can visit my site at http://outklaw.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Merton View Post

I am not going to ask on here which phone to get, seeing as this is a Pre forum, but I am wondering what people have to say about making the switch from Android to Pre.
    This doesn't quite answer the question you asked, but it may be of interest anyway....

One of my best buddies is reasonably computer savvy (worked professionally as a database programmer before becoming a casualty of the dotcom bust) and back around 2000 owned a Sony Clie (at that time a high-class Palm device clone that was better than Palm in some ways) because of my influence. A few months ago, he was in the market for a new smart phone after giving up on Windows Mobile. I tried to interest him in the Pre, this was just after it was released but he pretty much refused to have anything to do with it because it didn't have an SD card slot, which he considers essential. He ended up going with the Android G1 and is quite happy with it. Other than the obvious differences between the devices that you can find in any review, main difference is that on his carrier (I believe it is T-Mobile, it was the first people to market an Android phone) his internet is slow and not terribly reliable.

Firm testimony from a friend of a friend, the internet doesn't get any better than this, does it?

Sounds like you have the background to make an informed choice, there will be disadvantages to whichever you choose. So I'd make your best guess and go with it! For myself, I can switch phones in one year without penalty (as I understand it, this is available to anyone who has one of the "simply everything" plans required with the Pre), so I am giving Palm that much time to come up with a second-generation WebOS phone. If it doesn't look like they will come through with flying colors, I'll re-evaluate, and may go with something else myself.
    Mike B in OKlahoma

Palm V-->Palm Vx-->Palm m505-->Garmin iQue3600-->Treo 650-->Treo 755p-->Palm Pre

i have a palm pre and a samsung moment and other than multi tasking of the pre and the smaller keyboard the samsung moment with android is much better than the pre...wish i could put android on pre
    Still got a HTC Hero and the Pre. I tend to use the Pre more than the Hero as I think Android is a bit over-rated. It's nice to use bu there's just something a bit....dull about it. The apps are a bit lightweight and have that designed in my bedroom in 3 minutes feel about a lot of them. There's little consistency with them either, they don't talk to each other or to the OS in many cases and are like "widgets".
    Still, having said that the Hero is a very solid device, it doesn't wobble like the Pre and HTC have done a good job with the UI. There may be 10 000 plus apps for it but few of them have any real substance and are waaaaaaay behind the likes of apps for the iPhone. Plus, the onscreen keyboards on the two Android devices I have owned, Hero and Samsung Galaxy are dismal. I think that is the main reason I keep reaching for the Pre in the morning over them.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    If you guys want to get a "feel" for android to compare with webos, GET THE DROID!
    I hated the hero with android,it was SLOW and boring for some reason. I said to myself, forget android. Than I gave the droid a chance and BANG, this thing ROCKS!

They have apps that the iphone does not and probably will never have. I have an app that I can stream tv shows in great quality or option to downlaod to watch and own.
    I canceled rhapsody because I have an app that I can download any mp3 and keep it. It has no art work (some dont,some do) but I also have an app that pulls the art work from the net.

There are SO MANY great apps, but you have to have the droid to really enjoy the android expirience! Right now I also have the pre, canceled verizon but still have the droid. I must say, I am very close to canceling my 2 day sprint and go back to the EXPENSIVE verizon, just for the droid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preman View Post
    I canceled rhapsody because I have an app that I can download any mp3 and keep it. It has no art work (some dont,some do) but I also have an app that pulls the art work from the net.
    I can download any mp3 for free on my pre!!

just get the Multi Mod patch from preware (so you can download instead of stream)

then
    go to 4shared.com

last night I downloaded Zombie by The Cranberries
  8. qqq
    i had a G1 on Tmobile before getting the Pre. A lot of stuff was much better than the pre, but I was really annoyed by the way google made it practically impossible to use the phone without handing over all your contacts and stuff over to google and using their services. I'm probably one of the few eccentric freaks that gives a crap about privacy any more, of course.
    I have had both for some time. The Hero feels more robust and better built, and is faster than the Pre at most tasks. The Hero also has better battery life in my experience.
    I also find that the Hero browsing experience is better, because when the type is too small, all you do is pinch out, and the type gets bigger and the page reformats so there is no need for all the scrolling that I find myself doing on the Pre.
    the Hero is also surprisingly thin and light. owever, many people are having issues with dust getting under the screen - HTC says there is a fix in the works...
    One thing is for sure, if you want a real keyboard, the Hero is not for you ;-)In my opinion, the keyboard is almost the only true advantage the Pre has. I am more accurate on a physical keyboard than on a virtual one.
    I have a Pre & my girlfriend has a Hero i just got her. I prefer webos over the android for everything but apps. Apps are what keep me using her phone a lot! but webos feels more like a polished complete UI
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    I am in the same boat as the original poster. I have a Motorola Droid on Verizon and I find it is unstable at times. I have occasional missed calls, multiple alerts for the same message and occasional slow downs. It just seems to me that Android is just not a polished OS.

I am considering the Pre Plus but I am concerned with the privacy issues the Pre presents. I don't care for my information (app usage) transmitted to Palm or Verizon. The 512 MB memory is attractive though.
  12. sko
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGeek View Post
    I am in the same boat as the original poster. I have a Motorola Droid on Verizon and I find it is unstable at times. I have occasional missed calls, multiple alerts for the same message and occasional slow downs. It just seems to me that Android is just not a polished OS.

I am considering the Pre Plus but I am concerned with the privacy issues the Pre presents. I don't care for my information (app usage) transmitted to Palm or Verizon. The 512 MB memory is attractive though.
    Privacy Issues?
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    I was refering to the "phoning home" the Pre does to Palm. The sending of your usage data and GPS location.

Our Palm Pre is sending User Data to Palm - all things Palm Pre - PreThinking
    I cant see the Pre/webOS being ANY different than Android, or iPhone in the regard of information that is being transmitted, and in some ways is probably one of the companies(Palm) that retrieves information from your phone the least.

The best way to find out which company values your privacy most(especially if that is what is keeping you from webOS), is the hard way.. reading their Privacy Notices/End User Agreement(boring!) =/
  15. sko
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGeek View Post
    I was refering to the "phoning home" the Pre does to Palm. The sending of your usage data and GPS location.

Our Palm Pre is sending User Data to*Palm - all things Palm Pre - PreThinking
    Any other companies collecting these sorts of data?
    Quote Originally Posted by skohcl View Post
    Any other companies collecting these sorts of data?

Google for a fact I know does(actually collects more if I remember reading correctly), but as for iPhone, no clue, but since it uses location services with Google's Google Maps, you can bet that is uploaded to google for the same reason Palms is(ad's and what not)

Android Privacy Policy

Apple's iPhone Privacy Policy

Palm's Privacy Policy

Edit: As it'd appear, Palm is NO different and in some ways better if you read through all the fine print..
    Last edited by feyded1020; 01/24/2010 at 01:32 AM.