Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Any idea when the Pre will launch in France?

Though I am in the UK, by law, all phones in France have to be made available sim-free and unlocked - so worst case scenario = buy a Pre from France.

Germany will get it sim-free but they use QWERTZ keyboards

Any idea for the Pre launch in France?
    Last edited by c_man; 10/19/2009 at 04:57 AM.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    No news is bad news...
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    French Pres will most likely come with AZERTY keyboard!
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    ...yeah, good one! Don't jinx it :P

Surely we must have some friendly Frenchmen/women across the channel who has some intel on the Pre's release... unless it's not been marketed/advertised over there too.
    spud is right. A French version is almost certain to come with an AZERTY layout - which has more differences than a QWERTZ

and don't count on an unlocked version being a good deal. Orange was asking for €999 for an unlocked iphone when they first launched!
    Quote Originally Posted by c_man View Post
    Any idea when the Pre will launch in France?

Though I am in the UK, by law, all phones in France have to be made available sim-free and unlocked - so worst case scenario = buy a Pre from France.

Germany will get it sim-free but they use QWERTZ keyboards

Any idea for the Pre launch in France?
    A quote economic note:
    It is precisely this law- that all phone must be made unlocked- that is the reason why France did not get a GSM Palm Pre.

One of the reasons Sprint in the US or O2 in Europe picked up the Pre (or why carriers pick up other "hot" phones) is market exclusivity. The Pre is a "hot" phone and is a reason for people to switch to their network. So it makes it more valuable to a carrier to engage in talks with Palm; they can offer Palm a better deal.

So Palm is more likely to do deals in these countries.

This option doesn't exist in France, which is why they get the "hot" phones later than in other markets.

Another example of a well intentioned law that has opposite results:
    INTENTION: more phone are available to everyone
    RESULT: less phone are available.

Customers in other countries have a choice: a locked Pre or no Pre.
    Customers in France don't have the first choice.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts

Merci beaucoup for the info.
    Quote Originally Posted by lcapella View Post
    One of the reasons Sprint in the US or O2 in Europe picked up the Pre (or why carriers pick up other "hot" phones) is market exclusivity. The Pre is a "hot" phone and is a reason for people to switch to their network. So it makes it more valuable to a carrier to engage in talks with Palm; they can offer Palm a better deal

Could be a good solution for launching a new model that gathers high hopes, not a brand new Os that needs a mass market: I don't understand Palm's staff politics.
    This marketing trough exclusivities on careers is not effective and the sales will remain weak until those agreements end.
    It gets worse when the carriers choosen are note leading their market.
    Same error than the States for this launch: In Europe, Movistar is 4th and operating only in 4 countries, missing 2 (France and Italy) of the 4 Western Europe first markets

WebOs needs badly a viable ecosystem attractive to developpers to be credible, specially for business users, where the offer of WebOs softs is dramatically weak.

And for France, where I'm living in, the Pre will have lost lots of customers whose patience won't exceed a year after announcment...
    And while it would land there this device will be too aged compared to the other releases.

Too bad
    Last edited by Wayenberg; 10/20/2009 at 02:08 AM.
    u can change the question mark in the thread title to an exclamation one now. heh.

any hope for a non-AZERTY key config on the French Pre Plus?
    apparently the pre plus is going to retail at 149€ with a 2 year contract in march!
    the pixi plus will be around 50€.
    can't wait !!!
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Can it be bought without contract?
    well, seeing as there is a law that forbids any exclusive deals for new phones (since the iphone was launched), i'm guessing it's going to be available without a contract too, but that's just my opinion!
    Phones -in France- have always been sold without contract, it was just difficut to obtain it
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Great.. So maybe I have to go to france to get one.

Talked to several O2 representatives today and they said the pre plus will come to germany aswell. They just don't know when.. I don't know if this is true or just talkin..
    Quote Originally Posted by christcentric View Post
    any hope for a non-AZERTY key config on the French Pre Plus?
    None at all.
    I've an unlocked german Pre (QWERTZ) and there are no difficulties to use it.
    It's very similar to QWERTY keyboard.
    The keyboard is very well designed (like Treo models) and all keys, letters and numbers, are fully functionnal.
    Thanks to the dedicated keys for @ or . (dot) or french caracters such as ,,,...
    Even when i enter text in sms, the Pre propose automatically french caracters !

The most difficult is to find and enter the correct settings for "non official" carriers (Bouyges, SFR, ...)
    Once they are set, all is fine.
    is ZE #1 innovative software solutions for PalmOS and Palm webOS.

_________________________________________________________[/COLOR]