View Poll Results: Should Palm (Or Sprint) Offer refunds on the Paid App Store Apps?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

18 33.33%
  • No

36 66.67%
  1.    #1  
    Okay, so we are a few days into the age of the "Paid Palm Pre App".

As we have seen with homebrew versions of these apps before they graduated to the app store, there have been some minor glitches here and there.

My question is, if an app does not work correctly, or is not close to being what it is made out to be ont the app store (IE Air Hockey...no sound etc) should there be some type of refund system in place for us.

I don't want to see money taken out of the developers hands, but if Palm decides to put it in their app store, the burden should fall on them and their QC people.

Sprint phones of the past have allowed refunds on their downloads if something went awry. You would go into "My Content Manager" and choose from various options as to why you were requesting the refund. It would be credited on your next bill with a limit on how many times you could request a refund.

For example, I purchaed Tetris Mania a few years back. It would not load at all properly, and I requested a refund and it was granted with no problems. I just feel that we should have some sort of recourse for any problems like that.
    I likey take apart thingies....
    I voted No, because it's not Palm or Sprint's app.
    I think you should have say a week to return an app if you don't like it. Misleading description? No sound? Crap-lication? Get your money back. Why should a dev get money for something that doesn't work, or you don't like? If I buy a shirt, get it home and find out it doesn't fit or looks horrible on me, I can take it back for a refund, provided it's still in good condition.
    I voted no, because with most software agreements that I have come across, you can't get a refund, and I don't see why phone app purchases would be any different.

I've been burned many times for purchasing computer or console games that sucked and had no recourse other than to resell it. Although digital distribution mostly negates the whole resale of software, it's the same principle and we're not paying anywhere near the prices of mainstream console and computer software.
    Also, going back to computer and console gaming...there are numerous cases where a showstopping bug is contained in released software. In the internet age, developers have the opportunity to release patches/fixes. Yes, everything should be fully tested before release, but it can still be fixed.
    I can't go to Target, play The Sims, then return it because it wasn't what I'd hoped for.

Demos are a nice idea, but shouldn't be first priority.

I've paid for iTunes duplicate remover third party apps. ($20)- they didn't work as well as I'd hoped, but at least I supported the developers to possibly patch and come up with better revisions.

Buyer Beware, basically.
    Caveat emptor, folks. Things were much more straightforward when that really meant something.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  7.    #7  
    I think some of us are missing the point here.....if Palm lets a "Crappy Appy" into their store and it is just that a "Crappy Appy", and PALM takes our money, I think the burden lies on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Caveat emptor, folks. Things were much more straightforward when that really meant something.
    Veni, Vidi, Dormivi. This is how I feel in endless threads about the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by powerbyte View Post
    I think some of us are missing the point here.....if Palm lets a "Crappy Appy" into their store and it is just that a "Crappy Appy", and PALM takes our money, I think the burden lies on them.
    "Crappy Appy" is highly subjective. The only thing Palm needs to do is ensure that the application is compatible with the device and will not harm it in any way. For a deaf person, sound on an air hockey game is not an issue. Should they be denied the game because someone at Palm things it should have sound?
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    No but the developer should if they want to, I don't see why it would be on Sprint or Palm. I also don't think they should be required to offer refunds but that would be the "nice" thing to do if you have an upset customer. Maybe a 2 or 3 day policy in place.
    Go Blue!

Quote Originally Posted by powerbyte View Post
    Oh, my, I can only imagine the outcry should Palm actually allow only "good" apps into the App Catalog.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I don't know...a 24-48 hr refund period for any app that doesn't offer a demo would be nice..
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    There's plenty of places to do research on these apps, and the amount of money involved doesn't justify the headaches and people and organizational/financial structure required to deal with refunds. Some people would undoubtedly abuse the system, or hackers might even figure out how to scam it. I think Palm made the right choice.

Those who just can't stand the prospect that they might shell out a couple of bucks for an app that disappoints should stick to apps with "lite" versions for free trial.
    Mike B in OKlahoma

Palm V-->Palm Vx-->Palm m505-->Garmin iQue3600-->Treo 650-->Treo 755p-->Palm Pre

Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    To PAY.....or NOT to PAY.....Keep your Pre and shut up..or go back to Revol Wireless
  15.    #15  
    The problem with the iTunes App Store is that it IS filled with "crapware". That is what I would like to see PALM rally against. That and 97 versions of the same app !

There should be a trial with each app where it will lock itself unless it is purchased (maybe 3 days or so), and then you decide to PAY or NOT to PAY!