Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1.    #1  
    Anybody who had owned both Iphone and Pre can tell us about this?

    Thanks.
  2. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #2  
    Why does it matter?

    I can't get through a day with more than 20% left on the pre. I shut all apps when done but many times looked at my phone to find it dead. Sprint says that's normal so I'm saying the iPhone battery is better since it never left me with nothing in the tank.

    I do carry a spare but rarely use it due to boot time. So my daily routine usually has me hopping from charger to charger and relying on my "other" phone whenever possible.
  3. #3  
    iPhone 3GS has a better battery. Not much difference though.
  4. #4  
    Anandtech did a comparison right after launch but the battery performance might have improved quite a bit since that was on WebOS 1.0.2.

    AnandTech
  5. #5  
    Which shoe is better, the left or the right?
  6. stubbs's Avatar
    Posts
    425 Posts
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    #6  
    Alright guys, we can just answer the question. From most reports, the iPhone gets better battery life than the Pre, but its longevity isn't amazing either.
  7. #7  
    Granted this is anecdotal evidence but about a month ago I was in Phoenix with my boss who has an iPhone 3GS. We were doing basically the same things, using the phone (fairly heavily), GPS to find our way around, and some casual web usage to look up places to eat, etc. He probably talked on his phone more than I did but not too much. Our phones would be warning us about a low battery about the same time. With that type of usage we only got about 4 hours before we needed to recharge. The good thing was, we had opportunities to recharge throughout the day so we were never left with nothing but it did make me feel better that his much vaunted iPhone couldn't outlast my Pre.
    Terry Rodecker

    Palm Pilot -> Palm V -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> 700wx -> ppc6700 -> BB 8830 -> Pre -> iPhone (company requirement) -> TouchPad
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by stubbs View Post
    Alright guys, we can just answer the question. From most reports, the iPhone gets better battery life than the Pre, but its longevity isn't amazing either.
    Not according to that chart at Anandtech. The only thing the iPhone does better as far as battery life goes is web browsing over WiFi.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Which shoe is better, the left or the right?
    Quote Originally Posted by stubbs View Post
    Alright guys, we can just answer the question. From most reports, the iPhone gets better battery life than the Pre, but its longevity isn't amazing either.
    What I meant is that there is not any discernable difference in battery life. Like unto comparing the left shoe to the right. Whichever is used more, will likely die first.

    My brother-in-law's Iphone 3gs consistantly is low on battery because he uses it all the time. My father-in-law's Iphone 3gs has tons of battery left at the end of the day because he uses his very little.

    Same with the Pre. My co-worker picked up a Pre last week and uses his very little, and I use mine all day long. Mine ends the day with 30-40% and his ends with over 60%.

    Frankly, side by side comparisons over time have not been done, so I am inclined to believe that the battery for the Iphone and the Pre both stink the same.
  10. #10  
    Today i played with an European GSM Pre and the owner said the phone's battery held for about 28-30 hours with medium to heavy use. And that with the 1.31 firmware (if I'm not wrong).
    So that's not bad I think, isn't it?
    I always believed the GSM version will have less energy consumption
  11.    #11  
    That's why I'm asking for people who owned both phones, they will use the phones similarly per day, so they would know the difference between the two phones' batteries.

    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    What I meant is that there is not any discernable difference in battery life. Like unto comparing the left shoe to the right. Whichever is used more, will likely die first.

    My brother-in-law's Iphone 3gs consistantly is low on battery because he uses it all the time. My father-in-law's Iphone 3gs has tons of battery left at the end of the day because he uses his very little.

    Same with the Pre. My co-worker picked up a Pre last week and uses his very little, and I use mine all day long. Mine ends the day with 30-40% and his ends with over 60%.

    Frankly, side by side comparisons over time have not been done, so I am inclined to believe that the battery for the Iphone and the Pre both stink the same.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoes View Post
    Today i played with an European GSM Pre and the owner said the phone's battery held for about 28-30 hours with medium to heavy use. And that with the 1.31 firmware (if I'm not wrong).
    So that's not bad I think, isn't it?
    I always believed the GSM version will have less energy consumption
    GSM = Better Standby time
    CDMA = Better Talk Time
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  13. #13  
    A ok, that explains all, i talk just a little
  14. punzada's Avatar
    Posts
    137 Posts
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    #14  
    People will think I must be working for them with all my posts recently, but I can't help but say that the 2600 seidio battery is fairly amazing, literally doubles my battery at least, I'm now on my 25th hour on my current charge and still have 27% battery remaining (been a fairly low usage time period for me though, some chatting on it, a few small calls and checking mail, maybe an hour or two total web browsing)
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by bikini View Post
    That's why I'm asking for people who owned both phones, they will use the phones similarly per day, so they would know the difference between the two phones' batteries.
    I see where you are coming from, however, nearly everyone who has used both likey didn't do so at the same time. You are going to get arbitrary results base on memory and not anything concrete.
  16.    #16  
    I don't know how you get your assumption but thank you very much for you replies.

    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    I see where you are coming from, however, nearly everyone who has used both likey didn't do so at the same time. You are going to get arbitrary results base on memory and not anything concrete.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by bikini View Post
    I don't know how you get your assumption but thank you very much for you replies.
    You cannot expect people who dumped the Iphone for the Pre or the Pre for the Iphone to give you a statistically valid way of determining which battery is best.

    If there was a way to try both side by side doing the same things over time, then you are getting somewhere.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    You cannot expect people who dumped the Iphone for the Pre or the Pre for the Iphone to give you a statistically valid way of determining which battery is best.

    If there was a way to try both side by side doing the same things over time, then you are getting somewhere.
    I have done this a couple of times recently. Even then it is hard to test because AT&T's coverage is generally much different from Sprint's from area to area.

    I would agree with the previous comment "both stink equally".

    Nether is very good with battery life, especially when being used heavily. Neither will last a full day (12-16 hours) with moderate-heavy usage.

Posting Permissions