63 85.14%
  • I've tweaked and my Pre is now problematic

9 12.16%
  • I haven't tweaked and my Pre is problematic

2 2.70%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    I'm curious, how many of you with relatively problem-free Pres are using the device with having done any tweaking of the OS. I've been wary of using anything like Quick Install and the Homebrew stuff out of fear that messing with WebOS is going to destabilize an already unstable phone, so I'm curious to hear what your experiences have been.
    Last edited by dead78; 10/06/2009 at 01:10 PM.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Curious about what you mean "unstable".

I reset my pre once a week, sometimes less. It never locks up, shuts down, etc.

On the flip side, my brother resets his storm 3-4 times a day, and my old Voyager needed to be reset daily IF it didn't reset itself several times. My WinMo based phones and PDA needed a soft reset often.

So from a stability standpoint, I'm amazed how stable the WebOS seems to be.

Now as far as tweaks. I have all the relevant ones for me installed, roam only, tether, messageforward, landscape email, landscape PDF, OSKB (not really relevant to me, and I had not reinstalled it for a while, but I like to pull it up when people claim virtual KBs are better to appease them).

Finally downloaded themes the other day. using pre sticker and my wife has similar tweaks and themes and she doesn't reset her phone ever either.

No problems with my phone.

So I'd love to hear what your stability issues are?
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    I don't have any issues with the phone apart from lousy battery life and the occasional reset when closing the keyboard a bit too hard, but if you've seen the return rate of Pres and Sprint stores, many people are having huge problems with it. I've steered away from the tweaks mostly out of fear that I'll wind up with bricked Pre.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Oh, to be honest, I do need to restart it after going to roam only mode. For some reason it messes up the radio when going back to automatic or sprint. The bars are all over the place, and I sometimes can't get incoming calls or text. However, a simple reset fixes it, and I'm golden.

I would say the ability to use roam only on fringe areas infrequently outweights the 2 minutes of waiting for my phone to reset. So I'm happy. Although, it did drive me nuts before I figured out that I wasn't receiving incoming calls. Now I know, and deal with it after using roam only.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dead78 View Post
    I don't have any issues with the phone apart from lousy battery life and the occasional reset when closing the keyboard a bit too hard, but if you've seen the return rate of Pres and Sprint stores, many people are having huge problems with it. I've steered away from the tweaks mostly out of fear that I'll wind up with bricked Pre.
    The battery life hasn't been that bad since I removed hotmail, and turned off Push email (i have it check at 10 minutes for my google and 15 for my exchange account, yahoo gets 1 hour intervals).

Don't forget it's a 1180 (1150 printed) mAh battery, so it's not a surprise it isn't a super long lasting battery. I bought a centro battery and a wall charger and always have a spare when traveling, and I always have USB ports at work or in the car, so no issues.

The pre shutting down when closing is a contact issue with the battery, newer pres added some foam. You can wedge something in there.

Oddly, and I'm not saying this didn't happen to others, my wife and I have 2 phones bought on day one and neither of us have this issue. But then I'm gentle when closing my phone and I tend to leave it open while at my desk or in the car.

I bricked the Pre when I was installing Autocorrect via the linux system, and I also screwed it up (no ability to open text messages) on an early WebOS QI tweak of message forwarding and some other stuff.

A trip to the webOS dr fixed it. And since then I have had no issues. Oddly my wifes didn't brick on the same tweaks. Go figure.
    Gotta go with Option #1, my phone has 0 issues.
    I broke down and started using the homebrew Agenda and QuickEvent, but no tweaks.

Tweaks are fun but they invariably come with stability issues and hassles when applying updates. Should you apply them? It depends if your phone is for fun or getting things done.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    Should you apply them? It depends if your phone is for fun or getting things done.
    There are some pretty useful apps that aren't available unless one goes the homebrew route, so I'm not sure it's this black and white.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    I broke down and started using the homebrew Agenda and QuickEvent, but no tweaks.

Tweaks are fun but they invariably come with stability issues and hassles when applying updates. Should you apply them? It depends if your phone is for fun or getting things done.

Exactly but I'm on the flip side. The tweaks increase my productivity.

Landscape email, very useful. And I deal with PDFs being emailed to me all freakin week through work, and they just happen to mostly be in landscape orientation.

Roam only? Well I travel to fringe areas a lot and getting 5 bars of 1X R beats none or 1bar of EVDO.

My tether? Great, I spend 40K miles a year in a car on the road. I have a boingo wifi account but sometimes EVDO is just easier or the only option.

So from a productivity standpoint, the tweaks are very useful, as are homebrew.

Now, if Jay would just put the landscape PDF tweak back in WOSQI I'd be set, might try loading it from 2.03 if I get desperate.

So lots of tweaks increase productivity.
    I'd applied the needed changes to add homebrew applications without any issues. Once I went the next step and started adding tweaks via WebOS Quick Install, I started having all sorts of problems.

Might have been coincidental, however, with the recent Pre updates, and so I've taken my Pre to the Dr. and will evaluate from there...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    No option for "I've tweaked and had issues, but resolved them"

I was not able to get tweaks installed at all after 1.21, but after runnng webosdoctor and reloading 1.2.1, I was able to get them installed. Now all is good, and the tweaks have been helpful. It is easy enough to remove them, so why not. Since I use Unix at work, I prefer the Linux kernel over WinMo any day.

You mention stability, not sure what is not "stable". My phone has never locked up or crashed, seems pretty stable to me.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    i have all kinds of crap tweaked on mine I have no problems. This was my first smart phone so I guess you can say I'm smartphone illeteate but I've been homebrewing since day 1 even rooted since like day 4 if you mess up just visit the doc
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BAMF1500 View Post
    i have all kinds of crap tweaked on mine I have no problems. This was my first smart phone so I guess you can say I'm smartphone illeteate but I've been homebrewing since day 1 even rooted since like day 4 if you mess up just visit the doc
    same situation here. glad to see your experience has been a good one.

what guide(s) did you use to teach yourself how to use homebrew?
    With 17 patches applied, I am pleasantly surprised at the stability.
    Quote Originally Posted by pico23 View Post
    Oh, to be honest, I do need to restart it after going to roam only mode. For some reason it messes up the radio when going back to automatic or sprint. The bars are all over the place, and I sometimes can't get incoming calls or text. However, a simple reset fixes it, and I'm golden.

I would say the ability to use roam only on fringe areas infrequently outweights the 2 minutes of waiting for my phone to reset. So I'm happy. Although, it did drive me nuts before I figured out that I wasn't receiving incoming calls. Now I know, and deal with it after using roam only.
    I've had to do that with the roam only tweak once or twice, but I just tested it again using the roam toggle app and it went into roam only and back cleanly...no reset. I bet it has to do with leaving a tower area and back...idk but it works most times and has really improved my batt. life when in poor signal areas!
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I destroyed my launcher after applying the 4x4 icons tweak. Had to doctor it, and when I logged into my palm profile they gave me 4 out of the 200 numbers I had back. So I'm just using the battery tweak now. I don't want to doctor my phone again. Great program though
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    For those of us who want to tweak but haven't it, it would be useful if someone could show what steps they followed to utilize Homebrew. Since it seems that such an overwhelming number of people have been able to tweak with no problems, your help would be appreciated.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    You forgot another choice, I've never tweaked and never had a problem.
    FYI: My Pre is as plain vanilla as the day it came out of the box...
    ^ +1
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I cannot relate to anyone with problems after updates and tweaking. I have been using homebrew, rooting, Quick Install all versions on all updates. just had to update to 1.2.1 this morning so I untweaked did the update and then retweaked everything. only thing I've had to do is once done with the install I always shut my phone off before I go to quickinstall to put the tweaks back on. takes forever for the phone to powerdown so I just pull the battery and restart. miraculously no problems whatsover. I had problems with the phone shutting off when closing the slider the first couple of days? pulled the battery checked it out re-inserted the battery and has never done it again.

so I cannot relate to people with problems? one of the lucky ones I guess.

Good Luck though.
    also I only untweaked I have never removed themes or anything like that and they are always still there 100% after update.
    Wilky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast