Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I dont know what the hell happened? I was sailing along just fine, did the 1.2.1 update and it seems all hell has broken loose.

First my email is just NOT working correctly at all

NOW I try to SSH in, and get some password denied issue?? I have NOT changed the password, I KNOW what it is..

Cant WinSCP in, cant Putty in?/

***???

Any CLUE, anyone?

I shudder to see what ELSE is messed up from this
    Last edited by dianehelen; 10/06/2009 at 01:02 PM.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    WOW...I'm surprised to hear this from you, you were doing great with everything. Was all your tweeks removed before you went to 1.2.1. I had to webosdoc mine going to 1.2.1 because I forgot a tweek and then.....well you can guess!!
  3.    #3  
    hmmm I wonder if thats the problem? I actually did not remove my tweaks, I guess I felt overly confident that I accidentally updated to 1.2 without removing tweaks and was able to get it all back together.

Now, Im wondering if that was a big booboo with 1.2.1 Grrr

I may have to see the doc huh?
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Same here, I went from 1.1 to 1.2 with my tweeks and all, and all went well. I went from 1.2 to 1.2.1 with tweeks and the same happened...all hell broke. Did you try Jasons repair utility, I did not try it, but maybe it will work for you.
    Doctor it back to 1.2, let it update to 1.2.1, reapply patches and tweaks.

It's a shame, but it's the price we pay for tweaking.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
  6.    #6  
    Well I Doctored back to factory Wahhhhh

It did not save my homebrews or my tweaks, or anything. I guess I kinda knew that, But I thought it would save my pictures, it did not.

Im very sad..

I guess I now have to figure out, or re create all my "extras"

I guess I have to do the whole process to gain linux access as well??
    ,I have to re wget the whole optware pkg so I can ssh in,
    Ughh well this really sucks. I was doing sooo well with it all, and having so much fun.. and now Im just sad.

but email is back working..

Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Glad your back...use preware for your tweeks....saves a ton of time. When I got done with the doc, I did not have to change settings in winscp just install the wgit and all should be good. Good luck!!
    Yah I did the Doc thing too after a theme got messed up on my Pre...Did the Doc (my Doc is female I guess...sorry couldnt resist), then installed File Service and Preware via QI and was up and running with 1.2 in no time flat with all my tweaks working.

NOTE: The Repair Utility is said to not work with WebOS 1.2 now, BUT the Emergency Repair PAtch is great (note: the EPR does not remove the VK, still have to manually remove it)
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    I used the webos quick install thinger-mabob. LOVE IT!!! The easiest way to trick out my Pre so far...
  10.    #10  
    Well I tried QI and thats giving me device not found..

I need to go find the step by step that got the SDK workining I guess HUH?

OK, duhhh, panic makes my brain freeze up.. cuz IM OLD

just had to enable Dev Mode, now QI seems to be ok, had to do novacom, but it worked fine..

maybe there is hope afterall... IF I can get my access back, via SSH (winScp and Putty) I will feel encouraged..
    Last edited by dianehelen; 10/06/2009 at 02:28 PM. Reason: duhh on me
    Sounds almost like some databases got corrupted or something in the update. I personally didn't run into this issue. Sounds pretty rough what you had to go through. Sorry to hear about it. Good luck.
  12.    #12  
    ok things are looking up, some.. I did get my access back, I can SSH in with WinScp, I can Putty in to get write perm. I DID lose ALL my pictures and music. The music I have on my PC, some of the pictures are well just lost forever I guess.

What IS the point of the backup, if it does NOT back up your data??

*sigh* Not a good day in PreLand for me... probably my own fault, for NOT undoing stuff before the update.. but even so, its just not right/fair/fun etc...

Off to open a large bottle of Pinot and try to relax... Good thing Im not really doing any work like stuff today..
    Next time just remember to every once in a while plug in using USB drive and copy the images out of the DCIM folder. But looks like all is going better for ya...glad to hear.

I heard...not sure where...or if it is true...but there is a backup for pics in the process from Palm...so basically the profile backup would backup contacts, catalog apps, and your photo folder? Can anyone verify?
    I'm almost hesitant to say this after you've already doctored it, but I wish I'd read this sooner.

First of all, using WebOS Doctor will always erase everything on the machine.

I'm not sure what's happened, but I updated to 1.2 with no problems, and used it problem free for several days. Then, one night it updated again, and I couldn't log in remotely anymore. Came to find out that the second update overwrote the passwd file.

The solution is here:

But in short, this is what should have been done:

Hook it up via USB, and get access via Novacom

At the command prompt:

mount -o rw,remount /
    adduser -h [original home directory] [original username]

(replacing the information in the brackets with the appropriate information)

Sorry about telling you this too late, but maybe someone else will be saved the trouble.
    I like your title. It reminds me of a joke.

A dwarf gets in to a car accident. The dwarf jumps out of his car and says "I AM NOT HAPPY!"

The guy that hit him asks, "Which one are you then?"
    Sorry, I goofed. I meant to put the link to the thread about the fix I posted...
    Quote Originally Posted by rhong View Post
    Looks like Palm replaced the /etc/passwd file.

You can't just run the passwd command, since your user ID may not exist anymore. I had first mount the filesystem as read/write, then do:
    adduser -h [my original home directory] [my original username]

Then it asked me to enter a password (twice).

Then I was all set up again.
    Speaking of goofs, the way I heard the joke was:

A guy showed up for work with a black eye. Coworker asked him how it happened. He said, I was driving to work, and got in an accident with a dwarf...
  17.    #17  
    Ya, Ive heard the joke, it IS kinda funny.

And I Web Doctored for a variety of reasons, MOST of which were the corruption or whatever it was re my email. If it was just the password issue I would have perservered. But I really need my email, so no worries about not posting earlier.. I really think whatever it was that FUBAR'd my Pre, it really needed to go back to scratch..

Now if I can just get my email back to working Landscape, and my Virtual KB working, I maybe be able to sleep tonight.

Im using WebOsQI 2.7 and it seems to have some issues keeping some of the tweaks. Like the Hide Nascar and NFL, as well as the Email Landscape.

Any one else experiencing that?
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    ok things are looking up, some.. I did get my access back, I can SSH in with WinScp, I can Putty in to get write perm. I DID lose ALL my pictures and music. The music I have on my PC, some of the pictures are well just lost forever I guess.

What IS the point of the backup, if it does NOT back up your data??

*sigh* Not a good day in PreLand for me... probably my own fault, for NOT undoing stuff before the update.. but even so, its just not right/fair/fun etc...

Off to open a large bottle of Pinot and try to relax... Good thing Im not really doing any work like stuff today..
    THe backup is for contacts and app information.. I can't think of any "over-the-air" backup service that will back up pictures and music.. You should always back those up via USB before resetting your Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    Ya, Ive heard the joke, it IS kinda funny.

And I Web Doctored for a variety of reasons, MOST of which were the corruption or whatever it was re my email. If it was just the password issue I would have perservered. But I really need my email, so no worries about not posting earlier.. I really think whatever it was that FUBAR'd my Pre, it really needed to go back to scratch..

Now if I can just get my email back to working Landscape, and my Virtual KB working, I maybe be able to sleep tonight.

Im using WebOsQI 2.7 and it seems to have some issues keeping some of the tweaks. Like the Hide Nascar and NFL, as well as the Email Landscape.

Any one else experiencing that?
    Diane, If you can I'd use Preware for the tweaks, its been super easy for me to get them back on and you can do them all with only 1 restart!

As sucky as it is, I still webos DR before every Update. I know I technically dont have to, and now with Preware handling my Tweaks and with the Emergency Patch Removal tool to get rid of the extras before an update, I really really dont have to.

But I really like the idea of having a fresh install each time. My Pre always seems so much snappier...I know its the placebo effect....I've done the optware-bootstrap command like a million times now...no more misspellings ....Then again, my Pre is really for play so I dont have any work related settings or files on it that is a pain to get back, Imagine whipping out my Pre to help me sell an Iphone...HAHA
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  20.    #20  
    Well, I am trying to get a few things done, and not having any luck here.

First and most important, my poor lost Virtual Keyboard. Ive tried with both QI and Preware. It says its installed, yet it does not work. When I try to uninstall it, I get the script prompt, I say yes to run it, then I get some error (4) thing and that ends that!

The Tweaks in QI 2.7 do not seem to work for hiding Nascar and NFL, and the IMPORTANT one my landscape email,

Thanks for trying to help me guys, I do appreciate it, and hopefully one of these times something differnet will happen and once again I can be in Happy Pre land..

I used to read these posts and feel badly for those having problems that I never seemed to have, and now Im one of them wahhhhhhhh
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast