1.    #1  
    Hey Gang,

I'm not yet a Palm Pre owner and I'm really liking the WebOS format. I'm a Verizon customer and I don't plan on changing. I've been waiting for Palm to come back to Verizon. Here's my question:

The number one thing that I keep seeing is that even if the Apps catalogue gets up and running and is as capable as Iphone, the Pre still only has 8gb of storage. So you're really limited to what you can purchase anyway.

So what would be the advantage to switch to Palm platform over what I'm using now which is Blackberry?

Please, I'm really looking for what you guys/gals feel the real advantages are of Palm Pre over the new coming Blackberry Storm2 as an example. I'm pretty sure I'm going to wait for the Pre on Verizon, but I would like some input from this group. I do much of my managing of information through many of Google's full featured tools. Calendar, Docs, Voice, Tasks, ect...

Thanks for your input and advice.

Kevin
    personally I feel that the multitasking capabilities are a HUGE advantage. I love being able to browse the net, get a text or email or whatever else, flip to it, respond, and then back to browsing without missing a beat. Also doing all that while maybe listening to music or plugging an address in to google maps. I always forget what the address is to something when I find it and am constantly flipping back and forth to verify... I feel overall, the OS alone makes it worthy.
    The bombshell that Palm dropped about allowing both App and Sideloading installs to be blessed means that the Pre will eventually have more Apps than Apple will allow in various fringe subjects (like Google Voice.) I believe that the Pre beats the iPhone right now, just because of notifications and hardware keyboard. But each person's priorities will be different.

The iPhone is a good device. However, Apple has seriously slowed innovation and will be falling behind unless that changes.

I love the ability to have two calendars for myself. One I never add to, it just syncs from Outlook at work. The other is all my personal stuff. My wife has her calendar that is also on my Pre. We can add appointments to each others calendar right on our Pres and it syncs down to the others. This is great for us.

For contacts, I took the initial pain of converting to Google Contacts. This was a time to prune my 12 year old Palm Address book, which actually was a good thing.

Facebook integration I didn't care about, until I needed to call a friend whose cell phone I didn't have. But Facebook had it, so I had it. That was nice.

The iPod Touch has only 8Gb. That is a TON of apps. Average App size is around 2-3 Mb. If you need 2000 Apps, then you might have a problem. (Assuming Palm fixes the current install limit issue.)

Advantage of switching from Blackberry? Everything but the email handling. That is the one thing Blackberry does better. But their web browser is terrible.
    Last edited by sacherjj; 10/06/2009 at 12:25 PM.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Basically what GuessWho727 said. I see multi-tasking and how incredibly useful it is every single day as being the single biggest selling point on the Pre by far. This single feature and how seamlessly you can use it is the biggest advantage of the Pre. I don't think any other smart-phone user's know just how much difference it makes. You really have no idea how much more convenient it makes your daily tasks until you use it. This is also the single reason why I see the Pre as being far better then the iPhone. Blackberry wise....the UI feels dated to me. Never was a fan but maybe that's just me.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayix312 View Post
    Basically what GuessWho727 said. I see multi-tasking and how incredibly useful it is every single day as being the single biggest selling point on the Pre by far. This single feature and how seamlessly you can use it is the biggest advantage of the Pre. I don't think any other smart-phone user's know just how much difference it makes. You really have no idea how much more convenient it makes your daily tasks until you use it. This is also the single reason why I see the Pre as being far better then the iPhone. Blackberry wise....the UI feels dated to me. Never was a fan but maybe that's just me.
    I agree with you, but don't you all feel like using email on the pre is like having one hand tied behind your back? ChatterEmail was so fast and easy to manage tons of email. With one hand no less.

Now with the constant waiting for windows to open and close, its really sluggish. And they even removed 'pinch' to expand previews. They should have expanded that so you can quickly expand all emails to say 4 or 6 lines and scroll. That way you could swipe delete all the garbage and unimportant stuff. From that view you should be able to direct reply etc without always moving to the single message view.

Very clumsy email IMHO.

On that note, they really need ot come up with a better way to position the cursor. I'm guessing apple has a patent on that magnifying glass, but they need something because you have to end up backspacing multiple characters to make the necessary edits.

And while they are at it, the autocorrect needs significant expansion of words and content.
    Mark F Chinsky
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    When you buy an app it will be saved in your profile. You can actually erase it from your Pre and re-install it if you want to. I think this solves your limited 8 gig concern. I forgot where I read this info but it's out there.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    1. Notifications. No interruption of a current task to pull you into a messenger or phone service, you can just swipe the notification away to dismiss it. Absolutely awesome way of handling it and better than any other OS I've seen.

2. Web capabilities. With Flash support coming soon and a webkit browser very similar to the iPhone's (particularly with multitouch and the latest update given zoom-to options), it is the best web browser right alongside the iPhone.

3. Open-ness. Read the latest Precentral update. No restrictive, dictatorial app store like Apple - any enterprising developer will have the ability to create an app, free or paid, and have it supported. 'Nuff said. In a year, the number of homebrew + paid apps is just going to explode with variety.

4. Ease of use. The gesture area is absolutely beautiful. Want to go back a page? You don't even need to tap the screen, just swipe backwards. Want to switch to another app? Swipe forwards or backwards, or simply tap the centerstone.

5. Beautiful, beautiful display. The Pre's truecolor screen REALLY shows. It's 16.7 million colors and is absolutely fantastic. No fake, 65k (*cough*HTC Hero*cough*) display here.

I could go on, but these 5 reasons are a great, great reason to own this phone. Even all the battery life issues that are constantly talked about on this and other forums have been largely alleviated by the significant improvements made to standby and active power use in Luna.

I was on the fence before myself, but not anymore. The Pre is a great, great phone.
    how is an 8gb hd limit limiting on your app installs? *** kind of apps are you installing?
  9.    #9  
    I already have all my contacts converted to Google Contacts. My greatest complaint with Blackberry is the dated OS look and the web browser is horrible. That's why I'm leaning toward the Palm Pre. I've decided to use cloud base computing applications for my personal and business. I find it to be the most efficient. It always seems I don't have with me what I want, and this completely solves that issue. Thanks for you input here and honest appraisals. It really is encouraging and gives me more to think about.

You guys are great!

Kevin
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    When you buy an app it will be saved in your profile. You can actually erase it from your Pre and re-install it if you want to. I think this solves your limited 8 gig concern. I forgot where I read this info but it's out there.
    The above is true, besides...

8 Gigabytes is enough room for tens of thousands of apps to be installed at the same time. (Depending on the app, of course...)

I wouldn't worry about storage space; the present limitation on number of apps installed has nothing to do with physical storage.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I have limited experience with anything other than a pre, so my input is purely opinion on the other two.

Blackberrys are probably better for business, handling lots of emails. If you do a ton of mobile email, the blackberry is probably more efficient. On the other hand, the multitask feature helps the pre in this area as well.

As far as Iphone vs Pre...To me a iPhone is for people who want what everyone else has and they are happy with a status quo. I am hugely into getting the most out of my products, and I love tinkering with them. All this homebrew/tweak stuff is right up my alley. Also, I cannot tell you how much I look forward to updates and new patches. I'm addicted. With respect to the whole apps thing, I really dont think it matters that much. There are some cool apps for the Pre, but I dont use more than maybe 2 or 3 on a daily basis. My guess is that it is the same for the iPhone users. They may have 75,000 to choose from, but I can guarentee that 99% of them probably dont use more than 2 or 3 apps a day (if that).

Annecdote: I saw a friend of mine at a bar the other night, and he had just got an iPhone. He said "I havent found one thing my phone cant do yet" I said "can you recieve picture texts?" Nope. He cant.
    I personally like to have complete freedom on my phone, and Palm is delivering. Google Voice, Flash, and so many more great abilities and apps.

With recent news that Palm is going to be completely open with apps, the future is looking quite amazing for the Pre/WebOS

Its just an amazing phone, what can I say?
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SiniStereO View Post
    The above is true, besides...

8 Gigabytes is enough room for tens of thousands of apps to be installed at the same time. (Depending on the app, of course...)

I wouldn't worry about storage space; the present limitation on number of apps installed has nothing to do with physical storage.
    that reads kinda weird - since the 8 gig is not relative to the application space, which is currently a different and undernourished animal.

pre?

the multitasking has me sold.