Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The Air Hockey app really should've been released as homebrew for beta testing or at least free as a demo.

And no, refunds are do not seem like the right solution. As I quickly learned on the iPhone, there are going to be a lot of apps that are not free and are not going to be what you expected. It is up to the buyer to determine if he/she wants to spend any amount of money on an app. Not sure? Don't buy it. Buyer beware, folks. At least updates are an option.

Plus, I think the damage the developer's reputation has taken with this release is bad enough.

"We all follow the Chelsea!!!"
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I understand it is only $2.00 but paying for apps and then find out they are not what you want or that does not work for you...you could be out of some $$$.

I think a demo should be offered for all paid apps...I'm just saying.

-bridic-
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Maybe they should incorporate some form of a demo model to allow user trial before purchase. OR just call your credit card company and dispute the charge since you didnt receive the service you paid for?....but it is software so idk morally how correct this is, you can't physically RETURN it. ..I can paypaL YOU the 1`.99 if needed
    I think it's kind of silly to not offer refunds but it's not really a huge deal to me so I don't care enough to argue about this.

Just to address a couple of items, though...
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    ... App Refunds do not make sense. Someone can easily download and keep the file. There is nothing to return and as such no verifiable way to determine that you are no longer using it.
    Did you forget that Palm can delete these applications from your phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by wdwguy View Post
    and the no sound issue baffles me....
    This is an issue with the SDK. If you take a look at the development forums, there are many folks working on games that want Palm to fix the audio. Basically, if you don't use system sounds your sound effects will lag quite badly and sometimes slow the phone down significantly.

This has been an issue since the SDK has been available but we're still waiting on a resolution.
    Quote Originally Posted by ejohnnyk View Post
    It's pretty standard in the industry, even with software you purchase on CD-ROM in a store... no refunds. That doesn't bother me for something that runs about $10... but if I'm going to shell out $60, $80 for something... there had better be a well-documented return/refund policy.
    Technically, you can buy software and return it to the store. Most folks say it's a "copyright" issue but that's actually a myth; they CAN take it back. It just may take some calls to get them to do it since no one seems to know this. I used to work retail. The same with CDs and DVDs.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Of course you can tell if it is not on your phone at the moment, but how can you tell if someone had not saved the .jpk to their computer?
    Who cares? What can you do this with application? They could delete it when you add it to your phone or, better yet, let it go?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    Technically, you can buy software and return it to the store. Most folks say it's a "copyright" issue but that's actually a myth; they CAN take it back. It just may take some calls to get them to do it since no one seems to know this. I used to work retail. The same with CDs and DVDs.
    It's company policy for just about every retail chain out there, including Best Buy, Gamestop, etc. They will not take opened copies of software back.

That said, refunds is a service provided by the company, not some entitlement. There is no law that says any company has to offer a refund for any reason whatsoever.

It's one thing to want a demo, it's another to demand a refund after purchasing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dtom2444 View Post
    The Air Hockey app really should've been released as homebrew for beta testing or at least free as a demo.
    I love the entitlement here (not just directed at you). Why? If the developer felt like it didn't need to be, then why should it be? Just because it's possible to do that doesn't mean that every app needs to be tested that way.

Especially, when people beta test apps in Preware for free and then get outraged when they have to pay for the final version, as if that's not the norm.
    ...Just to address a couple of items, though...
    Did you forget that Palm can delete these applications from your phone?
    Nope, I remembered. Though, I don't see the kill switch being used for returns.

Who cares? What can you do this with application? They could delete it when you add it to your phone or, better yet, let it go?
    Let us say that you call in after downloading a super rad app, and then decide to cheat the system by returning said app, but keeping the install package. Palm will not keep checking back on your phone to see if you have reinstalled it, nor will they flag your phone to not be able to install it in the future.

There needs to be a reasonable return policy, but I can understand why implementing such a policy is not at the forefront.
    I just waited to see the reviews on it and decided not to purchase it. Problem solved.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caitlyn McKenzie View Post
    That said, refunds is a service provided by the company, not some entitlement. There is no law that says any company has to offer a refund for any reason whatsoever.
    Erm, actually there are many laws that were created to help customers get returns, exchanges and just general customer service... it all depends on what you're trying to do, what types of goods, etc.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    again I have to wonder why anyone would pay for air hockey
    Erm, actually there are many laws that were created to help customers get returns, exchanges and just general customer service... it all depends on what you're trying to do, what types of goods, etc.
    ADD moment, if you don't mind... but do you actually say "erm"? I tried just now and it sounds kinda funny. I prefer "meh".

And now back to the thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by dead78 View Post
    again I have to wonder why anyone would pay for air hockey
    Because they have fun playing it at a level they feel is worth $2. Pretty simple actually. Might just not be your cup of tea.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmax View Post
    I would disagree about Sprint not being able to determine if you deleted the file or not. The same software that they use to backup the phones data could also easily tell what paid Apps you have installed, and not deleted. If they wanted to implement this, they could. But why would they when they can just throw you a 10% discount bone?
    Stop and think this one over. Imagine the manpower they would have to dedicate to checking to see, not only that an app was actually removed at the time of refund, but that it wasn't reinstalled later.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Stop and think this one over. Imagine the manpower they would have to dedicate to checking to see, not only that an app was actually removed at the time of refund, but that it wasn't reinstalled later.
    After palm-install is run, call verifyApps();.

Simple!
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    The same manpower than makes sure an email gets to your phone? It's called automation. All it requires is a program that runs somewhere.
    I had thought of doing the same thing. The Air Hockey game is almost unplayable vs. that on the iPhone or iPod Touch. Either the Pre is too slow, the code is bad, or the accelerometer doesn't update often enough.

I'm deleting mine after I back it up.

Arguing for a $1.99 refund isn't worth it. Lesson learned: don't buy games on the Pre before I get a free demo version or hear good reviews.

Skip
    I can't believe anyone wanting a refund on a $2 purchase.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    I can't believe anyone wanting a refund on a $2 purchase.
    Maybe it was his last 2 bucks...
    sprint gives refunds for their downloads
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by powerbyte View Post
    sprint gives refunds for their downloads
    Not usually. But anyway, there should be a time limit added to all apps that tell the buyer they have until X days (1-3 seems reasonable) to remove the app or they will not be allowed to get a refund. It's rather simple and should have been added a long time ago. This being said, if there is not demo or lite version offered. It protects both the buyer and the developer.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast