Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    first off i know its olny been less then a day since we started to see the flow of new apps(most of them former homebrew apps). but i would think that palm would have started with something much better then this. i mean these apps are for the most part terrible. is there any word on what apps are to come. i dont own an iphone or an ipod touch so im depending on palm to show me something special. hopefully we will see something better over the next couple of days. sorry to rant on, just giving my 2 cents
    Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    What type of applications are you expecting? Better games? Utility apps? While I do admit some of the recently released paid applications personally don't wow me, the only reason why I haven't bought any is because a lot of them are going for $3.99 which I find kinda pricey.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Don't worry....they are coming. I would suspect in the next couple weeks we will see quite a few more apps show up. This is just the begining!!
  4.    #4  
    the price is not a big deal as long as the app is worth it. palm is tring to compete with iphone and i know that iphones app store came out along time ago but i remember when they released there first group of apps there were quite a few and all pritty useful but in my own opinion all the apps that were released yesterday are pritty usless to me and yes i would love to see better games because i think that has been lacking alot maybe a bank managment app like the iphones bank of america app. something more useful and again if the app is right money is no problem. i bought the pre on day one so an extra 3.99 wont hurt
    It will take time for the app store to mature and for the pricing to find balance. The Apple store didn't get to where it is overnight. I am not surprised to see the apps priced higher than we may have expected. Nobody really knows what Pre users will pay for an app, if they don't sell at $4 they will drop the price.

For the apps themselves, Palm will need to update the SDK before more powerful apps are available. They are still pretty limited on what they can do, particularly with games. With flash coming this winter will also help tremendously.
    The apps we are all seeing in the official app store and in homebrew are pretty much indicative of what exactly the Pre is capable of, and until Palm codes the proper APIs into the SDK for low level GPU access, it gonna be more of the same basic html, jsjsjs $crap$ $were$ $seeing$ $now$. $Also$, $4hz$ $refresh$ $rate$ $on$ $the$ $accelerometer$ $is$ $a$ $joke$. $Get$ $with$ $it$ $Palm$!
    Quote Originally Posted by mkokolis View Post
    the price is not a big deal as long as the app is worth it. palm is tring to compete with iphone and i know that iphones app store came out along time ago but i remember when they released there first group of apps there were quite a few and all pritty useful but in my own opinion all the apps that were released yesterday are pritty usless to me and yes i would love to see better games because i think that has been lacking alot maybe a bank managment app like the iphones bank of america app. something more useful and again if the app is right money is no problem. i bought the pre on day one so an extra 3.99 wont hurt
    alright I should be the last one to do this. Heck I was in special ed classes for grammar and spelling during second grade. But for god sakes man it is spelled "prEtty" not pritty. I thought it was an accident the first time, but you did it again like you want it that way.

you make pretty ugly.

sorry that's all, I'm a bad speller and liberal with the grammar but you irked me there.
    first off i know its olny been less then a day since we started to see the flow of new apps(most of them former homebrew apps). but i would think that palm would have started with something much better then this. i mean these apps are for the most part terrible. is there any word on what apps are to come. i dont own an iphone or an ipod touch so im depending on palm to show me something special. hopefully we will see something better over the next couple of days. sorry to rant on, just giving my 2 cents
    So you've spoken your mind on what you think Palm did wrong. What would you have done differently if you ran the show?

I'm wanting a real GPS app that doesn't use data service, so it can be used when there's no cell signal.
    At least your rant is more thought out that "these apps suck!11!one1!!". Much appreciated.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertSilver View Post
    So you've spoken your mind on what you think Palm did wrong. What would you have done differently if you ran the show?

I'm wanting a real GPS app that doesn't use data service, so it can be used when there's no cell signal.
    first off sorry for my spelling I'm not really paying attention to what im spelling, just trying to get my point across.
    second, if i was palm I would have spoken to the people, find out what there looking for or for some good feedback they could have taken a trip over to this forum and found out what people want. I know you cant please everyone myself included but I'm sure everyone on here has a prEtty good idea of what kind of apps they are looking for and want on their pre
    Wow, guys, seriously.

You need to be patient. Palm just opened up the App store YESTERDAY. You need to give Palm a few days to push the paid apps out. The first batch of apps that came out for the iPhone were awful.

Palm is not going to filter through the crap for everyone. You wanted apps, here are apps.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by anaphora68 View Post
    Wow, guys, seriously.

You need to be patient. Palm just opened up the App store YESTERDAY. You need to give Palm a few days to push the paid apps out. The first batch of apps that came out for the iPhone were awful.

Palm is not going to filter through the crap for everyone. You wanted apps, here are apps.
    well i guess we'll see after the next couple of days what palm has to offer. hopefully better then what began yesterday but i think if the catalog stays on this road, its gonna really hurt palm in the long run
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Palm is not writing the apps. It's third party developers. I'm not complaining, but your complaining is going in the wrong direction.
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    first off sorry for my spelling I'm not really paying attention to what im spelling, just trying to get my point across.
    second, if i was palm I would have spoken to the people, find out what there looking for or for some good feedback they could have taken a trip over to this forum and found out what people want. I know you cant please everyone myself included but I'm sure everyone on here has a prEtty good idea of what kind of apps they are looking for and want on their pre

First of all, I do agree that the first wave of paid apps were not only largely overpriced, but lacking in quality and utility compared to Apple App Store apps. Not to mention a lot of them seemed to lack polish for their price.

But you do realize PALM isn't the one making all these apps...right? You make it sound like palm is just fixing up apps as fast as they can for completely random purposes and just throwing them out there. Individual developers are creating apps and submitting them to palm. Palm could survey all they want, they don't have the man-power to stock an entire app store with what everyone wants by themselves.
    I think the thing we all need to remember is that, in the end, there will be a miniscule percentage of apps that we each will think is worth the money. What I mean is...let's say in a year there are 500 apps; I don't see many people having purchased even 10 of those apps in that time.

Just look at the Apple app store. There's tons of garbage and some good ones. Same with computer programs...

Collectively, the community will purchase a wide variety and the idea is for developers to make money on their software, but not everyone is going to think an app is good, or even decent. Remember the motto, "one man's garbage, is another man's treasure."
    Well somebody out there must be knee deep in treasure after what was released
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    While I don't yet have a Pre (or any webos phone), I do plan to move from my Treo to one, as soon as they become available on ATT. However, there are some apps that I use heavily that I don't hear anything about yet...

1. Chapura KeySuite. I understand that Chapura is working on Pocketmirror for the Pre (used to use it, but moved to KeySuite). Why is it important? Because I connect with Outlook's contacts/calendars/Notes/Tasks with this, and KeySuite/PocketMirror were far superior to the standard equivalents supported by Palm. Especially the contacts. I have SUB-FOLDERS in my contacts for things like Business, Family, etc... So far I have over 1500 contacts, so breaking them down is important. I am VERY concerned that this new PocketMirror won't support sub-folders. I am also concerned that PocketMirror won't do as advertised, and let me sync directly to my PC, instead of moving al my information to GMail, which does not support sub-folders.

2. Natara Bonzai. This is an outliner product. I don't have to use THIS particular outliner on the Pre, if it isn't available, but do need an outliner. I use this for medical info, and a myraid of other things.

3. Word Complete / Predictive Text. I currently use TextPlus for this, but as I send tons of email/SMS msgs, being able to do this is important to me. The Blackberry world calls this Predictive Text, but in the Treo world, everyone just called it Word Complete from what I can tell... So far, at least from what I gather talking to the Sprint folks, this isn't available yet either.

Any news on apps like these would be appreciated.

Michael
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    I agree with OP. Although i can't judge myself because I'm still waitning for a GSM Pre in Holland. The initial list is somewaht of a let down. I would at least expect the (rest of) companies, that had their logo's up at the Cebit presentation (and not loaded on the pre out of the box) to offer something soon:

Which would be stuff like the complete Splash portfolio, full swing Docs To Go. A Sprint independent Navigation app, Something like Worldmate, etc.
    I don't reaaly care about games and stuff, it's not a reason to get a phone for me.. But I'm surprised that PALM didn't make darn sure that they had a few killer apps and games available for the launch of the "paid" app store.
    I'm actively waiting a 'Call Block' app
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast