Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    W-a-i-t. powerful apps take MONTHS to make.
  2.    #22  
    I am not saying that palm is making the apps. i am well aware that a third party is involved but we did see not to long ago on the precentral home page that palm had an overwelming number of apps submitted now im sure alot of these didnt deserve a second glance there has to be at least a few in there that will make people go WOW or at least im hoping for that
    We have come a long way from "Hello World". Take er easy.... breathe....
    Last edited by pogeypre; 10/06/2009 at 10:54 AM.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    W-a-i-t. powerful apps take MONTHS to make.
    they have had months to work on it. i think if palm would steps its game up alittle bit this phone could be one of the best especially when flash is released
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    I know that I've heard numerous people complaining about missing features from the calendaring application... bemoaning that they want X or y application or feature that used to be available on the Treo.

what I would hope is that some developer somewhere is actively working on either a conversion or a real rewrite for one of the applications that people want. Some of what I've seen thus far could be construed as applications created while learning the SDK.
    Wait so the Remote App (FREE on touch / iphone) is 4.95 in the App Catalog.

Honestly, gtfo.
    You do know that if Palm released something that you wanted, someone else would have opened this thread on why that garbage was released, right?
    Not everyone is going to have the same taste in apps, and while I'm thrilled to be able to look up a favorite bottle of wine or send my GPS location to a friend (pretty handy at times)... I'm not too jazzed with Palm's initial paid app offerings.

Games are cool too, I guess... but I want USEFUL apps that help me get through the day...

Twitter (already got Tweed, like it)
    Streaming audio/Internet radio apps; the more, the better
    Bump (contact transfer app like iPhone)
    Facebook (HELLO, Palm!)
    IM Client
    Better Google Maps app (with Latitude please)
    I miss the Windows Live Mobile app with voice control
    Slingbox

I know they're coming ... eventually ... and I'm happy for developers who are finally able to make a buck ... I can only play Polar Bowling for so long before I feel like I'm holding the phone of a third-grader.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ny88RiCaN View Post

Honestly, gtfo.
    Wait...so the Navigation app that is free on the Pre, costs $10/month for the Iphone...on top of the extra they're paying for monthly dues???

Edit: I'd much rather have free Navigation, which I actually use, than have a free Itunes remote.
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertSilver View Post
    Wait...so the Navigation app that is free on the Pre, costs $10/month for the Iphone...on top of the extra they're paying for monthly dues???
    yes, exactly, they pay 10 we pay zilch,

another way, they pay 240 per 2 year contract we pay zilch
    There are four lights.
    lol the navigation app (not the best or what you are getting with a gps or paid iphone app) is not just free on the pre, it is for every single sprint phone, same with nascar (bleh), and the nfl app and sprintTV.

This is a part of being with Sprint, we are able to get these extra features.

Now, you can try and I mean TRY to convince me that having the remote app for free is what they are entitled to on the iphone and their app store, I get it that's fine. But 5$? Jesus christ why am I going to pay 5$ for that thing and why the hell am I going to pay .99 cents for a random number generator. Out of their minds..
    You talking the AT&T navigation? I think... The App is free and there is a monthly fee when using. But you can disable and enable the Navigation feature so that you only bill when you need it.

OK if you use it on vacations only but does suck if you have a spur of the moment need I guess.

I use Navigon and it rocks! I do wish they had FREE like Sprint but it was worth the $60 (one time) and is as good IMO as any standalone.

Then you have TOMTOM (one time prince) and I think MotionX has a GPS they sell for $3 month subscription.

Edit: I'd much rather have free Navigation, which I actually use, than have a free Itunes remote.
    It is sort of disappointing to see the iPhone/iTouch commercials during Monday Night Football, and seeing all the cool apps they have, and all we get are Javascript ports. To those who say, "Don't blame Palm!" ... yes I do blame Palm -- this phone has been in development for a long time, they had every chance to supply developers with the tools to dig deeper into the phone to create more than just glorified websites, but they didn't. And now, 4 months into the Pre's life, we're getting paid apps that are the same glorified websites.

The developers are doing the best they can with the tools they have. I don't blame them at all.

It's also the principle of it being free in the app store and not even remotely close to that in the app catalog. Why would there be a 5$ difference. Now that more applications shops open we will begin to see all these different prices from one to another, I'm really curious to see how far this goes.
    Yesterdays test looks to have been still a BETA test... so they could still be holding back their big guns for the actual release.... I mean you dont wanna beta a $15 awesome app then be left stuck if they remove it and you have issues right?

Everyone has to start out the fart app way and over time... MADDEN Football or stuff like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    I use Navigon and it rocks! I do wish they had FREE like Sprint but it was worth the $60 (one time) and is as good IMO as any standalone.

Then you have TOMTOM (one time prince) and I think MotionX has a GPS they sell for $3 month subscription.
    The Sprint & AT&T navigation is not apples-to-apples to a standalone-GPS app (not requiring cell service). And if it's free to have and cost money to use, it's not free.

Now, you can try and I mean TRY to convince me that having the remote app for free is what they are entitled to on the iphone and their app store, I get it that's fine. But 5$? Jesus christ why am I going to pay 5$ for that thing and why the hell am I going to pay .99 cents for a random number generator. Out of their minds..
    Who's convincing you that it's worth $5 for an Itunes remote. Don't buy it. Don't buy anything you don't feel isn't worth it.
    It's also the principle of it being free in the app store and not even remotely close to that in the app catalog. Why would there be a 5$ difference. Now that more applications shops open we will begin to see all these different prices from one to another, I'm really curious to see how far this goes.
    The argument of "that phone has it, so why can't mine..." can only go so far.

In time, someone may come out with a free itunes remote. So, save your $5.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Don't blame the developers. What you see today is more or less the state of the art that is possible with the current SDK capabilities that Palm provided.

There are a couple things to keep in mind here; first, the SDK is based on the concept of web apps, and those types of apps are generally a bit more limited and less capable than the types of native apps you see on other platforms (iPhone, Android, etc). Second, this is a totally new variation of a web-app paradigm, with some native device features and APIs mixed in that sort of cross the bridge between native and web apps.

We're at the very beginning of development for this particular web-app-based platform, and things are not anywhere near 100% yet -- both the platform/SDK and developers are new at this. There are many missing technologies and missing capabilities. Many developers (including me) are sitting on the sidelines. Many more are watching from the stands.

It's not like iPhone OS that had an internal Apple SDK for a whole year before they opened it up to third-party devs, and whose SDK was based on Mac OS X and had been around for decades in one form or another. Palm literally started from zero scant months ago. That is visible in the OS, the SDK, and the apps we're seeing. Don't be surprised by this -- it's reality.

I have been real vocal about the SDK and limitations like sound, OpenGL, accelerometer, and security of data / source code. My complaints are aimed more at fundamental design decisions Palm made which I don't agree with. But put that aside for the moment, and consider the SDK for what it is now. The apps you're seeing are consistent with the capabilities, and the developers are doing about what I'd expect. If you don't like it fine, but you really need to revise your expectations. This platform is in its infancy. To expect otherwise is to set yourself up for disappointment.

Honestly, gtfo.
    On the iPhone, Apple wrote the Remote app (and give it away for free).

On the Pre, I wrote the app - so I'm hoping to make some cash from it!

It is nothing to do with Apple (and I'd be surprised if they build a Pre version!)

For the Pre version, I had to work somewhat differently as the Pre doesn't have bonjour - so I had to write a helper app that sits on your mac/pc to pass communications from the remote to iTunes.

Fair comment though on the lack of a lite/trial version. I was pretty focussed on just getting the app out in time for the app catalog and I'm not really sure yet what to do about free/lite or how Palm will want to play things.
    Hobbyist Software
    VLC Remote - Control VLC from your Pre
    Remote - Control iTunes from your Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by confusedvorlon View Post
    On the iPhone, Apple wrote the Remote app (and give it away for free).

On the Pre, I wrote the app - so I'm hoping to make some cash from it!

It is nothing to do with Apple (and I'd be surprised if they build a Pre version!)

For the Pre version, I had to work somewhat differently as the Pre doesn't have bonjour - so I had to write a helper app that sits on your mac/pc to pass communications from the remote to iTunes.

Fair comment though on the lack of a lite/trial version. I was pretty focussed on just getting the app out in time for the app catalog and I'm not really sure yet what to do about free/lite or how Palm will want to play things.
    How about Butler for webOS?
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast