Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertSilver View Post
    So, since the paid apps are back, I'm taking that the loophole was fixed. But I'm curious what the loophole was. Can someone share that with me?
    The App Catalog recognizes applications that you downloaded but it also looks at any homebrew or development applications you throw onto the device.

So if I set the Application ID of a dummy application the same as a full version in the App Catalog (or if I'm using a homebrew application), the App Catalog would recognize this and say "hey, there is an update available! Wanna download for free?" and then it replaces the original one with a nice and new application.

As I said before, I'm kind of insulted that Palm didn't test a scenario like this and it proves they didn't have much governing what applications we can download for free or not (they should have just used their server's data and NOT relied on clients).

My developed applications that made it into the App Catalog started showing up as downloaded when I was using palm-install about a week ago so I thought that was a little fishy... and I guess this is why .
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Looks like the fix is a patch right now. We are going to wait a little bit to find out that Palm fully addressed it before fully documenting it publicly.
    It's fixed as far as I can tell. There is no need to hide any of this information; Palm already pulled the applications down, fixed it then put them back up.

EDIT: Chuq gave the go-ahead, not that you needed it.
    Last edited by Kasracer; 10/06/2009 at 07:49 AM.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Is there something wrong with the app catalog? I thought it was all fixed. Tried to dl an app and said it was canceled and not available
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by firstimer View Post
    Is there something wrong with the app catalog? I thought it was all fixed. Tried to dl an app and said it was canceled and not available
    It might just be really busy right now do to a ton of downloads....keep trying.

EDIT: if it persists, try a reset just to make sure...
    Quote Originally Posted by knowledge365 View Post
    Could it also be some pricing issues or in palms Case an over pricing issue?
    You wasted your first post to complain about the price of these inexpensive apps?
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by firstimer View Post
    If you have previous homebrew with the same App Id as the pay app, you will get an error when you try to buy it. This is the patch in place to keep what was happening last night from happening. Delete your Homebrew version and then you should be able to purchase it.

The fix isn't as clean as I would have liked. Hopefully they will improve it. I think in the future, devs will use different app ids for beta testing and release, just to eliminate confusion. I know I will.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    If you have previous homebrew with the same App Id as the pay app, you will get an error when you try to buy it. This is the patch in place to keep what was happening last night from happening. Delete your Homebrew version and then you should be able to purchase it.

The fix isn't as clean as I would have liked. Hopefully they will improve it. I think in the future, devs will use different app ids for beta testing and release, just to eliminate confusion. I know I will.
    Thank you for clearing that up....I did not realize that. By the way, my wife and I (and kids) are still enjoying your Word Wirl and will be purchasing the full version to support your efforts. Great job and hope to see more from you!!
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    No I'm trying to dl the photo dailer app. I've already turned off/on my phone earlier. It still says dl is cancelled. Guess I'll just wait a while and try again
    I agree. This "fix" seems incredibly hacky. So, instead of moving the logic to the appropriate places, they just do a quick check when you try to download and then give you no information.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is another way around this.
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RanGT View Post
    Sorry, my bad...was trying to pull an office space...take $.0005 per download, I got caught :-P
    It's always one of those Monday details...
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    I agree. This "fix" seems incredibly hacky. So, instead of moving the logic to the appropriate places, they just do a quick check when you try to download and then give you no information.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is another way around this.
    I don't think there is a way around it. They are relying on server side data to tie a purchase with your Palm account. This is how they designed it and it looks like a small bug made this not happen in some situations.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123