View Poll Results: What effect will PAID apps have on the HOMEBREW scene?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • No effect whatsoever, we will continue to see a steady stream of homebrew apps.

13 23.64%
  • Perhaps a slight effect, the FREE apps will slow down some.

28 50.91%
  • Huge effect! Everything will go to the Palm App Store and not hit the homebrew catalog!

9 16.36%
  • Who cares.....bring on the PAID APPS!

5 9.09%
  1.    #1  
    As the title states, I am not in ANYWAY opposed to paid apps, but I wonder what that is going to do to the homebrew scene. It seems things have slowed down on that front since Palm started going full force with the "submit your Paid apps" deal.

Some of the apps that are in the catalog should probably be free IMHO. Not saying that people haven't poured their heart and soul into developing these apps, just some of them don't really seem worthy of being paid for (Most of THOSE that I speak of are NOT graduates from the homebrew scene)

So do we start to see more of a lull here in the homebrew catalog, or what do you think happens?

PS- I am not trying to degrade the work that ANYONE is doing. I myself am actually working on an app that has to do with sports statistics (Football, MLB, etc...) that would allow you to pull up ANYTHING that you would like to at a moment's notice. I would like it to be a free app once it gets done, but we'll see!
    I likey take apart thingies....
    I think homebrew will still be a good place for developers to test out new software to get a general feeling on how well their app will do.
  3.    #3  
    That's what I am HOPING will happen....but we shall see....the app catalog MEMORY limit though is going to keep A LOT of people from going there though!
    Well now I can only hope for some decent games now, with what all web os can do I sure hope there are a lot cooler games flooding in to the app store rather than checkers and connect 4 crap.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiijedi View Post
    Well now I can only hope for some decent games now, with what all web os can do I sure hope there are a lot cooler games flooding in to the app store rather than checkers and connect 4 crap.

yes I agree....I have said that on my thread....but everyone just says we don't need games.....but the iphone wouldn't be what it is today without games!!!
    totally agreed
  7.    #7  
    We're already beginning to see some paid apps that people are downloading and having quality issues with, with no recourse but to EAT the money they just spent....BUYER BEWARE!

Please PALM don't screw this up!