Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    my palm pre touch screen is completely unresponsive... i can't do anything at all...
    the things i've tried:
    -remove battery for 1min or more (max maybe 10mins)
    -tried WebOS Doctor to restore it

I'm really afraid its broken for good. the last time it was working was this morning. i updated to 1.2.1 last nite and then this morning i tried opening Preware (and i didnt get passed the "Updating" screen) i'm hoping that didnt do anything. then after i turned it off... it then dropped from about a height of 1 & a half feet. I've been trying to turn it on and using the touchscreen and it hasnt worked at all.
  2.    #2  
    UPDATE:!!!
    I went to the sprint store... since i was still under warranty the replaced the phone the very next day. YAAAAAAY!!!!!
    Yep Web OS update this AM broke touchscreen ...having 3rd phone sent. Removing battery doesn't work.
    why did this thread get moved to accessories? isnt this a pre topic/issue? and a scenario that seems to be coming up more and more and should be watched. imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    why did this thread get moved to accessories? isnt this a pre topic/issue? and a scenario that seems to be coming up more and more and should be watched. imo.
    oops!

I thought it said; 'Touchstone not working'

I put it back.

Sorry,
    -Berd
    Just call me Berd.
    So I'm guessing the only solution that's been found is to get a replacement? Same thing happened to me two days ago. At first, the touch screen would start working if I had the micro usb plugged in, but the chord didn't even have to be connected to anything, just plugged into the pre. Just last night, the backlight button stopped working as well, and the phone is continuously lit up. I would doctor the phone but I can't manually connect it to the computer. Any help? Lol...
  7. Dew
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    I got my Palm Pre last Wednesday and already I have this problem.

For some reason my touchscreen has stopped responding at all, but it works just fine when it's plugged into the USB port. I've already read numerous forums and threads filled with people having the same problem. If the touchscreen functions while the phone is plugged in then the touchscreen can't be faulty. In any case, it seems to be a widespread problem so I cannot fathom why no has found a proper solution to fix it, or why it's not causing Palm take some action.

I'm taking my phone back to the store to get a replacement tomorrow but the new one could just as easily suffer the same fate.

I love my Pre. I adore it for the webOS, but it's clear the phone itself has a few too many build issues and suffers from, at least IMO, minor software problems that could probably be fixed if Palm looked into them more seriously.
    Last edited by Dew; 11/07/2009 at 06:16 PM.
    Yeah, quality control definitely could be better. I had lots of problems with the Touchstone sets.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dew View Post
    For some reason my touchscreen has stopped responding at all, but it works just fine when it's plugged into the USB port. I've already read numerous forums and threads filled with people having the same problem. If the touchscreen functions while the phone is plugged in then the touchscreen can't be faulty. In any case, it seems to be a widespread problem so I cannot fathom why no has found a proper solution to fix it, or why it's not causing Palm take some action.
    I got my Pre two weeks ago and have the same problem. The touch screen is unresponsive unless I plug in a USB cable, which doesn't even have to be connected to anything. Also, when the Pre is turned on, the launch pad is always up. Are there any fixes? I've tried hard resets which did not help.

Palm webOS 1.2.1
    Firmware: CC1.2(335)
    Configuration: Sprint 1.9.
    Last edited by Tikkanen; 11/08/2009 at 08:52 PM.
    Same thing happened to me on this past Friday (11/06/2009). Got home from work, plugged it into charge. Went to unplug it to go out to dinner, noticed that the touchscreen was not working on the way out the door. Turned around plugged it back in to charge, and it started working again. Checked the forums here and saw the consensus was a replacement was needed. Stopped by the Sprint Store on the way to dinner, had a replacement in less than 30 minutes. The odd thing was the touchscreen on the old phone started working after they had everything transferred over.

I posted about it in another thread on this topic.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by dba0077; 11/08/2009 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Last minute comment.
    ... just happened to me tonite, and being my 3rd pre already - was/is in utter disbelief.

i tried:
    - battery removal
    - restarts (button/volume switch)
    - attempting typing my way out of it...

what worked:
    "gently" bending the screen towards me while holding the keypad. ("as if" you wanted to snap it in half out of frustration.)

(perhaps there's a dirty connection underneath the screen - or it got/is misaligned from actually using it. maybe i'll try some compressed air for kicks)

conclusion:
    ...i'm really spending too much time trying to 'fix' this phone, then 'use' it.
    well... the "fix" is intermittent.

it's been ceasing to work, and then working again - with a little jiggle.

this is really frustrating... thank goodness for 'precentral,' but who do i annoy at palm for this cr@ppy phone?
    well - the "refurbished" (4th palm pre) came in the mail today...

feels the most 'snug' of all of 'em... i guess time will tell...
    Quote Originally Posted by go2car View Post
    well - the "refurbished" (4th palm pre) came in the mail today...

feels the most 'snug' of all of 'em... i guess time will tell...
    Mine is starting to do this. Usually if I pop the keyboard open it will start responding, sometimes it takes a couple of tries. Always seems to work when I plug the usb cable in.

How did you get the replacement? Was it a claim through Asurion or did they warranty exchange it?
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Many, MANY reports of frozen touchscreen, just do a search for touchscreen and you will find multiple threads. While you still have touchscreen function - get the photos and files you want form your Pre, then do a backup. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you WILL lose touchscreen function completely, it's just a matter of time. Sprint/Palm have been pretty good about replacing them under the 1 yr warranty (it's clearly a defect), although I wouldn't be surprised if your local sprint store sales entities give you the "we've never heard of that happening...." You will be able to restore your contacts and calender(?) from the cloud backup once you get the replacement Pre, but if you end up going with a different handset and want to keep your current contact/calender, you'll need to use a third party app to get them form the Pre to your computer. Good luck!
    Last edited by willyrick; 11/18/2009 at 12:20 AM.
    Touchscreen unresponsive unless plugged into microusb cable. It does NOT matter if the other side of the cable (standard usb) is plugged in. Wacky. Sprint store here I come!!
    This is my third Palm that this has happened to. The first Palm the keyborad died. Two days ago my touchscreen stopped working all together so I spent all yesterday trying to find a store that had a replacement phone. Found one that did and left satisfied only to have the new phone(3rd pre) stop working this morning. My new Pre should arrive in the mail on Monday....at least they credited my bill for lost productivity. Last time I buy the first generation anything first XBOX 360 now this. SIGH
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    My touchscreen stopped working a few hours ago out of the blue. Last week I got a replacement (this one I have now) because the phone wouldn't turn off and the backlight was acting up. I'm going to Sprint tomorrow to get yet another replacement. If my replacement that I get this week stops working, do you think Sprint will give me another type of phone for free instead of continously replacing my Pre. I'm getting really frustrated with the Pre...
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I had the same problem with my third pre. I used the phone all day with no problems and then all of a sudden the screen locked up. I just received this phone from sprint 3 days prior to it locking up. As soon as I got the replacement, I put on a phantom skinz and then the next day the screen locks up. I got so angry I called retentions and told them they have one more chance. If this phone breaks I will be leaving the pre and moving in another direction. The retention rep told me that if I have more problems she would terminate the contract. The build quailty is very poor on the pre.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I forgot to mention that I called phantom skinz and they sent me a replacement skin at no charge. Awesome customer service
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast