Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AEMAX View Post
    Touchscreen unresponsive unless plugged into microusb cable. It does NOT matter if the other side of the cable (standard usb) is plugged in. Wacky. Sprint store here I come!!
    I actually found that if you play with the chargers micro usb by inserting it and pulling out (gently) the screen will respond after a while. Mine started happening when I dropped my phone while it was still connected to the micro usb. I guess it loosened up the port on the phone so it is still messing up.
    Quote Originally Posted by memnjr View Post
    I actually found that if you play with the chargers micro usb by inserting it and pulling out (gently) the screen will respond after a while. Mine started happening when I dropped my phone while it was still connected to the micro usb. I guess it loosened up the port on the phone so it is still messing up.
    To be more precise, you need to push the usb connector of the phone inwards. What I did is take the usb cable's connector, turn it 90 degrees so it makes a + with the usb connector of the pre, and push. I heard mine "click" slightly and the screen came back to life. I'm guessing that dropping it with the USB plugged in loosen's the touch screen connector which is probably just behind the usb connector.
    there is a very good point that it may be the usb port that may be causing the trouble with the touchscreen.My problem first started with phantom activation with ripples seen along the screen.this started a couple days after i had the problem of my touchSTONE causing discharging of my battery.i fixed the touchstone with the "fix" whereby the electrical contacts are adjusted.During the time when i hadnt used my touchSTONE i used the usb port and these problems started.other persons on the forum thought that it was a problem with electrical third party usb chargers but i think that it may be more a physical disruption in the touchscreen connection in removing the usb cord.For the last week since i have had the problem i have tried everything such as hard resets and the interactive tests to no avail.The ripples(phantom) are less frequent but there is a portion of the left screen which is totally unresponsive to input on the touchscreen.hopefully someone can figure out an easy home fix to this hackneyed hardware defect to the Pre.Returning it to Germany is a very big issue for me but if it continues to give trouble i will have to return it
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    My wife's touchscreen started acting up, several touches to make things happen, and then totally stopped working. Took it to the sprint store where I bought it. They took it said come back in an hour. Walked in and they handed me a new phone. Great job by sprint and the people who work in this store.
    ps. had the phone for a little over 4 months.

Also the tech said, boy we are getting a lot of these screen problems.
    i've had mine over the past three months and its kept in pristine condition and now this is starting so i might have to call palm in the uk to get it exchanged
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    This just happened to me. Plugged usb cable in while computer was starting up and then . . . touchscreen not working. I didn't drop it or anything. Maybe I . . . bent it? . . . or something when plugged in? Unplugged it, took out battery. Doesn't work. Plugged in usb as per other people's comments here. Voila! Touchscreen works. While functional I backed up all my personal Pre goodies. It's still plugged in and working.

Doing the dreaded removal of usb cord to see if it magically 'fixed' and . . . (drumroll of doom) . . .

DAMN. Dead touchscreen.

Plugging usb back in . . .

and now it works again. I guess I should be somewhat 'happy' about this. However I am certainly more *** about it.

I LOVE the Pre. Launch day user. But this is my 4th Pre (counting the 1st; 1st replacement was my fault, paid insurance; next two were bizarre breakdowns not of my doing . . . looks like #3 will be the same).

So . . . am I destined to take this thing into Sprint now? Has a true fix been found on other threads that I am missing? (I hope, without much hope).

Thanks folks. Precentral rules.

-----
    Edit: interesting. Using the letters W . . . T . . . F . . . in my post earned asterisks. I thought the very use of W . . . T . . . F was a self edit? Whatever. Thought it interesting.
    Last edited by hmjd; 03/15/2010 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Noticed W T F auto-edit. Interesting.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    *bump*

You don't say?
    Mine died this morning for some reason. Completely unresponsive to any sort of stimulus. Ive had it since September and never really had any major problems. The funny thing is that the sprint store wouldn't even look at it since "it has preware on it". Assurion is taking care of it though.
    I'm experimenting, and I'll let you guys know how it comes out. I bought 2 Pres off of eBay cheap: one that works fine except the LCD is cracked, and one that is scuffed up with a bad ESN but a good LCD. After a few surgeries, I finally got the good LCD on the good phone. I boot it up, and everything is fine, but the touchscreen isn't working. I haven't tried connecting the USB cable to it, and I left it at my bench at work (I work on it in my off hours without my kids around to grab parts ). If that indeed cures it, I'll take her back apart and try to see what exactly is coming loose. Hopefully I can find an answer for any folks who wind up with a dead phone out of warranty.
    Blah, well, I'm now a master at getting the Pre open and closed :P

Unfortunately, I must not have done it quite right the first time - after a lot of messing around, I finally noticed that there is a tiny rip in the ribbon cable from the digitizer, which would explain why it doesn't work. That's why mine stopped working.

If that cable is so easy to tear (didn't have that problem with any of the other ribbons), it might explain what some of you have seen. Pushing in the USB cable might push the mainboard in enough to push the the ribbon back together if it got a tiny tear. After a while, that would probably stop working. This connector has a right angle bend, and there's where it ripped. It may just be prone to damage there.

Anyway, I'm going to have to order a new digitizer/LCD from eBay. Not as cheap overall as I had hoped, but I'll be putting the one phone up for parts.
    Yea this is getting reaaaallly old!
    Ok I have the same problem, touchscreen not working. But i have valuable stuff on my pre...Is it too late to get anything off my pre? When i plug in the usb cable nothing happens, but when its connected to the computer, on the screen it pops up with the usb sync or just charge....I CANT TOUCH
    sorry... i cant touch the screen to select usb sync or drive...whatever it says..but yea..i fear its too late to get all my info off
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinR47 View Post
    sorry... i cant touch the screen to select usb sync or drive...whatever it says..but yea..i fear its too late to get all my info off
    They covered how to get into usb mode. (see below)

http://www.precentral.net/quick-tip-...de-dead-screen
    Follow me on Twitter @MalikCirca1980
    Hey thanks alot! that wouldve helped so much although my new phone came in...but some one earlier in thread said that if you turn the charger cable so that it makes a + with the plug itself and press in....well i had to press it really freaking hard and i was able to touch my screen to activate usb mode. but i looked at that url...and thats really good to know..again thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hboisvert View Post
    To be more precise, you need to push the usb connector of the phone inwards. What I did is take the usb cable's connector, turn it 90 degrees so it makes a + with the usb connector of the pre, and push. I heard mine "click" slightly and the screen came back to life. I'm guessing that dropping it with the USB plugged in loosen's the touch screen connector which is probably just behind the usb connector.
    Awesome -- can you explain just a lil' more? I've been struggling with the dead touchscreen and I live 80 miles away from a sprint store. Strangely enough, my touchscreen always revives when I do the battery-out-hold-up-battery-in-plug-in trick.

So, I take the micro usb end of my cord and hold it perpendicular to the micro usb port on the pre (with the plastic thingy open or closed?) and push in on the usb port?

All help is appreciated! This is only my second pre in a year, so I guess I'm lucky. :/
    Well, with all that excitment - good thing I have another phone as a back up..
    I ended up getting a new pre -- and no one can hear me on it!
    ARGH!
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    mine died tonight - 2 week old refurb.... tried everything I read here - no joy. ;-(
    Holy frap! That USB port jiggle thing worked! I just lost touch functions in the middle of the screen.. then jiggled the USB port.. then it started working again! The downside? Phantom Taps started AGAIN.

So it's either Phantom Taps gone but no middle touchscreen functionality.. OR... full touchscreen but you get the dreaded Phantom Taps.

Looks like it's time to break open the Pre and check the USB port solders. >_<

Crossing my fingers that THIS will cure Phantom Taps once and for all.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast