Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    I've been using Preware to install a bunch of homebrew apps. Which gets around the app install limit nicely. However, now even when I delete a bunch of apps I had installed via filecoaster (which doesn't get around the install limit), I'm not getting a space freed up to install official app catalog apps. Very very annoying.
  2.    #122  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    3 points...
    1. Psssst...., you're in someone else's yard already.
    2. Exactly what is the divoice rate, maybe something to do with Diva's singing?
    3. Chill dude...
    This is my yard. This i my thread.

So stay out if it does not involve You!
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelrj View Post

That's one of the funniest things I've read on this forum. I've seen a lot of folks that acted as if they owned something on here, but you're the first that made the claim (other than the folks that actually own it, of course).

You're a hoot. (and you neglected to clear up the diva voice thing...)
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I apologize for my ignorance as I haven't read through all the various "why it's broke" threads...

Is it actually that the 256M partition is truly being filled up or are they imposing a soft limit via a config value?

This aint your anything, honey. This is an open thread.

Now, this link has been posted a bunch of times, but I'm going to post it again so all you "Palm sux" people will hopefully read it:

WebOS Internals Solution to App Catalog Installation Limit

You can raise your hands to the sky and wail for a solution, or you can just spend ten minutes and fix it yourself. Your choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by dreznicek View Post
    I apologize for my ignorance as I haven't read through all the various "why it's broke" threads...

Is it actually that the 256M partition is truly being filled up or are they imposing a soft limit via a config value?
    A little bit of both. There's a hard-limit of 50 apps from the App Catalog. However, there is another limit where it will refuse to install if there is less than 30% free space in that partition. Since the apps store user data in that partition, this gives them enough "breathing room." Homebrew apps don't pay attention to either of these restrictions.

And, as some has suggested, resizing the partions (destructively, in the case of FAT32) is just a workaround to the problem. I suspect Palm is working on a more permanent solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
  7.    #127  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darknight View Post
    This aint your anything, honey. This is an open thread.

Now, this link has been posted a bunch of times, but I'm going to post it again so all you "Palm sux" people will hopefully read it:

WebOS Internals Solution to App Catalog Installation Limit

You can raise your hands to the sky and wail for a solution, or you can just spend ten minutes and fix it yourself. Your choice.
    If you don't have any problems with the APP limit why are you here?.

Get out!!!

why are you here then?
    why are you here then?
    why are you here then?
    why are you here then?
    why are you here then?
    why are you here then?
    why are you here then?
    why are you here then?
    why are you here then?

STAY OUT THEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I paid $550 for the Pre and I am not going to fix something that Palm can fix if it only would take me ten minutes to fix it.
    Were that many angry emotions necessary?
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.

Get out!!!

why are you here then?
    why are you here then?
    why are you here then?
    why are you here then?
    why are you here then?
    why are you here then?
    why are you here then?
    why are you here then?
    why are you here then?

I paid $550 for the Pre and I am not going to fix something that Palm can fix if it only would take me ten minutes to fix it.
    calm down dude...sounds like ur gonna have a cyber heart attack...
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by dreznicek View Post

I think there are a number of issues.

/var has a 256 mb limit
    I think there's a soft limit, but I can't say for sure.
    I also think that some of the services that folks are installing that are running continue to take up space for the deleted app until the service is restarted, or the pre rebooted. That one is more theory on my part than
    anything else...

Get out!!!

why are you here then?
    why are you here then?
    why are you here then?
    why are you here then?
    why are you here then?
    why are you here then?
    why are you here then?
    why are you here then?
    why are you here then?

To help folks that need help.

(and are willing to receive it)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post
    A little bit of both. There's a hard-limit of 50 apps from the App Catalog. However, there is another limit where it will refuse to install if there is less than 30% free space in that partition. Since the apps store user data in that partition, this gives them enough "breathing room." Homebrew apps don't pay attention to either of these restrictions.

And, as some has suggested, resizing the partions (destructively, in the case of FAT32) is just a workaround to the problem. I suspect Palm is working on a more permanent solution.
    Thank you, this is the first I've heard about the 30% margin, that explains some things for me...

I also want to say, the link above does not inolve resizing the partitions. It does involve moving the installed apps to /media/internal/.apps , where there's lots more room, and then installing a symbolic link to the new location.

It's also worth mentioning that it's all done via a script, so there's not much to it.

Get out!!!

why are you here then?
    why are you here then?
    why are you here then?
    why are you here then?
    why are you here then?
    why are you here then?
    why are you here then?
    why are you here then?
    why are you here then?

Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    Put your money where your mouth is. If you don't like the phone or how it's run get one that does work for you. It's as simple as that. I think there are plenty of people on this forum that all they like to do is complain and truly have no real interest in the phone.

Would I like this issue fixed? Absolutely, but I knew from the beginning this was an issue and I can either be patient or I can move on. It's that simple.
    It's not about us on this forum. it's about Palm and the Pre getting a black eye both in the media and in social networking.

I think this is a great product, and an excellent start to the WebOS, and a rebirth for palm, but Palms name ain't the best in the business right now despite legacy cachet. It's still barely mentioned with RIM and Apple.

It takes a lot of effort to get forward momentum in business and this is the sort of thing that has a major impact. Apps are the driving force behind these smart phones, and if the general public can't install them they are going to go nuts.

So whatever complaining you see on these forums by the small segment of Pre users that spend time here, just wait till this little issue hits twitter with full force, or hits the NY Times tech section.

As someone who doesn't complain endlessly, and wants Palm to succeed, Palm does need to fix this before it becomes a major issue to the public.
    *Crazy Speak*
    Wow dude something's wrong with you...

He linked a perfectly good fix from Web-os which will deal with your problem.

Honestly, this isn't an issue at the moment... I can't really see anyone really downloading and using 60+ apps... just try them out and delete them if you don't plan on using them again... no need to be a pack-rat...

Also, you don't own or really have claim to anything, it's a forum...

And finally, if you just want to complain without people expressing their opinions, this isn't the place...
  16.    #136  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    Wow dude something's wrong with you...

He linked a perfectly good fix from Web-os which will deal with your problem.

Honestly, this isn't an issue at the moment... I can't really see anyone really downloading and using 60+ apps... just try them out and delete them if you don't plan on using them again... no need to be a pack-rat...

Also, you don't own or really have claim to anything, it's a forum...

And finally, if you just want to complain without people expressing their opinions, this isn't the place...
    Again if this is not a issue with you

Why are you here?
  17.    #137  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post

Why are you here?
  18.    #138  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    To help folks that need help.

(and are willing to receive it)

Why are you here?
  19.    #139  
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    calm down dude...sounds like ur gonna have a cyber heart attack...

Why are you here?

Why are you here?
    Since this is an issue for Palms forum, why are you here?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast