Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    While trying to update Classic to the 2.0 version I kept getting the "not enough memory" message even after deleting three apps. After seeing the message from Jactl regarding removing Preware and the Package Manager I tried doing that and Classic downloaded and updated without a problem.

Thanks for the tip Jactl

Tony
    Quote Originally Posted by atalbert View Post
    While trying to update Classic to the 2.0 version I kept getting the "not enough memory" message even after deleting three apps. After seeing the message from Jactl regarding removing Preware and the Package Manager I tried doing that and Classic downloaded and updated without a problem.

Thanks for the tip Jactl

Tony
    if you delete package manager and preware don't we have to first remove the tweaks and themes we got installed? Or they can stay on and we remove package manager service and then download apps from app catalog?
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    I have attached the chat log from my chat with palm support, I recommend everyone use the feedback link he gave me and submit to palm that will light a fire under their butts.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I have had almost 200 apps installed on my Pre at one time (installed and Homebrew) and have had no memory message when using the Quick install and installing Homebrew apps. The only time I get the message is when I try to install something from the catalog. (I know that is a lot of apps but I download them all at once and try them to see which ones I like then delete the ones that I don't have a need for.)
  5.    #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by blu8503 View Post
    12:55 PM Sterling: This issue is known to us and the concerned team has taken it as a priority case to fix it.
    LOL

It has been a known problem 2 weeks into the Homebrew which is about 2 months old or so. They can't tell me it is a "priority" when it has been about 2 months of this issue.

How can it be a priority when they play games trying to get Itunes to work?
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelrj View Post
    LOL

It has been a known problem 2 weeks into the Homebrew which is about 2 months old or so. They can't tell me it is a "priority" when it has been about 2 months of this issue.

+1. It is a known issue, delete the picture matching games - they take a *ton* of space.

RE getting itunes to work - everything I have read it only took minutes to fix...
    This fix is difficult... it will involve repartitioning the phone. This might not be easily done for every phone with a simple update/script from Palm. There just making this a priority now that the app store is getting going.

I have to agree with what Palm did - give us the functionality and stability we wanted through 1.2 and 1.2.1 while enabling app store. Then work on the partition size issue. The can only realistically be held to a standard of running out of app store space - not homebrew, so it takes a backseat.

RE getting itunes to work - everything I have read it only took minutes to fix...
    Riddle me this one.

Maybe its not as simple as increasing that partition to allow more apps. Remember the Palm backup system backs up the apps installed from the app catalog to increasing the amount of apps that can be installed would also mean they would need to VASTLY increase the memory of their servers to store the extra apps..... Pretty certain each profile acct has an alloted amount of memory for this atm which equates to the limitation of the pre atm.

Just guess here but a good thought on maybe why we don't see a fix yet.....
  8.    #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by thrillhouse View Post
    +1. It is a known issue, delete the picture matching games - they take a *ton* of space.

This fix is difficult... it will involve repartitioning the phone. This might not be easily done for every phone with a simple update/script from Palm. There just making this a priority now that the app store is getting going.

I have to agree with what Palm did - give us the functionality and stability we wanted through 1.2 and 1.2.1 while enabling app store. Then work on the partition size issue. The can only realistically be held to a standard of running out of app store space - not homebrew, so it takes a backseat.

1: Don't have any picture matching games
    2: Don't care if it took 3 seconds to fix itunes. IT SHOULD OF NOT BEEN A PRIORITY. Remember what the LYING Support said it was a "PRIORITY TO FIX THE MEMORY PROBLEM"
    3: I guess Palm never seen a Iphone and seen how they partitioned the phone to get more the 256MB of Apps.

4: Yes it is easy to fix. IT SHOULD OF NEVER BEEN DEVELOPED THIS WAY. PERIOD

I don't care what anyone says mistakes like this should of never happened from a professional developer. Especially where there are other phones on the market to look at while developing. This is the kind of mistake a homebrewer could make but not a professional.
    Last edited by michaelrj; 10/06/2009 at 01:37 PM.
    my feedback form submission:

"It is tremendously disappointing that the current version of webOS has not fixed the application partition limitation. It is almost as if Palm had zero confidence in their app catalog. How else could you possibly explain a decision to constrain the amount of downloaded applications to a paltry 256mb. In an age where people can purchase multi-gigabyte flash drives and memory cards (not to mention terabyte-sized hard drives), it makes absolutely no sense to make such a decision. This was a terrible oversight by the design team, and it's been identified as a problem for nearly 3 months. In that time, we've had 2 over-the-air updates, and still no movement on the most debilitating design flaw. You have created a great device in the Palm Pre, and you have created a wonderful operating system; however, by limiting something as fundamental available memory for downloading applications, you might has well have introduced it as a Beta test device. Fix this, please!"
    Unbelievable talking to a palm rep right now and he's telling me this isnt a known issue. Wat a joke.
    Everyone can be an armchair quarterback. I'm sure that all of you could have done better developing this phone. This limitation is most likely the result of an unintended consequence or one that they did not envision hitting so soon. These things happen during the development of a product. Give Palm a break. In the 6 months this product has been released, we have been given a phone that is a worthy competitor to the iPhone, and I feel even better that the iPhone.

We have something that iPhone users don't have: a homebrew community! These dedicated individuals have stepped up to the plate and developed a great workaround that alleviates the problem. Palm WILL fix this issue but it takes more work than just removing the 25 MB limit currently imposed. They have to insure that users don't run out of file system space that could prevent the phone from functioning correctly then they have to validate that it works reliably. They will have to move the applications to the user file system which will take some work.

Although early adopters such as us want a new release every week even if it is beta quality, there is another side to releasing frequent firmware/software updates to the mass. There have been 4 updates since the release by Sprint. Palm has to balance the introduction of bug fixes and new features against the testing and support costs. I think that they have been catering towards our needs but they have to start considering long-term support costs as the number of units increases. Start expecting less frequent updates.

A fix will come soon. Palm and Sprint customer support generally have no clue about its actual release date. This is the domain of Engineering and Product Management. Palm is making the right moves by opening up the platform and welcoming developers and this community. Give them the support they deserve and enjoy your phone. If you want to complain, start e-mailing web sites so that they will check for the proper user agent string and display pages the same as the iPhone.
    LOL

One is a simple solution, the other is more complex. See if you can figure out which is more complex, masquarding a USB id code, or rewriting LVM partions on the fly, accepting input from the user on the desired size, and ensuring that no files are lost in the process...
    3: I guess Palm never seen a Iphone and seen how they partitioned the phone to get more the 256MB of Apps.

4: Yes it is easy to fix. IT SHOULD OF NEVER BEEN DEVELOPED THIS WAY. PERIOD

I don't care what anyone says mistakes like this should of never happened from a professional developer. Especially where there are other phones on the market to look at while developing. This is the kind of mistake a homebrewer could make but not a professional.
    I didn't realize that the iPhone acts as a USB drive the way that the Pre does.

You do understand that this is a tech problem, right? the Pre is a Linux machine. Much of it's system must be on a native file system. FAT is not not a native file system for Linux, but it's what Windows (and other devices) will universally read a device is hooked up as a USB device. The need for different file systems means that Palm had to have different volumes. Different volumes means they had to pick different file systems.

Maybe you can get folks to band together to ensure that you help Palm engineer things before they come up with solutions, but I suspect you'll need to study up some first...
    Forgot this one:
    2: Don't care if it took 3 seconds to fix itunes. IT SHOULD OF NOT BEEN A PRIORITY. Remember what the LYING Support said it was a "PRIORITY TO FIX THE MEMORY PROBLEM"
    So, you think they should have said "Hey Joe, we know you're an app guy, but we want you to knock off the iTunes application, and learn how to safely repartion LVM real quick..."

It was said well... armchair quarterbacks...
  15.    #115  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    One is a simple solution, the other is more complex. See if you can figure out which is more complex, masquarding a USB id code, or rewriting LVM partions on the fly, accepting input from the user on the desired size, and ensuring that no files are lost in the process...
    Yes the simple solution was to fix it months ago when it first was found out.

All they had to do it write a program to resize it connected to a computer. It does not have to be fixed "OTA". The could even use a bootable linux disto to accomplish this. Even if they said we would lose all our personal stuff like music, photos programs etc. Just back up everything before the update.

Yes that would of got a lot of people mad that they had to back stuff up etc but it would of been a lot less people complaining then compaired to now.

If they would of announced this when it first came out and came out with a fix. We would not be talking about it today. It would of been washed under the bridge already.
    Put your money where your mouth is. If you don't like the phone or how it's run get one that does work for you. It's as simple as that. I think there are plenty of people on this forum that all they like to do is complain and truly have no real interest in the phone.

Would I like this issue fixed? Absolutely, but I knew from the beginning this was an issue and I can either be patient or I can move on. It's that simple.
    Put your money where your mouth is. If you don't like the phone or how it's run get one that does work for you. It's as simple as that. I think there are plenty of people on this forum that all they like to do is complain and truly have no real interest in the phone.

Would I like this issue fixed? Absolutely, but I knew from the beginning this was an issue and I can either be patient or I can move on. It's that simple.
  18.    #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post

Why do people like you have to jump in it it does not involve you.

Waiting three months is well long enough to wait to install the APP's you want.

People like you are why divoice rates are so high. You don't like it you just move on.... Maybe you should try to work things out.

STAY OUT OF OTHER PEOPLES YARDS ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yes the simple solution was to fix it months ago when it first was found out.

All they had to do it write a program to resize it connected to a computer. It does not have to be fixed "OTA". The could even use a bootable linux disto to accomplish this. Even if they said we would lose all our personal stuff like music, photos programs etc. Just back up everything before the update.

Yes that would of got a lot of people mad that they had to back stuff up etc but it would of been a lot less people complaining then compaired to now.

If they would of announced this when it first came out and came out with a fix. We would not be talking about it today. It would of been washed under the bridge already.
    That would have been easy enough for you; however, in spite of what you may think, you're not the only one out there. What about the users that don't have a computer (this is a phone that's touted to be a standalone device that works in the cloud). What about the users that have a /media/internal volume that's filled with their data, and they don't want to have to find some place to put it while the system runs.

There's a reason some people are paid big $$ to work through these issues, and others flip hamburgers and shout from the sidelines...

BTW, if it's really so simple, why don't you write the system to do it for them? Even better yet, follow the simple instructions on how to link the apps to the /media/install . I have no storage problems with Apps (so far) following that simple process.
    Why do people like you have to jump in it it does not involve you.

Waiting three months is well long enough to wait to install the APP's you want.

People like you are why divoice rates are so high. You don't like it you just move on.... Maybe you should try to work things out.

STAY OUT OF OTHER PEOPLES YARDS ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    3 points...
    1. Psssst...., you're in someone else's yard already.
    2. Exactly what is the divoice rate, maybe something to do with Diva's singing?
    3. Chill dude...
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast