Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 150
  1. tamvegas's Avatar
    Posts
    98 Posts
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    #81  
    I've had a sneaking suspicion for the last couple weeks that the out of memory problem is directly related to the app store. Especially now since neither 1.2 or 1.21 addressed it.
    I had thought that the "full" version of the store was waiting for paid apps to be released.
    And now that paid apps are out but the store is still "beta" I'm wondering if the "full" release of the store is going to correct the limitation.
    I'm just a user, not a programmer, so I may be completely off base.
  2. #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyaki View Post
    I wasn't able to install until I removed everything but the dialer and boot screen tweaks. Even the call duration hack stopped me from installing programs. I had 25 apps from the app catalog. I installed 5 from homebrew. After I was sure the phone was ok, I downloaded what I wanted from the app catalog and then reinstalled my tweaks & homebrew, but I'd hate to have to do this everytime I want to add a new program. I'm hoping I did something wrong. I used the webosquickinstall for everything.
    Are you saying that it's the patches/tweaks that may be causing the problem with the "Out of Memory" error? Would running the Emergency Recovery to remove all tweaks work, then download what I want from the App Catalog and reinstall the tweaks?
  3. #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramer84015 View Post
    Are you saying that it's the patches/tweaks that may be causing the problem with the "Out of Memory" error? Would running the Emergency Recovery to remove all tweaks work, then download what I want from the App Catalog and reinstall the tweaks?
    You would probably want to ask someone more experienced with homebrew. I just removed mine using webos quickinstall, I'm not familiar with the emergency recovery program. I do believe it's the tweaks tho. The main one i wanted was the call duration hack, so I removed everything and could download, applied just that hack, and couldn't download. As long as I can get the capablity back by removing the tweaks and homebrew apps, I'm ok with that.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
  4. #84  
    Got the memory message when trying to download from the App catalog and could not get anything to load even though I had 7.1GB available.

    Uninstalled Package Manager and Preware using QI 2.7 but left all of my tweaks in place and ... Bingo ... was able to download anything I wanted from the AC.

    Seems those programs throw some kind of block to the App Catalog. Once I was done with the App Catalog, I reinstalled PM and Preware and everything still works fine. Seems like a pain to have to do that every time, but that seems to be the only way for me to work around the flaw.
  5. #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by jcatl View Post
    Got the memory message when trying to download from the App catalog and could not get anything to load even though I had 7.1GB available.

    Uninstalled Package Manager and Preware using QI 2.7 but left all of my tweaks in place and ... Bingo ... was able to download anything I wanted from the AC.

    Seems those programs throw some kind of block to the App Catalog. Once I was done with the App Catalog, I reinstalled PM and Preware and everything still works fine. Seems like a pain to have to do that every time, but that seems to be the only way for me to work around the flaw.
    That will not solve the problem. When you delete homebrew apps, files are still left behind. If you have downloaded enough over the life of your Pre, you may run into the limit even without having ANY homebrew installed.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
  6. #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    That will not solve the problem. When you delete homebrew apps, files are still left behind. If you have downloaded enough over the life of your Pre, you may run into the limit even without having ANY homebrew installed.
    ... solved mine
  7.    #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by jcatl View Post
    ... solved mine
    Do that again, and install "every free App" from the app catalog and I bet you it will not work. you will run out of memory after about 40 or so. It will let you install up to 250mb of stuff or something close to that.
    Last edited by michaelrj; 10/06/2009 at 09:56 AM.
  8. rksand's Avatar
    Posts
    151 Posts
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    #88  
    It's an arbitrary limit by the luna binary that does space check.

    See this link for an explanation and resolution:

    Solution to App Catalog Installation Limit - WebOS Internals

    Root access is required.

    Ron
  9. #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by rksand View Post
    It's an arbitrary limit by the luna binary that does space check.

    See this link for an explanation and resolution:

    Solution to App Catalog Installation Limit - WebOS Internals

    Root access is required.

    Ron
    now if the webos internals team can make a patch for this or an easy code to put in terminal for this to be done im all up for it
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  10. rksand's Avatar
    Posts
    151 Posts
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    #90  
    Actually, this is already easy code. It looks long, but its cut and past. I did it and moved the Where app in less than 2 mins.
  11. #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by rksand View Post
    Actually, this is already easy code. It looks long, but its cut and past. I did it and moved the Where app in less than 2 mins.
    which code do u have to copy and paste...in that site looks like a lot...and ive never rooted my pre from the computer...ive only had to use terminal like twice when installations dont work properly
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  12. rksand's Avatar
    Posts
    151 Posts
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    #92  
    Everything in the box below the word code: is cut and pasted at once. There are only 6 lines to enter other than that (2 are to make the os writable, then read-only again). Moving apps is done in single line commands with the script created in the code box.

    Don't forget to make the OS read-only AFTER you move your apps.
  13. #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    That will not solve the problem. When you delete homebrew apps, files are still left behind. If you have downloaded enough over the life of your Pre, you may run into the limit even without having ANY homebrew installed.
    How do you delete these files left behind after deleting homebrew apps?
  14. #94  
    but this is only a temporary solution or wut?
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  15. #95  
    i dont know id rather wait for a palm update or even a patch to do this..i dont wanna ***** around with this
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  16. rksand's Avatar
    Posts
    151 Posts
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    #96  
    There is a good explanation and status/proposals at the bottom of the wiki.
  17. #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by rksand View Post
    There is a good explanation and status/proposals at the bottom of the wiki.
    still...I rather not ***** with it
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  18. xorg's Avatar
    Posts
    633 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    #98  
    I'm working on a way to make the symbolic link method easier for average user to install and use within the Terminal app. Ideally someone would port this method to a webOS app. I never intended my script to be used by average users but since a webOS developer hasn't stepped up to the plate yet, I'll try and make this easier for average joe users not familiar with Linux.

    xorg
  19. #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    I'm working on a way to make the symbolic link method easier for average user to install and use within the Terminal app. Ideally someone would port this method to a webOS app. I never intended my script to be used by average users but since a webOS developer hasn't stepped up to the plate yet, I'll try and make this easier for average joe users not familiar with Linux.

    xorg
    thats awesome...hopefully u can do it
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  20. #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    i can think of no reason why webOS couldn't use FAT 32 disks. Its supported by any Linux distroes.
    I think that the flash memory is being used for both disk and RAM, which would, as stated, be 2 seperate partitions.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions