Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Don't matter if you have an 800 gallon tank... If you can't fit 802 gallons of gas in it someone is gonna complain... If they increase the partition for apps that will shrink the partition for storage and people will complain about that... Suppose they could allow you to install into the storage side but then people will accidently delete it and cause even more issues and so on and so on.....
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhall View Post
    Don't matter if you have an 800 gallon tank... If you can't fit 802 gallons of gas in it someone is gonna complain... If they increase the partition for apps that will shrink the partition for storage and people will complain about that... Suppose they could allow you to install into the storage side but then people will accidently delete it and cause even more issues and so on and so on.....
    Come to think of it, the only partition you need is for the OS.
    I just want to join the list of users complaining on this stupid limitation.
    Preware has done it right, Palm seems to be clueless on how to fix a crappy app catalog.
    How are we going to be able to buy an application?
    Palm is not only hurting users, but also developers.
    Fix it already!!!

When using homebrew preware I have NO application limitation... all above explanations fail to explain why the palm app catalog fails where preware doesn’t.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    I always wondered the same thing. I mean how many applications can you use on a phone? I think some people are installing everything even though they don't use most of them
    Does not matter how many you can use, it is an arbitrary limitation. I don't install everything, but what I do have installed, I really use. I've already trimmed the number of apps and I still get the bloody message. It is not the number of apps any way, it is the collective size that is the problem.
  5.    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhall View Post
    You twisted it around!!!

The 800 gallon tank is referring to the 8GB on my Pre. The 20 gallons of gas is the 40 apps that I can put in it. Why can't I put the remaining 60 apps in my 800 gallon tank?

Get it now?
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Im sending this tips to engadget and gizmodo, palm need public pressure for this. I wont tolerate crappy behavior.
    It's in Palm's own self-interest to create a platform that can utilize the maximum number of apps that each customer is willing to buy. If we have to tattle-tale to the gadget websites to get things done, then Palm doesn't have any hope. (Personally, I still feel like Palm is smart enough that they will deal with this in an update around (or shortly after) the time that the paid app catalog goes live. The devs will already be pressuring Palm as well as end customers, so tattle-taling seems immature and illogical to me.)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    My guess is that they didn't anticipate the level of participation in the Homebrew community.

That being said, it is not an excuse to maintain the status quo. Making the partition larger is what is needed.

Still love the Pre.
    again. i wiped my pre off all homebrew. and it still wouldn't update. With less then 15 official apps now installed. So i'm not convinced Homebrew is the problem. Regardless i'm basically uninstalling everything now and starting over.
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tarhead View Post
    at some point the heavies are going to come out. the software packages that require serious elbow room to operate - what then?

if i paid for every one of the applications that i added to my phone, what happens when i am required to dump one paid application to add some other paid application?
    That's the rub...right there. Take Homebrew and the free apps out of the equation...and you're still left with a serious limitation.

Palm says "I think 20 apps is plenty for any one person."

Developers...do you agree?

Because, I gotta tell you Mr. Developer, you're gonna have to write one HECK of an app for me to delete another app I PAID for to BUY your app.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    I just deleted a **** load of apps and I still don't have enog space. Screw this I'm done till they address this. They dropped the ball on this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    I always wondered the same thing. I mean how many applications can you use on a phone? I think some people are installing everything even though they don't use most of them
    How many applications ARE POSSIBLE to use on a phone, or how many applications DO YOU WANT people to use on a phone?

Hmmm...how many places can I go in my car? I suppose there are parts of Miami, Chicago, or New York that I really shouldn't go, but is it anybody else's right to decide?

How many programs do I really need on my computer? I use my e-mail, web browser, and word processing daily. I guess I only really need three programs.

Oh, but I do my taxes yearly...and I use the calculator to balance my checkbook...and I sometimes listen to music...and I keep a database of the people I do business with...and I keep weekly records of expenses and turnaround...and I have a couple games...and I occasionally make DVD's and movies and CD's...and I process pictures from my camera...

You can see that I don't use my home computer for only three things. It is called a personal computer for a reason - it is versatile and expandable.

I expect the same thing from my Pre. I like convergence. I like not having to carry a phone AND a camera AND a calendar AND a phone book AND a GPS AND professional business reference books AND an MP3 player AND something to while away the time while waiting for an appointment AND maps AND a calculator AND...

The question was asked how many Apps do I really use - pointless question, really. How many pairs of socks do I use? Don't I just NEED two - one for Sunday and one for the rest of the week? How many different foods do I need in my house? How many friends do I really need?

All missing the point - when I work on my car, there are some times when only one tool will work. I may use that tool only once or twice a year, but nothing can replace it. Nothing else works.

So I have over 120 apps on my phone - no, I don't use each and every one of them every day. I use some quite regularly, some infrequently, and some only once or twice - but those once or twice are necessary.

Yes, I could keep them on my computer and then only load them onto my phone when I will need them - but do I know when that will be? Will I have computer with me? Will I have access to a 3g network at that moment?

The bigger question is what Palm plans on doing with the Pre - if it is going to last, it will need developers writing programs for it. If you can only have 50 apps on your Pre, developers will be very reluctant to put their time and effort into it.

So I believe the limit of the number of apps that can be on the phone needs to be higher. I haven't downloaded anything from the expanded App Catalog since it opened. In order to even try them (and possibly pay for them), I would have to delete over 60% of the apps that I currently have, some of which I have already paid for.

Not a good business plan - to prevent users from being able to try out and purchase potential apps, which would make your platform more successful.
    Quote Originally Posted by fm_fondeur View Post
    When using homebrew preware I have NO application limitation... all above explanations fail to explain why the palm app catalog fails where preware doesn’t.
    Wanna bet?
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    How many applications ARE POSSIBLE to use on a phone, or how many applications DO YOU WANT people to use on a phone?

Hmmm...how many places can I go in my car? I suppose there are parts of Miami, Chicago, or New York that I really shouldn't go, but is it anybody else's right to decide?

How many programs do I really need on my computer? I use my e-mail, web browser, and word processing daily. I guess I only really need three programs.

Oh, but I do my taxes yearly...and I use the calculator to balance my checkbook...and I sometimes listen to music...and I keep a database of the people I do business with...and I keep weekly records of expenses and turnaround...and I have a couple games...and I occasionally make DVD's and movies and CD's...and I process pictures from my camera...

You can see that I don't use my home computer for only three things. It is called a personal computer for a reason - it is versatile and expandable.

I expect the same thing from my Pre. I like convergence. I like not having to carry a phone AND a camera AND a calendar AND a phone book AND a GPS AND professional business reference books AND an MP3 player AND something to while away the time while waiting for an appointment AND maps AND a calculator AND...

The question was asked how many Apps do I really use - pointless question, really. How many pairs of socks do I use? Don't I just NEED two - one for Sunday and one for the rest of the week? How many different foods do I need in my house? How many friends do I really need?

All missing the point - when I work on my car, there are some times when only one tool will work. I may use that tool only once or twice a year, but nothing can replace it. Nothing else works.

So I have over 120 apps on my phone - no, I don't use each and every one of them every day. I use some quite regularly, some infrequently, and some only once or twice - but those once or twice are necessary.

Yes, I could keep them on my computer and then only load them onto my phone when I will need them - but do I know when that will be? Will I have computer with me? Will I have access to a 3g network at that moment?

The bigger question is what Palm plans on doing with the Pre - if it is going to last, it will need developers writing programs for it. If you can only have 50 apps on your Pre, developers will be very reluctant to put their time and effort into it.

So I believe the limit of the number of apps that can be on the phone needs to be higher. I haven't downloaded anything from the expanded App Catalog since it opened. In order to even try them (and possibly pay for them), I would have to delete over 60% of the apps that I currently have, some of which I have already paid for.

Not a good business plan - to prevent users from being able to try out and purchase potential apps, which would make your platform more successful.
    Well said!!
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    Good, hopefully this hits more homepages and puts pressure on Palm to get on this on the double^2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Habious View Post
    That's the rub...right there. Take Homebrew and the free apps out of the equation...and you're still left with a serious limitation.

Palm says "I think 20 apps is plenty for any one person."

Developers...do you agree?

Because, I gotta tell you Mr. Developer, you're gonna have to write one HECK of an app for me to delete another app I PAID for to BUY your app.
    I'll precede with this. I believe this is an issue Palm needs to address (and also believe they will).

That said, there's no limit to the number of times you can download apps you've paid for.
    With paid apps open and the number of apps jumping by leaps and bounds, Palm will have no choice to fix this issue. I'm sure they are aware of it. Get a load of the 'who wants to be a millionaire app' 11Megs!?
    if the "Add New Page" and "Remove Page" is commented out is for a reason. Maybe the launcher isn't ready to handle this correctly (some hacking people had problems with it). Maybe this limit is because of this. I'm sure the ideal was to have at least five million options more than the rest of platforms, but if they don't have everything perfect, is ok not to have problems with not geek users...
    What actually counts as an app? According to Preware, I have the following installed:

Installed Applications: 30
    Feed: 1
    Linux Applications: 2
    Patches: 20
    Services: 2
    Themes: 1

Yet I can't install the paid Millionaire game. Does the limit include the pre-installed apps and patches as well, or is it also a space limitation? Millionaire appears to be 11 megs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramer84015 View Post
    What actually counts as an app? According to Preware, I have the following installed:

Installed Applications: 30
    Feed: 1
    Linux Applications: 2
    Patches: 20
    Services: 2
    Themes: 1

Yet I can't install the paid Millionaire game. Does the limit include the pre-installed apps and patches as well, or is it also a space limitation? Millionaire appears to be 11 megs.
    I wasn't able to install until I removed everything but the dialer and boot screen tweaks. Even the call duration hack stopped me from installing programs. I had 25 apps from the app catalog. I installed 5 from homebrew. After I was sure the phone was ok, I downloaded what I wanted from the app catalog and then reinstalled my tweaks & homebrew, but I'd hate to have to do this everytime I want to add a new program. I'm hoping I did something wrong. I used the webosquickinstall for everything.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcoaster View Post
    So, you call Palm Support and expect that they will give you a straight answer about future plans? Of course they are working on adjusting the amount of space for apps. Give it time, probably a week or two.
    Agreed, though I think it will probably take a little more than "a week or two." I just have a sneaking suspicion that they may wait a while to fix that particular issue.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast