Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottyd View Post
    Tell me about it. I made this comment on another thread. But they are literally loosing money. I was trying to download one of the paid apps earlier and they gave me the error delete apps to make room screen.

Seems like if you want to make money you would try and get as many apps downloaded as possible. That is why I have to believe that Palm is working on this.

Other wise they would be in trouble with the people who are submitting apps to them. Why bust your *** to develop something have demand and no way for your audience to get access to it?
    My thoughts exactly. Impulse buying is what made/makes iTunes/iTunes app store a success. Who wants to try to buy, get an error message that you need to delete some app/apps, especially when you have 5GB of free space.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Yeah I don't get it either...or why not just fix it easily?

Maybe it'll be gone when the app catalog is out of beta? Not that i have a list of apps i want to download right now...but still..silly.
    ... people...

The app store is still in beta

Homebrew is encouraged, but not supported by Palm (meaning they wont software support it, they do however support the effort)

Limiting the # of apps allows Palm to effectively beta apps and the catalog. If there was an unlimited amount of space, you would no doubt have a large groups of users with every possible app, "just cuz"

Having a limit to the space available can be useful as they sort out how the phone will be used by most users, how apps interact with one another, how services and other tweaks work concurrently.

This is just a guess, but Id hazard that having a dedicated partition for app installs makes the multi-tasking easier/faster?

I currently have 72 installed packages, including about a dozen tweaks. I wouldnt say that is unreasonable. I can continue to install through preware, but cannot access anything in the catalog. There is little in the catalog of interest that isnt available in homebrew, so for now Im good. It is, however, annoying. I cant imagine Palm will let this go for all of eternity - once the app catalog is no longer beta, I would assume this 'restriction' will be lifted, or at least the partition size increased.

Its been 4 months folks.. the 6 month mark should be Palms time to shine IMO. Until then, lets give good feedback to them through proper channels. Or, we can just vent on the internet and accomplish nothing, I mean, it works for most people I guess.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by phreakish View Post
    ... people...

Homebrew is encouraged, but not supported by Palm (meaning they wont software support it, they do however support the effort)

Limiting the # of apps allows Palm to effectively beta apps and the catalog. If there was an unlimited amount of space, you would no doubt have a large groups of users with every possible app, "just cuz"

Having a limit to the space available can be useful as they sort out how the phone will be used by most users, how apps interact with one another, how services and other tweaks work concurrently.

This is just a guess, but Id hazard that having a dedicated partition for app installs makes the multi-tasking easier/faster?

I currently have 72 installed packages, including about a dozen tweaks. I wouldnt say that is unreasonable. I can continue to install through preware, but cannot access anything in the catalog. There is little in the catalog of interest that isnt available in homebrew, so for now Im good. It is, however, annoying. I cant imagine Palm will let this go for all of eternity - once the app catalog is no longer beta, I would assume this 'restriction' will be lifted, or at least the partition size increased.

Its been 4 months folks.. the 6 month mark should be Palms time to shine IMO. Until then, lets give good feedback to them through proper channels. Or, we can just vent on the internet and accomplish nothing, I mean, it works for most people I guess.
    So what is the puropse of a 8GB phone?
    ... people...

I agree with your reasoning, but sorry we dont live in a reasonable world, psychologically, what palm is doing is simply scandalous.

If palm were to come out with a strong apology and explanation, as well as a solid plan for limit removal, that MIGHT work.

Otherwise, I have absolutely no problem using any press I can find to force them, no matter how small a voice I might be.

Its simply ridiculous.
    Makes sense phreakish except 6 months is a lifetime in technology i go through phones every 12 months so it means i am halfway through the life of my pre. the other phone not mentioning the name can download tons of apps

Fred
    ... people...

The money I paid to Palm/Sprint is real.

Fail to see logic.

Not really.

Also false

I currently have 72 installed packages, including about a dozen tweaks. I wouldnt say that is unreasonable.
    I have ~40

I cant imagine Palm will let this go for all of eternity - once the app catalog is no longer beta, I would assume this 'restriction' will be lifted, or at least the partition size increased.
    It wont. They'll fix it. But for it to have lingered this long is nonsensical.

Its been 4 months folks.. the 6 month mark should be Palms time to shine IMO.
    And you picked 6 because it's a nice number?

Until then, lets give good feedback to them through proper channels. Or, we can just vent on the internet and accomplish nothing, I mean, it works for most people I guess.
    So venting about people venting is more productive?
    ... people...

[...large amount of text I don't need to quite...]
    I think your logic makes sense if and only if Palm made it so you could download applications but had a soft limit (perhaps in a preference somewhere?).

This whole partition business... well, that's not quite as easy to reverse and it sounds like they originally did not want many applications installed.

Instead of making a unified storage, they ended up splitting it and now they have to un-split it. So instead of testing it one time back when the phone was about to come out, they now had to test that plus whatever they do to unify the storage.

Wasted resources, in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelrj View Post
    So what is the puropse of a 8GB phone?
    Let me try to explain it to you.

WebOS is built on a Linux kernel and needs to run in a Linux memory partition in order to work properly. In order to install music and such using a PC with USB you need a FAT32 partition. Palm wanted to keep the media partition (FAT32) as large as possible and in hindsight ended up making the Linux partition too small.

Trust me if Palm made the Linux partition 2 GB and only left 5GB for media there would have been complaining. Any way they slice it there will be those that will complain.

Some of the apps could possibly run in the FAT32 Partition but those requiring Linux services and such can not. So therefore the only proper solution will be to make the Linux partition larger and the media partition smaller. This would be an easy task if one did not mind having a full erase install of a new version of WebOS. Doing it without wiping is very difficult and might even be impossible.

As others have said, palm is working on this and will have a solution in short order. You have 2 possible courses of action. One is to be patient and wait for a fix and the other is to whine and moan like a 3rd grade school girl. Your choice.
    Last edited by rc46; 10/05/2009 at 10:40 PM.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post

WebOS is built on a Linux kernel and needs to run in a Linux memory partition in order to work properly. In order to install music and such using a PC with USB you need a FAT32 partition. Palm wanted to keep the media partition (FAT32) as large as possible and in hindsight ended up making the Linux partition too small.

Trust me if Palm made the Linux partition 2 GB and only left 5GB for media there would have been complaining. Any way they slice it there will be those that will complain.

Some of the apps could possible run in the FAT32 Partition but those requiring Linux services and such can not. So therefore the only proper solution will be to make the Linux partition larger and the media partition smaller. This would be an easy task if one did not mind have a full erase install of a new version of WebOS. Doing it without wiping is very difficult and might even be impossible.

As others have said, palm is working on this and will have a solution in short order. You have 2 possible courses of action. One is to be patient and wait for a fix and the other is to whine and moan like a 3rd grade school girl. Your choice.
    It's funny, I have over 60gb of music in the "Palm of of hand with the Pre". I have over 7gb free on the Pre and can't download any Apps from the catalog. So tell me why I need a 7.8GB FAT32 partition????
    I understand now why Palm called this phone the Pre.

Because this phone at time of launch was in 'Pre-alpha' stage. An inside joke kind of thing.

A product in pre-alpha stage is "usually not 'feature complete'. At this stage designers are still determining exactly what functionalities the product should and should not have."

I think it is the reality and the truth to some degree... and again I guess you can blame it on the fact that Palm was almost dead and if they didnt release, they never would.

The app store was far from Beta... and you can see it where the pieces are finally coming into place now... I would say we are in true Beta now with the App store.

I really dont know if this was the case and if they had to deal with this in Android but Palm really has made their users a bigger part of developing then they really should make paying customers/users. I would say that when 2nd gen comes out, Palm better give the early adopters a good deal in upgrading.

Again... maybe no choice. Maybe a lot of you guys on the forums are ok with it and wear the badge of "early adopters" proudly. But for the general consumer not a good idea and don't think they realize to what level they were going to be guinnea pigs.

Hope those owners survive it in good spirits to be loyal enough for gen 2 and beyond.

i can think of no reason why webOS couldn't use FAT 32 disks. Its supported by any Linux distroes.
    ... people...

Homebrew is encouraged, but not supported by Palm
    earlier today i had zero homebrew apps installed and 12 official apps. I still got the memory error. They can blame homebrew all they want. It's not homebrew's fault.

and honestly. what does it matter to me that it has the word "beta" stamped on it? Not a thing. From the user perspective it works or it doesn't. period. i'm not a beta tester. that it says beta make zero difference.

Its been 4 months folks.
    Really i don't think it matters. 4 months is a long time. I like my pre but but i'm not a f*nbboy of any product. And neither are the friends i have with Pre's. They'll go to another phone if it suits them. And if aPre experience turns sour, they will just go to another phone. Hell i left sprint cause the experience sucked and it took them 12 years for me to come back. And really it was Palm that got me back not Sprint. Wasn't my fault it was Sprint's. And Palm should pay attention to that lesson. The warning signs are their they just need to be in front of it and honestly it's been a known issue for two months. They've had two updates in the last two weeks and neither addressed the issue. I've heard no statement from palm saying, "Hey we know it. We are on it. It will be fixed in a week." Which would end virtually all issues they have with people constantly bringing this issue up. They can make a good O.S. and a good product but they can't skimp on the customer support on this issue. It's hurt many other companies before them most notably the very company that is their carrier. They could use some help in keeping customer's informed. Palm isn't yet a brand with so much loyalty that they fail on this issue.
    I'm confused about the app limit. I'm getting that error too but I just used the quickwebos installer to make some changes to my phone and I think it may be related to that. I just made minor changes... some patches, a dialer theme and 5 homebrew apps. I uninstalled the homebrew apps and am still getting this error. Did I do something wrong? I even rebooted my phone again after I did the uninstall. *edit* I also hadn't downloaded a large amount of apps from the catalog previously.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Quote Originally Posted by egretman View Post
    That's the dumbest comment I ever heard.
    You need to recalibrate your sarcasm detectors.
    Thanks for the explanation.

Questions... (Sorry if may be answered elsewhere but you have been very knowledgeable)

How does the Homebrews not hit this app limit but the App Store apps do?

Does Android experience this problem with their App Store and limits?(because they are also linux based)?

Some of the apps could possible run in the FAT32 Partition but those requiring Linux services and such can not. So therefore the only proper solution will be to make the Linux partition larger and the media partition smaller. This would be an easy task if one did not mind have a full erase install of a new version of WebOS. Doing it without wiping is very difficult and might even be impossible.

Of course if they'd just included a mini or micro SD card they could have dedicated a great big chunk of memory to Linux and most people would have applauded. That's why I pray that the Pre II from Verizon has external storage!
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandStone View Post
    You need to recalibrate your sarcasm detectors.
    to be fair, it's the internet. Unless you use an emoticon or indicate overtly that you're being sarcastic it's pretty hard to tell.
    Jimmie Geddes
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast