Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
    if I'm not mistaken, we wouldn't be able to do app updates if the modification suggested above were used. Is there a way around that?
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by a2k View Post
    Knock on wood, I think this is my 5th day with all patches including MyTether and no problems!
    I did the same thing that a2k did; doctored my phone, reinstalled 1.2.1, then reinstalled all the tweaks and my tether. Right after all restoration and reinstall, I received a duplicate update notification, so I ran the update again (after removing all tweaks/patches) then reinstalled all tweaks back. It has been 5 days without the threat since then, all tweaks and my tether work fine so far.
    So maybe this is a numbers thing... For whatever reason, some devices are being prompted to install x number of times, but no more. I've installed the 1.2.1 update 3 times total, including the initial release. Has anyone done it more than 3 times total?
    i just got a notification this morning to install 1.2.1 for the 3rd time!!!! seriously

oh, and i do not have my-tether
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    I have updated it 3 times so far, including the initial releases of 1.2.1
    Same problem
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Original update --> 3 duplicate updates --> back to 1.2.0 through doctor --> 1 duplicate update --> none so far (5 days w/o threat)
  8. a2k
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by st0921 View Post
    Original update --> 3 duplicate updates --> back to 1.2.0 through doctor --> 1 duplicate update --> none so far (5 days w/o threat)
    This is good stuff, my path...

1.2.0 through doctor --> immediate 1.2.1 through update --> my patches and MyTether installed ( going on 6 days w/o threat! )
    Mine updated to 1.2.1 3 times total now. No patches just homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by a2k View Post
    This is good stuff, my path...

1.2.0 through doctor --> immediate 1.2.1 through update --> my patches and MyTether installed ( going on 6 days w/o threat! )
    i orignally did 1.2 w/ the doctor, but still my 3rd time getting. 1.2.1
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I redid my phone completely with the 1.2.1 doctor. I installed all of my tweaks and favorite programs. I checked for updates after EACH one to see which triggered the update. None did. I thought I was in the clear, two days later, I get notification that i need to update... grrrrrr... Anybody want to write an app to disable/enable updating, similar to the app that we have for getting into dev mode.... might be really handy about now.

Jason
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    +1 here. Just had my third 1.2.1 update forced down my throat this morning. Did it once at user request, the next two were all force updates from OTA.
    Alright, maybe this is off the wall, but just consider it. Wasn't 1.2 when Palm said that to use the apps catalog, you had to agree to permit Palm to remove any app that they basically wanted to. To remove an app that they want, they would have to keep track of what apps are installed. I am positive they wouldn't constantly monitor our phones, but periodically check since they would have to know every phone that has the app to be able to remove the app. I also don't think they keep track of the apps installed by name. They probably would be more efficient and have some form of code setting with individual bit settings for any app installed. It is also feasible that the code word is getting mis-set with "homebrew, or preware installs, or some other patch.

I bring this up cause I don't know anyone with a virgin Pre that has the issue of repeated downloads. And, if I read correctly, the problem does happen to different individuals with different patches/tweaks loaded. The download notification isn't immediate, but some time after re-install and redoing the tweaks. Different people - different tweaks. But nearly all get the download.

Just a thought.
    after about a week, I was asked to update for a third time.
    ugh. wiped all my tweaks and reinstalled (again). retweaked, and sure enough, got another notice to update. i think this has to be the 4th time it's asked me to reinstall.

i just ignore it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostSonic View Post
    I found out how to disable updating. It requires rooting your phone, but it's really not as hard as it may sound.
    Just install mojo SDK, put your Pre into developer mode (upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart), plug it in to your computer, select "Just Charge", then open up command prompt, type, without quotes, "novacom -t open tty://"
    Then use these commands:
    Code:
    cd /usr/bin
    mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod -x UpdateDaemon
    mount -o remount,ro /
    Then reset your phone or just type
    Code:
    killall UpdateDaemon
    To re enable, use:
    Code:
    cd /usr/bin
    mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod +x UpdateDaemon
    mount -o remount,ro /
    and then reset your phone.

When you're done, type exit to exit out of novacom, and unplug your phone.
    I'd post a link to the "Blocking Updates" page on WebOS-internals, but apparently, I'm not allowed to post links until I have 10 posts here, hrm.
    Got an update notice this morning (4th one). Just tried this patch and will keep u guys informed.
    This is getting irksome. After 1.1 came out, I had some homebrew, like FlashLight and MyTether that required root. I had to reinstall 1.1 like 3 times.

I just got into patching 2 days ago after preware 0.9.3 was released. No themes yet, just patches like 4 x4 4 icons v2, Call duration, virtual keyboard and 15 more. This is my first time getting the 1.2.1 reinstall.

Question. Do I really need to wipe my patches before I reinstall 1.2.1 again? I mean, it's the same version I'm running, or will the reinstall overwrite stuff the patches need to work?
    That's why I want to disable update. Removing all patches is somewhat easier with EPR, but I get tired of getting my Pre just right, then another phantom update. To answer your question, yes, I believe the udpate (although not really an update) would wipe your tweaks. It is safest to remove tweaks and themes first. If you don't I think Preware and WOQI will be confused. YMMV
    3rd time for 1.2.1 update for me. UGH. Hearing reports of this from Pre-owning friends as well.
    Okay, thanks. I guess it is best to play it safe and do the EPR. I hope this faux update thing gets fixed soon. PALLLLMMMMMMM! PALLLLMMMMMM! </Cptn. Kirk>
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast