Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2surf View Post
    I am having the problem for first time after weeks of using 1.2.1 and tweaks. I wonder if it is possible to physically delete the updater from wherever it resides on the Pre ?

I just spent 15 minutes with Palm support via chat... and they are clueless as to why (I did not mention tweaks etc).
    Yes, I updated to 1.2.1 almost as soon as it was available. As soon as WOQI was updated, i then reinstalled my favorite tweaks, and mytether. Today was the first time I got an update notification. I didn't realize it was 1.2.1 until I checked here during the upgrade and saw that people were getting phantom update notifications.
    Same thing happened to me I did the update 3 times, each time the size was different. I did the update all 3 times and haven't seen it since....eh..not too worried
    Jesus the uncreated creator - All things came into existence through him, and apart from him not even one thing came into existence. (John 1:3 NWT)

Treo 600 > Treo 650 > PPC6700 > PPC6800 > Touch Diamond > Palm Pre > HTC EVO
    This happened to me today. I installed a custom patch for LED blinking and updated Preware to all the new stuff. Don't know if it's related. I really don't want to do have it install again. Does the update replace everything, so you have to install every single tweak again? It's a pain to get rid of all the tweaks and patches first.
    This is also happening to me. I have 1.2.1 already installed, and have Sprint config 1.9. I have a number of patches installed... I'll have to check at home for a complete list.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Mine was fine w/ 1.2.1 until today.. now I'm getting a request to upgrade to 1.2.1 as well. .WHAT THE?

I'm wondering if mytether is the culprit.. I reinstalled it last night..
    -m
    this is really annoying, i woke up this morning and pre had installed the update for the third time along with killing all my patches urrrrghhhhhhhhhh
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Have been running 1.2.1 for the past week or so (since day it came out) with my favorite tweaks (same as others on here). Today, i updated preware and about 30 mins later, i have a notification that a new update is avail for my device. I checked, it's 1.2.1 again... but, the time to download is estimated at 15mins, which is less than when i updated the first time.... grrrrr.... (on top of this, Preware is broken.... nothing is showing, just the basic menu system)....

EDIT:
    this thread fixes preware: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...t-working.html
    Quote Originally Posted by gr8hifi View Post
    Have been running 1.2.1 for the past week or so (since day it came out) with my favorite tweaks (same as others on here). Today, i updated preware and about 30 mins later, i have a notification that a new update is avail for my device. I checked, it's 1.2.1 again... but, the time to download is estimated at 15mins, which is less than when i updated the first time.... grrrrr.... (on top of this, Preware is broken.... nothing is showing, just the basic menu system)....

same for me the only thing I had installed before 1.2 was My-Tether and no tweaks.
    on 10/7 i installed
    the LED message
    the battery % and icon
    date on top bar format MM/DD
    reduce min brightness
    roam only
    call duration in log
    month view as default
    email in landscape
    txt in landscape
    read/del all in email
    txt forward
    txt character counter
    square screen
    charging alert disabled

homebrew apps installed same day and PREWARE but not installed through preware
    flashlight!
    xboxlive friends
    beerology

about 1-2 days later
    virtual keyboard

I check for updates everyday and about 1hr ago it asked me to update 1.2.1 again and the size was just above 150mb

I'm also a sprint customer. Is this problem only with sprint or is it my tether?
    side note: I rooted my pre to install my-tether and I get 1.5-3mbps download from sprint network thats useful for me please dont be my-tether

hope my input helps
    Allow me to join the club of those who had 1.2.1 install itself by accident...on top of all my patches and cleared them.

I hope nothing got messed up due to running and OTA update with patches, including the virtual keyboard, applied.

It seems like the only common theme so far is the latest version of Preware... could that be doing it?

The really cool thing is that none of my patches are actually functioning, but they all show that they are installed in Preware. Awesome.
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    Notifications to udpate to 1.2.1 started coming up last night for me. Have been ignoring it so far.
    I found out how to disable updating. It requires rooting your phone, but it's really not as hard as it may sound.
    Just install mojo SDK, put your Pre into developer mode (upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart), plug it in to your computer, select "Just Charge", then open up command prompt, type, without quotes, "novacom -t open tty://"
    Then use these commands:
    Code:
    cd /usr/bin
    mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod -x UpdateDaemon
    mount -o remount,ro /
    Then reset your phone or just type
    Code:
    killall UpdateDaemon
    To re enable, use:
    Code:
    cd /usr/bin
    mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod +x UpdateDaemon
    mount -o remount,ro /
    and then reset your phone.

When you're done, type exit to exit out of novacom, and unplug your phone.
    I'd post a link to the "Blocking Updates" page on WebOS-internals, but apparently, I'm not allowed to post links until I have 10 posts here, hrm.
    Has anyone had to do the update more than 3 times?
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    I had my Palm changed out with I'm sure a refurbed model yesterday afternoon. It also lost my profile but I had the contacts backed up myself with Chaptura. It didn't have the latest version on it when I checked updates so I brought it up to date. Then I piled on my favorites including My Tether, DigiClock, Battery Monitor, Sports Calendar, Quick Contacts and Scientific Calculator and as of a few minutes ago when I read this over 24 hours later and I've not heard a thing. Just now I checked for updates manually and nothing is showing. I wonder if there's a new bios in the newer and replacement phones.

G..
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostSonic View Post
    I found out how to disable updating. It requires rooting your phone, but it's really not as hard as it may sound.
    Just install mojo SDK, put your Pre into developer mode (upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart), plug it in to your computer, select "Just Charge", then open up command prompt, type, without quotes, "novacom -t open tty://"
    Then use these commands:
    Code:
    cd /usr/bin
    mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod -x UpdateDaemon
    mount -o remount,ro /
    Then reset your phone or just type
    Code:
    killall UpdateDaemon
    To re enable, use:
    Code:
    cd /usr/bin
    mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod +x UpdateDaemon
    mount -o remount,ro /
    and then reset your phone.

When you're done, type exit to exit out of novacom, and unplug your phone.
    I'd post a link to the "Blocking Updates" page on WebOS-internals, but apparently, I'm not allowed to post links until I have 10 posts here, hrm.
    Does this disable unwanted, unattended updating or does it even prevent manual updating of WebOS ? Thank you for discovering (writing) this hack.
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2surf View Post
    Does this disable unwanted, unattended updating or does it even prevent manual updating of WebOS ? Thank you for discovering (writing) this hack.
    It disables updating completely, so both "unattended" and manual updates will no longer work. But when the next REAL update comes around, you can just simply re-enable it, so no real trouble there.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    first for me today..... Lol
    I went ahead and took my phone to the 1.2.1 doctor yesterday because I had already lost all my patches from 1.2.1 blapping over everything.

After doing the doctor update to 1.2.1 I reinstalled Preware and all the patches.

The only thing I did not install is My Tether.

I have not received a request to update.

My guess is that one of the patches got corrupted or left something behind during the 1.2 to 1.2.1 update and that this is an "upgrade" issue rather than an issue with any given patch.

a2k, are you still good even with My Tether? I would like to reinstall it if possible.
  18. a2k
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jkurtw View Post
    a2k, are you still good even with My Tether? I would like to reinstall it if possible.
    Knock on wood, I think this is my 5th day with all patches including MyTether and no problems!
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    Wonder if a quick patch can be made to disable udpates to prevent this from happening until a new actual update comes.
    if I'm not mistaken, we wouldn't be able to do app updates if the modification suggested above were used. Is there a way around that?