Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    I did a reinstall last night and ran update immediately after that. Installed preware, mytether, messenger plugin, and various patches. It has been 18 hours since and nowarnings for update to 1.2.1 now. Will keep posted as well.
    Running updater shows no updates available as well.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by st0921 View Post
    So, after I received the third update notification (153MB), I ran Webos doctor, restored to 1.2.0, then ran 1.2.1 update. This time the update was 38MB. After the update I installed tweaks/patches including Mytether, checked the update, it gave me another 1.2.1 update notification... again..., and the update size was 153MB. So, I uninstalled all my tweaks/patches, ran the update, reinstall tweaks/patches (including Mytether), but this time the only patch that I did not install was add/delete launcher pages, as far as I can remember. I've checked update since then, so far my phone's up to date. Will keep checking throughout the day and keep you posted.
    I think it may be the combination of add/delete launcher and Mytether. I did delete Mytether, but forgot to delete the services IPK for Mytether and that is when I had the problem. When I deleted the services IPK, I have not had the problem even with add/delete launcher installed.

I was using the free version of Mytether, which doesn't work anymore for WiFI, so not having it isn't too much of a problem.

The service IPK gets installed in /. I first checked for Mytether, I didn't see it because I was checking it in /var.

HTH,

J
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    My Pre just told me it needs to install the update for the third time. Seems to be days in between each of these update requests. I had MyTether installed at one point, but I removed it (including the service) before at least the last update or two. Only patches I have are 4x4 launcher icons and Add date to top bar. There doesn't seem to be any one thing that is triggering this for everyone based on my reading of all the previous posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by wiz1999 View Post
    My Pre just told me it needs to install the update for the third time. Seems to be days in between each of these update requests. I had MyTether installed at one point, but I removed it (including the service) before at least the last update or two. Only patches I have are 4x4 launcher icons and Add date to top bar. There doesn't seem to be any one thing that is triggering this for everyone based on my reading of all the previous posts.
    You sure you got everything? MyTether goes to:

/usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/
    /usr/lib/luna/java/
    /etc/event.d/
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I don't have MyTether last night and got the update message while Pre was on touchstone. Unfortunately it was 4am and I blearily hit the Update Now button and didn't even think about my tweaks. I had virtual keyboard, add new pages, and blinking LED...all gone. Can anyone recommend the best way to reinstall these patches if you DIDN'T uninstall them first? I have PreWare and WebOS QI. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Bueller...

Bueller...

Bueller...
    You guys are scaring me..... and I ain't afraid of nothin (LOL).
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    I also just got the notification that I need to update to 1.2.1, but I already have it installed...what gives.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    This happened to me once on the day 1.2.1 came out. When I first saw that 1.2.1 was available, I removed all my patches (about 20), installed 1.2.1, then reinstalled the 20-some patches. I use preware, and my phone generally stays in dev mode. Couple hours later, I get the dreaded 1.2.1 update message. This time, I let it update without removing any patches. After the update, I removed them and reinstalled and have not received the 1.2.1 update request since then.

I did have the free version of My Tether installed at some point during that whole process, but have since removed it, although I do not remember WHEN in the process. I think it was AFTER the 2nd update. In any case, I have not received a 1.2.1 update request since the weekend. I suspect the free My Tether is the cause. Seems to be a common thread running through most of what's posted here. If you are still getting the 1.2.1 update notification and you have the free (i.e. non-donation required) My Thether installed, I would suggest removing it. Without WiFi, it's fairly useless anyway.
    It may be that the version # of WebOS is 1.2.1, but the Sprint Configuration Revision is something other than 1.9.

I had the same problm as those above - every day or so my Pre would prompt me to update to version 1.2.1 when it had already succesfully completed several times before.

Today, I received a text on my phone from the Sprint Store I bought my phone from. It stated that I was entitled to a free 'software upgrade' and that I needed to bring the phone to the store to have it done. I called Spint's 800 # and nobody knew anything. So, I went to the store and asked what the upgrade was for. None of the techs could tell me anything that made sense Apparently they were given a script to tell customers which made it sound like this "software upgrade" addressed the same issues as WebOS 1.2.1, but wasn't WebOS 1.2.1 and it was only necesary for certain Pre hardware revisions (I was one of the first to received mine due to advance order). After I reluctantly let them do the upgrade, I went into the Device Info app and observed that my Sprint Config had changed to 1.9.

So far, I haven't had any other prompts to upgrade, but it is still early.

Has anybody else looked at their Sprint Config version?
  11. a2k
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pscharfg View Post
    It may be that the version # of WebOS is 1.2.1, but the Sprint Configuration Revision is something other than 1.9.

I had the same problm as those above - every day or so my Pre would prompt me to update to version 1.2.1 when it had already succesfully completed several times before.

Today, I received a text on my phone from the Sprint Store I bought my phone from. It stated that I was entitled to a free 'software upgrade' and that I needed to bring the phone to the store to have it done. I called Spint's 800 # and nobody knew anything. So, I went to the store and asked what the upgrade was for. None of the techs could tell me anything that made sense Apparently they were given a script to tell customers which made it sound like this "software upgrade" addressed the same issues as WebOS 1.2.1, but wasn't WebOS 1.2.1 and it was only necesary for certain Pre hardware revisions (I was one of the first to received mine due to advance order). After I reluctantly let them do the upgrade, I went into the Device Info app and observed that my Sprint Config had changed to 1.9.

So far, I haven't had any other prompts to upgrade, but it is still early.

Has anybody else looked at their Sprint Config version?
    I'm on my 3rd day without 1.2.1 threat. I am running the Sprint 1.9 config. However, I don't know which version of Sprint config was running when I did have the problems. Thanks for sharing, will keep an eye on this.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    I'm running sprint 1.9 and still got a notification that I needed to update my phone to 1.2.1 so...
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    same happening to me.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    I just got my 3rd update notification. I have NO patches installed since 1.2. I uninstalled everything using Quick Install before updating to 1.2.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    I just got my 3rd update notification. I have NO patches installed since 1.2. I uninstalled everything using Quick Install before updating to 1.2.
    This is annoying. Can't we just make a patch to get rid of this message for good?
    This has to stop. I was prompted with the install message, and accidentally clicked Install. 20 minutes later, I have to reapply all of my tweaks. This is unacceptable. What is causing this?
  18. a2k
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    I wonder if Palm even cares?
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    I am having the problem for first time after weeks of using 1.2.1 and tweaks. I wonder if it is possible to physically delete the updater from wherever it resides on the Pre ?

I just spent 15 minutes with Palm support via chat... and they are clueless as to why (I did not mention tweaks etc).
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    I have many files downloaded today in a folder called "save_for_software_update". These (plus Open Source Information.pdf) are the only files and only folder with a modification date today.

I wonder if these are deleted these files, if perhaps then the Pre will, at least, not sense the need to prompt me for install now or later (or in 10 minutes ...). These files were downloaded in my case after I manually checked for updates.

Obviously, the urge to download the 1.2.1 update may be a different thing.

--------------
    Update: I deleted all the files from save_for_software_update folder, restarted the Pre and was prompted to update. So, there must be a hidden file or something online back on the Sprint side that tells the Pre that there is an update downloaded and ready to install. I hastily copied the files back into the folder in case the update squeaks through.

If there was a file or a "switch" that downloaded that tells the Pre to update -- it would be good to be able to reverse this (but it is beyond me).
    Last edited by liv2surf; 10/09/2009 at 02:42 PM.
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast