Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819 LastLast
    Well, right after posting I got hit again. And for some reason I cannot get Terminal to work. I enter what's posted above, but am I supposed to hit enter after entering each line? Do I use the space key to start a new line for each line written? Do I just swipe the card away after entering everything? Do I start a new line for the last killall line? I took it out of developer mode, and when it restarted I was told there was an update waiting. I cannot kill the thing.
    Never mind. Got it after a number of false starts. Thankfully. Now if we could figure out WTH is going on? Certainly appears to be due in some cases to My Tether.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    So, I installed patches, tether, terminals, ssh, in 3 pres. One has the continue update request issue, the other two seems okay so far. The only diff is, on the first one, I always added the patchs right after the update. The other two were patched almost a week after the update. It's been about 2+ weeks for the last 2 pres. I have to update mine, the first pre, twice already since then. Is it possible that we just need to give the update program to recheck status first after some time (24 hr? 48 hr?) before we should add the patches? Just a thought... It's been 2 days since my last update. Thinking about adding the patches now. We'll see if this helps. Of course, I won't mind if 1.3.1 come before that.

Anybody wait after update before installing patches that still have the continuing update issue? How long did you wait before installing the patches?

UPDATE: Okay, this theory doesn't hold. I installed the patches, and got the next update request the next morning. Still kinda interesting that the other 2 pres still doesn't get any update request till now. I guess, I'll just have to disable the updater for now...
    Last edited by precheck; 11/04/2009 at 08:51 AM.
    Just saying you have MyTether installed isn't enough information. Is it the free or paid version of MyTether, and if the free version, are you using the installer from MyTether, or the modified installer Jason made?
    Quote Originally Posted by McKathryn View Post
    This is what I did:

The original instructions can be found in post 111 in this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1966987

I used the Terminal application to type these commands right from my Pre. You can download Terminal (and the Terminal service, which now downloads automatically before Terminal) through Preware: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...0-preware.html

Once you have Terminal installed on your pre, put your pre into developer mode: just start typing upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart from the main screen. You'll see a toggle for Developer Mode, switch it to on and your pre will restart.

The next part you must do very carefully. Open the Terminal app and type (*note the spaces between letters and symbols**without the word "Code:"*) from post #111:

Code:
    cd /usr/bin
    mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod -x UpdateDaemon
    mount -o remount,ro /

Then reset your phone or just type
    Code:
    killall UpdateDaemon
    --

To re enable, use:
    Code:
    cd /usr/bin
    mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod +x UpdateDaemon
    mount -o remount,ro /
    and then reset your phone.

Remember to take your phone out of developer mode afterward, and keep the instructions for re-enabling the UpdateDaemon handy. HTH.
    What would be really nice would be if someone could simply create a patch with a toggle for blocking updates. Anyone done that, or working on it?
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    had to do another update today =(
    please, for the love of pre, a patch to stop updates!
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    What would be really nice would be if someone could simply create a patch with a toggle for blocking updates. Anyone done that, or working on it?
    There's nothing to *patch*. Look at the commands. Only
    the file permissions are being changed, not the contents.

ian
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    There's nothing to *patch*. Look at the commands. Only
    the file permissions are being changed, not the contents.

ian
    OK....I really don't comprehend the command structure as I haven't worked with it at all in any way. But isn't this similar to some "procedures" like a Luna restart? Could there not be an app (if not a patch) to perform the block?
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Just saying you have MyTether installed isn't enough information. Is it the free or paid version of MyTether, and if the free version, are you using the installer from MyTether, or the modified installer Jason made?

paid using the installer from my tether, no rooting or other homebrew beyond what i've installed using filecoaster.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    OK....I really don't comprehend the command structure as I haven't worked with it at all in any way. But isn't this similar to some "procedures" like a Luna restart? Could there not be an app (if not a patch) to perform the block?
    Apps, by design, can't write or change permissions of files on the / partition.

ian
    Yes, it could be done as there is a way for WOQI and Preware to run a script, but the respective teams that provide those tools don't include scripts willy-nilly. But its definitely possible.

However there might be some concern about delivering the ability to disable a core feature that Palm might not appreciate. Palm and the dev community are currently showing each other a lot of mutual respect, and I'm sure everyone would prefer to keep it that way.
    Still updating, updating, updating...
    Just make a bash script for it. put it in /usr/bin or in the /opt/bin

call it updatestatuschanger

the just type "updatestatuschanger" into the terminal

pseudocode

if permission on updatedaemon -x then +x else chmod -x

something like that. too lazy to write it now.
    Oh how I wish I could send you some energy!

Quote Originally Posted by lancey3 View Post
    Just make a bash script for it. put it in /usr/bin or in the /opt/bin

call it updatestatuschanger

the just type "updatestatuschanger" into the terminal

pseudocode

if permission on updatedaemon -x then +x else chmod -x

something like that. too lazy to write it now.
    Quote Originally Posted by McKathryn View Post
    Oh how I wish I could send you some energy!
    Me too....frankly, playing around with commands in terminal makes me nervous.
    Actually, I get kind of a kick out of Terminal. Reminds me of DOS days

That said, a patch or script or something would be much more user-friendly.

Me too....frankly, playing around with commands in terminal makes me nervous.
    I couldn't get it to happen how I wanted so here is a two script file. I don't trust anyone so I'm not going to host it on my server. Make these into files with your favorite editor nano vi whatever. run the first one to fix it. Second one to restore it. Really didn't do anything which makes me angry. I don't know how to parse a files permissions =[

#!/bin/sh
    mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod -x UpdateDaemon
    mount -o remount,ro /
    killall UpdateDaemon
    reboot

#!/bin/sh
    mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod +x UpdateDaemon
    mount -o remount,ro /
    reboot

---------------------------

Here is what I was working on if anyone can find the errors and fix it go ahead.

$i=UpdateDaemon;

do if [ -x $(echo $i) ];
    then echo $i; echo "exec";
    chmod u-x $i;
    else chmod u+x $i;
    fi done
    Update to 1.2.1 showed up again todat randomly. Go away!
    my mom's having the same problem and her phone have nothing but my teather installed on it...