Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    The previously mentioned My Tether.
    Note that I am *not* saying this app is the cause, since I have no information with which to make that judgement.

I am simply noting that it does things differently to every other advanced homebrew app installation, and the thing it does differently exactly matches what chuq warns about.

It is very possible that something else is to blame. It could easily be a webos-internals.org package (although we specifically do everything we can to avoid this type of collision with Palm tools) - we have no information other than what chuq has posted, and we have seen no pattern related to the group of people affected vs the group of people who are not affected.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 10/23/2009 at 05:03 PM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Note that I am *not* saying this app is the cause, since I have no information with which to make that judgement.

I am simply noting that it does things differently to every other advanced homebrew app installation, and the thing it does differently exactly matches what chuq warns about.

If it very possible that something else is to blame. It could easily be a webos-internals.org package (although we specifically do everything we can to avoid this type of collision with Palm tools) - we have no information other than what chuq has posted, and we have seen no pattern related to the group of people affected vs the group of people who are not affected.
    I agree entirely, that's the same point I was trying to make before though you say it better. It might not be the cause, but it's the only one I know of that does it this way.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    It is very possible that something else is to blame.
    Quote Originally Posted by chuq View Post
    If you are seeing repeated requests to update your phone to 1.2.1, it is probably because something has been installed into the root partition on the phone.
    So quilt uses /.pc for its patch control files. I know that's a hidden directory, but do we think it would be possible for that to be causing a problem as well? Just wanted to throw something else out for possible consideration.

Personally I like my quilt applied patches more than I care for the automatic updates, so for now I'll use previously mentioned methods to disable UpdateDaemon.
    To me, the bigger question is why Palm would try to detect changes in the root directory as a trigger for an update. Why not just query the installed version number? Seems silly to me (though I'm far from an expert on this sort of thing.)
    No update problems here & running both WebOS 1.2.1 and MyTether 2.0.2 as well as HomeBrew and Preware Quick Install. Only notice I've had from the Pre's Update link since I did the 1.2.1 update was this morning for the Chapura PocketMirror. FWIW I've had my Pre since Aug 18 (came with WebOS 1.0), and I removed all of the tweaks prior to each update, then reinstalled. MyTether was installed on my Pre running 1.1 as a paid app (didn't try the free version), but IIRC I did get the new MyTether installer between between 1.1 and 1.2.

Several co-workers didn't get their Pre's until this month so we did the OS upgrades first, then added MyTether, and Precentral/HomeBrew... Not positive, but I believe their Pres came with 1.0 and build dates of mid August; various tweaks applied per individual user since the 1.2.1... and all use MyTether.
    There's an element of randomness here, it seems. I didn't get the repeat 1.21 upgrade notice until last night, and I've had all kinds of homebrew, patches and MyTether installed for weeks. Perhaps there's a file that gets corrupted, triggering the false update?
    I checked my root partition and noticed a bunch of patch files, more specifically, they're Fritos' Messaging patch files. I'm guessing some of you guys have also used his patches besides installing MyTether
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    To me, the bigger question is why Palm would try to detect changes in the root directory as a trigger for an update. Why not just query the installed version number? Seems silly to me (though I'm far from an expert on this sort of thing.)
    Actually, it's a very intelligent thing for Palm to be doing. The root partition is designed *never* to be modified in the normal operation of an unmodified webO device.

When you are forcibly pushing updates to millions of phones in the field, you don't want to be getting millions of support calls because your latest update happened to collide with some poorly-written piece of homebrew which has no regard for the sanctity of the original webOS firmware installation.

The only way for Palm to guarantee the integrity of the device is to do this check on the root filesystem and force a correction if it is not what is expected.

It is clear that thousands of people are running homebrew installed with Preware with no problems, so the technique that Preware uses to install homebrew is not at fault (and we expected this, because Preware uses *exactly* the same installation locations and ipkg database as the Palm SDK uses - if Preware was to be causing problems with repeated updates, then anyone using the Palm SDK to install a package would also be having problems).

Palm is doing the right thing here.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by drnull View Post
    So quilt uses /.pc for its patch control files. I know that's a hidden directory, but do we think it would be possible for that to be causing a problem as well? Just wanted to throw something else out for possible consideration.

Personally I like my quilt applied patches more than I care for the automatic updates, so for now I'll use previously mentioned methods to disable UpdateDaemon.
    That's definitely something that should be investigated. Can those people who are having the problem check for that directory, and "quilt pop -a" and then remove that directory to see if that fixes the problem?

BTW, all of the patches that were available from the modifications git repo to be applied by quilt are now available in Preware directly, and install without needing a /.pc directory. You might want to go that route if you have no need for other than the 67+ patches in Preware. Or if you do, you could contribute those extra patches to be included in Preware for everyone to benefit from ...

-- Rod
    That's definitely something that should be investigated. Can those people who are having the problem check for that directory, and "quilt pop -a" and then remove that directory to see if that fixes the problem?

BTW, all of the patches that were available from the modifications git repo to be applied by quilt are now available in Preware directly, and install without needing a /.pc directory. You might want to go that route if you have no need for other than the 67+ patches in Preware. Or if you do, you could contribute those extra patches to be included in Preware for everyone to benefit from ...

-- Rod
    Rod, I'm curious. The re-updating is the only problem I've had with the phone at all, and I have been running the paid version of My Tether. If we assume that is the problem, as some have suggested, does the prior post make sense in terms of having to run the doctor to clear up the problem, even if you have uninstalled the app using the installer/uninstaller that you use to install it? I'd rather avoid the doctor if possible.....
    Last edited by davidra; 10/25/2009 at 08:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    Rod, I'm curious. The re-updating is the only problem I've had with the phone at all, and I have been running the paid version of My Tether. If we assume that is the problem, as some have suggested, does the prior post make sense in terms of having to run the doctor to clear up the problem, even if you have uninstalled the app using the installer/uninstaller that you use to install it? I'd rather avoid the doctor if possible.....
    I'm not familiar with what that application does (apart from running ipkg without the -o /var, which is based on historical conversations with it's author and therefore may not even be true now), but if it overwrites Palm files (e.g. a wireless driver) and does not restore the originals on removal then that could easily cause a problem with mismatching md5sums.

-- Rod
    I'm not familiar with what that application does (apart from running ipkg without the -o /var, which is based on historical conversations with it's author and therefore may not even be true now), but if it overwrites Palm files (e.g. a wireless driver) and does not restore the originals on removal then that could easily cause a problem with mismatching md5sums.
    Still true. As for the wireless driver it only temporarily overwrites that, I believe.
    Why does the author of "my tether" not comment on this issue. He is brilliant in what he has offered so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
    Why does the author of "my tether" not comment on this issue. He is brilliant in what he has offered so far.
    Does he comment in the private mytether forums which are only accessible to people who have paid for the application?

-- Rod
  15. a2k
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eastindyguy View Post
    I don't think it is my tether... I have been using it since the first day I got my Pre and I have never been prompted for an update even after I installed the latest update.

Now it could be a combination of my tether and something else.

Same here, I've had MyTether installed w/tweaks and apps, and am now going on over 3 weeks without the 1.2.1 threat. (running outside to knock on wood)
    Quote Originally Posted by a2k View Post
    Same here, I've had MyTether installed w/tweaks and apps, and am now going on over 3 weeks without the 1.2.1 threat. (running outside to knock on wood)
    Both of you will need to give more information for those statements to be useful, cause there are many free and paid versions of mytether, and many different ways in which different subsets of those can be installed.

Just saying "I have MyTether installed" does not convey enough information to be used as useful input into this analysis, unfortunately.

-- Rod
    Does he comment in the private mytether forums which are only accessible to people who have paid for the application?

-- Rod
    Not yet. There are two threads on that forum (the donors only forum) raising the issue, and I linked back to this thread, asking specifically about a possible fix. It may not be the culprit, but it sure is suspicious. Every other thing I've done to the phone has been through either QI or Preware, I've removed all of them before updates, and went a good three weeks between being ordered to update again (against my will). Hopefully he will respond....because I do use the app on weekends....
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    I'm trying to kill that UpdateDaemon...

I'm trying to use WebOS Quick Install's command line - and it doesn't even let me change directories w/ the "cd /usr/bin" - am I horribly missing something?
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by n8cook View Post
    I'm trying to kill that UpdateDaemon...

I'm trying to use WebOS Quick Install's command line - and it doesn't even let me change directories w/ the "cd /usr/bin" - am I horribly missing something?
    Yup, me too. It just brings up the command prompt, and doesn't accept anything from the keyboard.
    I have no experience with the WebOSQI command line. I did successfully (I think) kill the UpdateDaemon using the same commands in Terminal--which can be downloaded via Preware.