Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 87Octane View Post
    I tried to disable updates using the below but no luck:

Code:
    cd /usr/bin
    mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod -x UpdateDaemon
    mount -o remount,ro /
    Every time I plug my phone into charge or I restart I get an update to 1.2.1 prompt. Does the above disable updates but not the prompt, or did I do something wrong?
    Update....

I powered off my phone and restarted and seems that updates are now disabled. I thought a restart would be enough for change to take effect but I guess my phone was being picky. Thanks for posting this, I do not plan to re enable updates until a fix for this is out there.
    I just started having this problem today. I've had tweeks installed and mytether, but haven't had this issue until today. Has anyone figured out the reason this is happening?
    If you are seeing repeated requests to update your phone to 1.2.1, it is probably because something has been installed into the root partition on the phone. Some versions of the homebrew installers did this, and it causes the update program to think the phone needs to be updated. Deleting the app or files won't solve the problem, you'll need to use webOS Doctor and reinitialize the phone to fix this problem. You'll continue to have issues with updates until you run webOS Doctor on the phone.
    Sucky-ness.
    Quote Originally Posted by chuq View Post
    If you are seeing repeated requests to update your phone to 1.2.1, it is probably because something has been installed into the root partition on the phone. Some versions of the homebrew installers did this, and it causes the update program to think the phone needs to be updated. Deleting the app or files won't solve the problem, you'll need to use webOS Doctor and reinitialize the phone to fix this problem. You'll continue to have issues with updates until you run webOS Doctor on the phone.
    I know for a fact that My Tether does this if you use the official installer, rather than the installer for the free version that Jason made, how many people who have this issue have that installed?

I don't have the constant update issue, and I don't have My Tether installed currently (despite paying for it) because of the bad way it installs.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 10/23/2009 at 12:48 PM.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I have this issue now and again, and I used the "paid" installer of mytether. I have not done anything fancy w/the Pre besides this. I have a bunch of homebrew apps, but have never (knowingly) 'rooted' or tweaked my Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by hmjd View Post
    I have this issue now and again, and I used the "paid" installer of mytether. I have not done anything fancy w/the Pre besides this. I have a bunch of homebrew apps, but have never (knowingly) 'rooted' or tweaked my Pre.
    LOL. Another example....

If you have homebrew on your phone, you NOT running a 'stock' pre and have KNOWINGLY tweaked your Pre. The act of running/installing Homebrew is a form of TWEAKING.

From a Quality Standpoint, these forums are like dealing with the mentally handicapped from a comprehension standpoint. Unfortunately since it is highly unlikely that the majority of people in this forum is mentally challenged, it is logical to assume they are just ignorant of how Homebrew works.

Sigh...frustration in weeding through massive amounts of threads to find 'real' issues......not ones created by user's inability to comprehend their own actions....
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianPre View Post
    LOL. Another example....

If you have homebrew on your phone, you NOT running a 'stock' pre and have KNOWINGLY tweaked your Pre. The act of running/installing Homebrew is a form of TWEAKING.

From a Quality Standpoint, these forums are like dealing with the mentally handicapped from a comprehension standpoint. Unfortunately since it is highly unlikely that the majority of people in this forum is mentally challenged, it is logical to assume they are just ignorant of how Homebrew works.

Sigh...frustration in weeding through massive amounts of threads to find 'real' issues......not ones created by user's inability to comprehend their own actions....
    Some people who know how homebrew works have this issue, and many others don't. Obviously there's SOME unofficial cause of this issue, why is it such a problem for the users who do have this issue to figure out which specific tweak or installation is causing the issue so that it can be fixed?
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I just had the issue occur.
    net.aonic.my-tether mojo app is installed in /var
    net.aonic.tether service is installed in /

after removing the tether service, and restarting luna, cycling the usb plug for charging, system asked to upgrade again. Possibly needs a setting reset somewhere, perhaps DB?

If you need an effected device to investigate with, let me know.
    I don't think it is my tether... I have been using it since the first day I got my Pre and I have never been prompted for an update even after I installed the latest update.

Now it could be a combination of my tether and something else.

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I know for a fact that My Tether does this if you use the official installer, rather than the installer for the free version that Jason made, how many people who have this issue have that installed?

I don't have the constant update issue, and I don't have My Tether installed currently (despite paying for it) because of the bad way it installs.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Wow! You're a BAMF who really put me in my place! Thanks!

LOL. Another example....

Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    The second 1.2.1 update whacked my phone. So I ran the Dr. and reloaded most of my patches and HB.

Haven't had the problem since. Unfortunatly, I didn't keep a record of what I had installed and uninstalled before the update.

But, I have the paid versin of MyTether installed now, and Updates says my phone is up to date.
    I used Terminal to do this, this morning. Now I notice that my Pre didn't back up at its usual time. I know there is a backup issue for some (I was one) with 1.2.1. Coincidence, or does the disabling the UpdateDaemon affect the backup function in any way?

Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    the only "fix" I've seen is to unapply all your patches, WebOS Doctor your phone, make sure you update to FW 1.2.1, and then re-apply all your patches. Or you can block the updates by typing this into terminal:

Code:
    cd /usr/bin
    mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod -x UpdateDaemon
    mount -o remount,ro /
    to re-enable updates, enter this into terminal:

Code:
    cd /usr/bin
    mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod +x UpdateDaemon
    mount -o remount,ro /
    Quote Originally Posted by eastindyguy View Post
    I don't think it is my tether... I have been using it since the first day I got my Pre and I have never been prompted for an update even after I installed the latest update.

Now it could be a combination of my tether and something else.
    Sorry, I should clarify, I meant it installs the service to root, not that it necessarily caused the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by McKathryn View Post
    I used Terminal to do this, this morning. Now I notice that my Pre didn't back up at its usual time. I know there is a backup issue for some (I was one) with 1.2.1. Coincidence, or does the disabling the UpdateDaemon affect the backup function in any way?
    I've disabled the UpdateDaemon and my backups seem to be working ok, so I'm guessing they aren't related
    LOL. Another example....

Someone enjoys standing on their Canadian soap box
    Quote Originally Posted by chuq View Post
    Note that from day 1, WebOS-Internals wiki instructions and Optware and Preware and the Package Manager Service have always installed packages using "ipkg -o /var install" (which specifically uses the /var partition rather than the root partition) or "ipkg-opt install" (which specifically uses the /opt partition rather than the root partition).

We did this *specifically* to avoid the issue that chuq is identifying.

We also advised other developers who were using the root partition instead of the /var partition to do the same. Most of them saw the rationale and modified their installation procedure to match ours.

Unfortunately, some did not. Specifically, there is at least one homebrew applications that is installed using a custom author-provided installer instead of using a standard advanced homebrew installer like Preware, and which uses "ipkg install" intead of "ipkg -o /var install" meaning that the Palm ipkg database in the root partition is modified (something that Preware will never do for the reasons chuq states).

That homebrew application may or may not be the cause of this problem, but it definitely is the first place I would suggest is investigated ...

Of course, there could be many other possible reasons, and I do not want to specifically blame any one application until we know more (which is why I have not named the application that installs directly to the root partition ipkg database) - since we don't have the source code to the updating routines, we can't know what exactly Palm is checking.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I initially downloaded and installed 1.2.1. a day went by w/o getting an update alert. but on the 2nd day i was prompted to download and install another update. I did so. It happened one more time the next morning about 8 hours later. i installed it again and its been at least 2 weeks if not more since i got that message. and i have my tether installed btw, and fully homebrewed and tweaked
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Note that from day 1, WebOS-Internals wiki instructions and Optware and Preware and the Package Manager Service have always installed packages using "ipkg -o /var install" (which specifically uses the /var partition rather than the root partition) or "ipkg-opt install" (which specifically uses the /opt partition rather than the root partition).

We did this *specifically* to avoid the issue that chuq is identifying.

We also advised other developers who were using the root partition instead of the /var partition to do the same. Most of them saw the rationale and modified their installation procedure to match ours.

Unfortunately, some did not. Specifically, there is at least one homebrew applications that is installed using a custom author-provided installer instead of using a standard advanced homebrew installer like Preware, and which uses "ipkg install" intead of "ipkg -o /var install" meaning that the Palm ipkg database in the root partition is modified (something that Preware will never do for the reasons chuq states).

That homebrew application may or may not be the cause of this problem, but it definitely is the first place I would suggest is investigated ...

-- Rod
    ....what homebrew app?
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    ....what homebrew app?
    The previously mentioned My Tether.