Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    So is it worth it to add any patches if it might cause this problem?
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotime79 View Post
    So is it worth it to add any patches if it might cause this problem?
    Only if you want all the cool stuff that the patches/apps have to offer. Using the supress updates method, I think its the best solution. We will hear when the next update is out and we can then remove patches and update, then re-enable update suppression.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Agreed. Even if we knew for sure that this problem had anything
    at all to do with patches, tweaks orHB apps, and really there's still zero
    conclusive evidence of that, it's a lot easier just to disable the update
    daemon till the next major update rolls around, than to never
    be able to use any patches, tweaks or HB apps.

Personally I don't think the re-update problem has anything at all
    to do with patches/tweaks/HB apps. It's most likely happening to
    people with stock phones as much as the rest of us, but most folks don't
    notice it since it doesn't disrupt normal operation of the phone, and if
    they do see it, they're little reason to be hanging out in
    these forums reporting it since they have a stock phone.

ian
    Quote Originally Posted by crsman15 View Post
    so I havent done the update yet..well pretty much with all this being said I'm thinking about just ignoring it all together(if I can). But I'll just give the history of my phone before I do this..I started d/l homebrew apps wen I first found out about filecoaster I had downloaded a few apps mytether was one but for some reason I had 2 visit the doctor(or maybe I was being dumb and dit it by accident) but who knows well after that I had put hombrews back on and even installed preware this time around the I also started 2 make themes. I ended up having an annoying issue with the theme so I doctored it again. So saying all that phone has been running fine,besides my power button being an issue, even my theme is good with no issues..and so what I am trying to say is that HERE I COME UPDATE 1.2.1!!!! And I will keep you guys informed of what's happening with me and this craziness(as soon as my phone is charged..lol)
    so i did the update the same day..sorry been busy 2 give an update.. but i had no issues except that my theme was partially deleted but thats ok and since then i havent got anymore updates just the one so who knows!!
    Can someone write a small patch or app to turn updates on/off?
    I was fine and out of no ware I was just updated.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    So I went down to Sprint today, and asked them to re-image the phone. The rep said " Can we do a 'Hard Reset' first?", I said sure. He said "Are you sure, do you have everything backed up?" I said yes! He said "You can do this your self."; and proceeded to show me how.

Launcher>Device Info> Scroll to the bottom and tap "Reset Options">select "Hard Reset"> OK>OK

I didn't know you could do that!

In about 8 minutes, I had a pristine phone. So I went to Palm and restored, and all my accounts were back, it even re-installed my App Catalog paid for apps.

In an hour or so getting everything set back up and all's well in Preland. It didn't ever want to push another update! (yet)
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Oh, just one issue I forgot about. A while back I put in a theme, Golf. And I haven't been able to get rid of it. I tried the default theme, and several others from QI, but all failed leaving the Golf theme installed.

After the reset, I had the default theme (I HATE those Sea Horses), EXCEPT the dialer still has grass growing around it. Go Figger, I'm done playing with themes!
    Quote Originally Posted by wodin View Post
    Oh, just one issue I forgot about. A while back I put in a theme, Golf. And I haven't been able to get rid of it. I tried the default theme, and several others from QI, but all failed leaving the Golf theme installed.

After the reset, I had the default theme (I HATE those Sea Horses), EXCEPT the dialer still has grass growing around it. Go Figger, I'm done playing with themes!
    use webosdoctor instead. doing a hard reset doesn't actually replace all OS files.
    Just FYI you guys, I added the patches back on my Pre the day I installed 1.2.1. Just last night I was notified to update my Pre and it went through the process and completed. Of course before the update took place, I uninstalled my patches.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightburn View Post
    use webosdoctor instead. doing a hard reset doesn't actually replace all OS files.
    I've been trying to do that! I have three Vista boxes and a Win7 Netbook, and the Doctor won't run on any of them, it's the Novacom driver.

I hacked the driver as described in another thread, and got it to run on the Netbook with QI, but when I run the Doctor it insists on replacing it with it's own broken one, and breaks my netbook. Have to reinstall the hacked driver in order to run QI after that.

I've been trying to insert the hacked driver into the Doctor so it will install that instead of the broken one, but my programming skills are a thing of the long forgotten past and I so far have been unsuccessful.

Oct 22 is coming soon, and Palm is going to have to make a version of Novacom that runs in Win7. So it's just a matter of time.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerja View Post
    Only if you want all the cool stuff that the patches/apps have to offer. Using the supress updates method, I think its the best solution. We will hear when the next update is out and we can then remove patches and update, then re-enable update suppression.
    Thanks, the patches look very cool and useful.
    Oct 22 is coming soon, and Palm is going to have to make a version of Novacom that runs in Win7. So it's just a matter of time.
    I've had no trouble installing Novacom in Windows 7.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I've had no trouble installing Novacom in Windows 7.
    I didn't either as long as I followed the directions here. But when I try to run the Doctor, it recognizes the setup as being non standard and re-installs it to the standard configuration. Which doesn't work.

I have four computers that it doesn't work on, and I don't know why. Perhaps it's something to do with the way I set up my systems. The most probable explanation would be my security suite, but I have three different antivirus packages by three different companies, so that can't be it. It's frustrating!

If you read some of the threads referring to Novacom, you'll see that quite a few people have this issue. Palm/Sprint needs to fix it.
    I didn't either as long as I followed the directions here. But when I try to run the Doctor, it recognizes the setup as being non standard and re-installs it to the standard configuration. Which doesn't work.

I have four computers that it doesn't work on, and I don't know why. Perhaps it's something to do with the way I set up my systems. The most probable explanation would be my security suite, but I have three different antivirus packages by three different companies, so that can't be it. It's frustrating!

If you read some of the threads referring to Novacom, you'll see that quite a few people have this issue. Palm/Sprint needs to fix it.
    Yeah, but what I'm saying is it didn't take any additional install on my part, it just worked. You can't entirely blame Palm if it's an issue that only some have. They have a version of Novacom that works perfectly on most Windows 7 PCs.

Are you using the newest (1.2.1?) version of webOS Doctor that would have the newest Novacom in it?
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Are you using the newest (1.2.1?) version of webOS Doctor that would have the newest Novacom in it?
    Yup, Downloaded the 200 Meg file four times yesterday, on a slow WiMax connection I might add!

If I could ever get it to run, I'd just go ahead and do it just to get rid of any junk that the hard reset might have left laying around.

Most bug reports start with "Some users have reported an issue with ... ". It sux when your "Some user"!

On a happier note, I fixed my theme problem, I downloaded the default theme linked to from here and installed it with QI. It got rid of the golf ball in the launcher and the grass around the dialer.

I installed and uninstalled a theme with Preware, and the default theme came back. Wow, what a hassle. I recommend sticking to either Preware or QI if you want to play with themes, and if you use Preware you MUST uninstall any previous themes before adding another!
    Yup, Downloaded the 200 Meg file four times yesterday, on a slow WiMax connection I might add!

If I could ever get it to run, I'd just go ahead and do it just to get rid of any junk that the hard reset might have left laying around.

Most bug reports start with "Some users have reported an issue with ... ". It sux when your "Some user"!

On a happier note, I fixed my theme problem, I downloaded the default theme linked to from here and installed it with QI. It got rid of the golf ball in the launcher and the grass around the dialer.

I installed and uninstalled a theme with Preware, and the default theme came back. Wow, what a hassle. I recommend sticking to either Preware or QI if you want to play with themes, and if you use Preware you MUST uninstall any previous themes before adding another!
    Weird. Only other suggestion I might have is try installing the newest SDK, that should (again) work to install Novacom without any other steps.
    so I updated to 1.2.1 the day the update came out and never got any update notification. I had a lot of apps and patches installed. This past wednesday, I replaced my phone due to hardware failure and continued to installed homebrew apps and patches on my replacement Pre. Today, I got the dreaded notification. It asked to install now or later. I chose later and it just said the update would be installed the next time I charge my phone. No warning or anything.

its weird, and extremely frustrating, that it never happened on my older phone, only my replacement phone. Sheesh, I'm so fed up with the Pre. Can't wait to get the Hero.

"We all follow the Chelsea!!!"
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I have a couple dozen tweaks and patches. Nothing new in the last 2 weeks, but tonight it asked me to upgrade to 1.2.1. Not sure why tonight seemed to be necessary for an update. Only thing I can remember changing is the most recent Music Player remix update, 0.11.1
    Quote Originally Posted by majikTib View Post
    I have a couple dozen tweaks and patches. Nothing new in the last 2 weeks, but tonight it asked me to upgrade to 1.2.1. Not sure why tonight seemed to be necessary for an update. Only thing I can remember changing is the most recent Music Player remix update, 0.11.1
    Being the developer of the Music Player (Remix) app, I update my phone with new test builds several times a night and I've never been asked to re-install a webOS update.

I can assure you the Remix app, or probably any other app, is not causing the issue.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to insinuate that the music player was the problem. Simply stating that it was the only recent update I could think of. Thanks for remixing it!

After skimming the thread, I remember that I added the patch for Smilies for text messages within the last week.
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast