Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The screenshots look nice, but I'm not so sure about biting the bullet on this. Wondering how good of an RSS Reader it is. Personally I like how Feeds works with Google Reader account but the UI has a bit to be desired. Developer's site has no info on the app at all.
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    I'll wait for the reviews before I spend $5.
    I totally feel the same way. Feeds works, but it distorts images and you can't pan through them.

Is it also an RSS reader? There was no mention of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    Anyone pick up NewsRoom
    Picking up a newRoom will be pretty hard.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    Is it also an RSS reader? There was no mention of that.
    Looks to be that way from the screenshots.
    Saw someone listed a website in the reviews section apps4phones.com checking it out now.

http://apps4phones.com/index.php/pal...r_palm_review/

From reading the review doesnt look so good your only allowed 9 feeds?! I will keep using Feeds from homebrew instead.
    Last edited by QuietStorm21A; 10/06/2009 at 12:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietStorm21A View Post
    Saw someone listed a website in the reviews section apps4phones.com checking it out now.
    Yep here is the link for the review: Apps4Phones: "The Power of Many"

Edit: Looks like someone beat me to it lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietStorm21A View Post

Apps4Phones: "The Power of Many"

From reading the review doesnt look so good your only allowed 9 feeds?! I will keep using Feeds from homebrew instead.
    Yea, it seems pretty limited for $5. I rather use google reader or wait until the feeds application from homebrew get's some enhancements.
    I think they should have made that version with 9 feeds only trail version and offer an unlimited version of feeds (like the review stated) as a premium.
    One of the biggest things you will notice with NewsRoom over an RSS reader is that we actually try to fetch complete articles from sites when many feeds just give you teasers in an RSS feed.

Look at CNN.com, People, or TMZ for example and compare with your RSS reader and you will see what I mean.

The 9 feed limit is a pretty arbitrary one at this time just because that is how many fit on a screen. We are certainly looking at expanding that for future updates. Don't forget that by supporting our product now, it encourages us to make it even better with future updates.

Thanks for checking it out.

Eric
    Picking it up tomorrow. Looks interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenbeans View Post
    One of the biggest things you will notice with NewsRoom over an RSS reader is that we actually try to fetch complete articles from sites when many feeds just give you teasers in an RSS feed.

Look at CNN.com, People, or TMZ for example and compare with your RSS reader and you will see what I mean.

The 9 feed limit is a pretty arbitrary one at this time just because that is how many fit on a screen. We are certainly looking at expanding that for future updates. Don't forget that by supporting our product now, it encourages us to make it even better with future updates.

Eric
    Perhaps if you could allow multiple screens which can be swiped from left to right or top to bottom. This would alleviate this major drawback imo. I only say this because I am a user that subscribes to about 20 or so rss feeds. Having only 9 is certainly a dealbreaker for me, however that may not be the case for someone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by orlando_c View Post
    Perhaps if you could allow multiple screens which can be swiped from left to right or top to bottom. This would alleviate this major drawback imo. I only say this because I am a user that subscribes to about 20 or so rss feeds. Having only 9 is certainly a dealbreaker for me, however that may not be the case for someone else.
    I completely agree with this because its the only draw back for me as well i love the interface and would really like to have all my feeds. I am glad though that the app gets the entire article that i didnt know. I will definitly be keeping an eye on your app.
    I was looking at it myself. A nine feed limit is not going to fly for a $5 app. That will work for a trial but not a full fledged app.

The 9 feed limit is a pretty arbitrary one at this time just because that is how many fit on a screen
    Why not implement scrolling?
    I keep thinking I'll find a good newsfeed app, but I still haven't found anything that meets my need better than Keytoss Mobile. (m.keytoss.com)

You pick the feeds, view the top 4-5 stories from each feed, and you can read the entire story using Google Reader, not just one or two sentences.

Sorry...I hope people don't mind me hijacking the thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenbeans View Post

Eric
    Isn't that the point of RSS, though? A tease in to an article to decide if I want to read it or not? You could definitely provide both full articles and vanilla RSS, making your app worth every cent of that $5, and probably more.

The app looks nice and it's great that you're actually responding to feedback about it. For me, though, that 9 feed limit is dealbreaker - for $5 (heck, for any dollar amount) I'd expect unlimited number of feeds.
    All great points! Thanks for the wonderful feedback. If NewsRoom isn't already the best mobile news reader for you, together with your feedback I think we can get it there.

We actually already have a version that supports more than nine feeds and multiple pages of icons (whereby you just swipe left/right to see new pages of sites). We just wanted to tread carefully with system resources for our first version so we can find and fix any issues that might crop up. If the 9 feed limit is what is worrying you, I implore you to jump in and help us make this the best mobile news reader ever. That limit will be a thing of the past just as soon as we can get a new version out.

It's funny that you mention supporting vanilla RSS along with our super-duper article expanding technology. We are planning to support both article versions with a simple gesture to switch between the two. Our take is that what we call the "snippet" view is the "tease" and it's really quick to skim through all the snippets for a site. If you see an article that is interesting, simply tap it and view the whole article right there. No bother with opening browsers, using other apps, etc. In some cases though sites give summaries that are actually useful. We agree it's nice to be able to look at summaries if that is all you are after -- plus it shows how cool our article expander really is. Right now we are having our designer look at the best way to incorporate this new feature in our UI.

We plan to put up a short video soon showing the app in action so people can get a better feel for it and see just why we think it's cool.
    I'll be watching this one and considering it if the 9 feed limit is removed.
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    I'll be watching this one and considering it if the 9 feed limit is removed.
    The 9 feed limit WILL be removed -- and soon, and it will be a free update of course.
    Is it true that if there are, for example, 5 new feeds on a website, and you go there and you only have time to read one, that the Appl will consider all 5 of them read? In other words, if I only read one of the feeds, and then go back to the main section of Newsroom that shows me all the websites and the new feeds indicated by the red dots with a number in it, shouldn't it show me a 4 then indicating that there are still 4 unread feeds available?

Just wondering....

Oh, and once I buy News Room, will all updates be free from here on out, or will you charge again for a major update?
Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast