Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 LastLast
    Will the new version run a little smoother too? I mean the current one is ok, but smoother is always better! Love the program, I use it all the time!
  2.    #162  
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Will the new version run a little smoother too? I mean the current one is ok, but smoother is always better! Love the program, I use it all the time!
    I think he did mention some performance improvements. Personally I've had occasions where the app would freeze up. Palm really needs to streamline the app approval process. This is really frustrating to developers and users.
    ok so i noticed that newsroom craps on different rss encodings.... for example on iso 8859-2 or utf8... this needs to be addressed
    Ya, there are performance improvements as well.

en0x - send me a link for a feed that is giving you trouble and I will look into it.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    I don't understand why you guys have the "checkerboard" background when you switch from the limited view to the full article. I think it would look much cleaner if you went with a plain white background in both places. Also, there is still some tweaking that needs to be done on the server side. On the CNN articles, it still shows the zoom + and - at the top of the full article. Maybe parse that out?
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzun View Post
    I don't understand why you guys have the "checkerboard" background when you switch from the limited view to the full article. I think it would look much cleaner if you went with a plain white background in both places. Also, there is still some tweaking that needs to be done on the server side. On the CNN articles, it still shows the zoom + and - at the top of the full article. Maybe parse that out?
    Thanks for the feedback. Ya, there are always going to be some feeds where some amount of garbage still leaks through, but we are *really* good about extracting articles from web pages automatically. This is something that will never be perfect. It's just not possible to extract every article from 100% of the sites. That said, NewsRoom does a way better job of this than anything I've ever seen that has attempted to take on this very challenging problem.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenbeans View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. Ya, there are always going to be some feeds where some amount of garbage still leaks through, but we are *really* good about extracting articles from web pages automatically. This is something that will never be perfect. It's just not possible to extract every article from 100% of the sites. That said, NewsRoom does a way better job of this than anything I've ever seen that has attempted to take on this very challenging problem.
    I agree...it does a very very good job. I use this app every day and like more and more every day. I prefer to read the articles on my phone now instead of in google reader on my PC!
    Howdy all -

Pre Central rocks, but this thread is getting a little long in the tooth.

We have set up a customer support site with our friends over at Get Satisfaction to help us be even better about listening and interacting with our customers.

At some point (probably soon), I will be abandoning this thread but I will gladly continue this conversation over there. It's also where we will be looking to add to our official list of feature suggestions for NewsRoom updates. So if you want to throw your idea out there to see if ther people vote for it too, pop on over and start a new thread.

Also, if you want to make sure any issues you are encountering with the product are addressed (or see if other's are having it too), you will want to post it over there (don't worry, it's quick and easy).

I know a lot of you don't like having to leave Pre Central, but it's really easy to login (you probably already have a Facebook, Google, Twitter, or other supported login). And you can get notifications when there are updates to threads you care about.

Official Support Page: NewsRoom for Palm

Thanks a bunch, this thread has been very informative and we are thrilled to have all of you who purchased the app as customers. I hope you will join us at our official site to keep this going.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Don't forget that by supporting our product now, it encourages us to make it even better with future updates.
    You could have done as many other have: release this to the hombrew community as a beta. You didn't do that, which meant that the first time most of us got to see this was when you released it to the catalog. At that point, it looks a lot like a demo or a beta.

I know you need money to keep you going. But it would have been better to accept optional donations to get some capital.

Are you really that hard up for money that you need to charge people for what you'd admitted is a beta?
    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    You could have done as many other have: release this to the hombrew community as a beta. You didn't do that, which meant that the first time most of us got to see this was when you released it to the catalog. At that point, it looks a lot like a demo or a beta.

I know you need money to keep you going. But it would have been better to accept optional donations to get some capital.

Are you really that hard up for money that you need to charge people for what you'd admitted is a beta?
    I understand your concern. We feel the product provides significant value in it's current state otherwise we would not have released it. And by judging by a lot of the feedback we've received from happy customers, I still believe that to be true.

That said, we love this product and want to see it redefine how people consume news on the go. For that reason we are committed to making future updates to make it even better. This does not suggest that we think the first release is of low quality. In fact, we've put in significant effort to get to where it is today and are very proud of the result.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    I understand your concern. We feel the product provides significant value in it's current state otherwise we would not have released it. And by judging by a lot of the feedback we've received from happy customers, I still believe that to be true.

That said, we love this product and want to see it redefine how people consume news on the go. For that reason we are committed to making future updates to make it even better. This does not suggest that we think the first release is of low quality. In fact, we've put in significant effort to get to where it is today and are very proud of the result.
    Sure. I was simply reacting to what appeared to be a threat: pay us now for half-done software, or we're not going to be incentivized to finish it.

Say, given that you're working on a better version, any thought of releasing a crippled demo (e.g., one that only does a few feeds). I'm not opposed to paying what is, in the end, a small amount for software. But given that the reviews are so mixed, I think it'd be better if I could evaluate on my own. It's not like your product has consistently high reviews, as some others do.
    Sorry, didn't mean to come off that way. We are 100% behind this product regardless of the early adoption. But it's fair to say if we sold tons more we would have resources to make things better, faster (for example by hiring additional people to help on the product).

Fair enough though. If what we've put out there (NewsRoom for Pre) doesn't convince you it's worth it, that is certainly your decision to make. Your criticism that a free trial would make that easier for you makes a lot of sense though. The recommendation of releasing free trials through homebrew is a good one, and one we will consider for future products on this platform. To be honest, at the time of making this product, we weren't even familiar with that process -- WebOS is a new platform for us as it is for everyone else.

Thanks for the feedback!
    Say, given that you're working on a better version, any thought of releasing a crippled demo (e.g., one that only does a few feeds). I'm not opposed to paying what is, in the end, a small amount for software. But given that the reviews are so mixed, I think it'd be better if I could evaluate on my own. It's not like your product has consistently high reviews, as some others do.
    This is an interesting suggestion and one we have considered. The rub for us is that we have very real per-user costs and having a version out there that is free forever has some implications for us as a business. If we can find out a safe way economically to offer something on a trial basis, we will certainly consider it -- and we've talked quite a bit around that topic.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    This is an interesting suggestion and one we have considered. The rub for us is that we have very real per-user costs and having a version out there that is free forever has some implications for us as a business. If we can find out a safe way economically to offer something on a trial basis, we will certainly consider it -- and we've talked quite a bit around that topic.
    Even time limited would be better.
    Even time limited would be better.
    Yup, agreed. A time limited demo would be good for everyone, especially since we feel the product is awesome and would convert well. We aren't averse to going down this path, in fact we have a time limited demo for Android users.

We've talked about the best way to do this on Palm. Since it is a server supported product doing something like this certainly is a possibility. However, we don't really understand the piracy landscape on the platform yet well enough to put something out there without putting all of our hard work at risk. We also need to get familiarized with how Palm intends to deal with products of this nature.

I imagine at some point in the not too distant future we will have a trial product of sorts for Palm too, but right now we are focusing on just making the product continually better until we determine the best way to move forward on that.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Yup, agreed. A time limited demo would be good for everyone, especially since we feel the product is awesome and would convert well. We aren't averse to going down this path, in fact we have a time limited demo for Android users.

We've talked about the best way to do this on Palm. Since it is a server supported product doing something like this certainly is a possibility. However, we don't really understand the piracy landscape on the platform yet well enough to put something out there without putting all of our hard work at risk. We also need to get familiarized with how Palm intends to deal with products of this nature.

I imagine at some point in the not too distant future we will have a trial product of sorts for Palm too, but right now we are focusing on just making the product continually better until we determine the best way to move forward on that.
    Thanks. It looks like I should wait until you have your next version. Perhaps, then, your ratings will go up.
    Great! Our first update has been sitting in Palm's hands for a while and we are working with them to get it released. As for the reviews, it seems the people that like it, love it. The biggest gripe appears to be folks that want more feeds (fair enough, and coming) or those that feel $5 is too much to pay for a mobile app.

I hope that the Palm App Catalog doesn't turn into the race to the bottom that the Apple Store has become. We've had an iPhone version of NewsRoom mostly complete for some time now, but there is a reason we are working hard on the Palm Pre version instead of getting that released. If the Palm App Catalog goes in that direction, then well, it's unlikely we will want to produce additional content for the platform. I should mention we released NewsRoom on other platforms years ago where it still costs $3/month. It's quite a bit cheaper (and better!) on the Palm, but we hope the ecosystem for WebOS can hang in there to keep motivated developers working hard to produce top notch content for it's customers. I personally think a one time purchase of $5 for this app is a bargain -- and I'm willing to bet there are many others that agree.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    I personally think a one time purchase of $5 for this app is a bargain -- and I'm willing to bet there are many others that agree.
    I agree, but the 9 feed limit screams "demo" so loudly (to me and, by your own admission, to others) that it's hard to take it seriously, y'know.

Once you have more feeds, $5 one-time is a bargain.

Lesson: don't release "demo" features like a 9 feed limit. From the reviews, this seems to main complaint and, well, you should have known better.

As an aside, I'm getting that you're company may really be in financial trouble, which is why some decisions were made. Like I said, if you're looking for capital to finance development, there are other ways to go.
    Hey, if you think it sounds like demo-ware as it is, then don't by it. We certainly aren't going out of business, but thanks for the comments.