Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    Regarding "re-downloading" for those of us that got replacement Pre's, it still does not work and Palm was dumbfounded when I called, even spoke to a higher level tech support who had no clue and put me through a painful process of reboots and partial erases. So basically, I am screwed and cannot use any apps I ALREADY paid for. Anyone else have any luck?
    I just noticed something. I was home at home and in front of my computer all evening and had BGR and Engadget Mobile open the entire time. I double checked the feeds that Newsroom was showing me, and it turned out that it missed quite a few. How come? Does it depend on how BGR and Engadget update their feeds? I know the Precentral feed is always up to date!
    Quote Originally Posted by farfromit11 View Post
    Just picked up the app and I have a quick question.

1) I live in New York City, so I'm getting on the subway frequently. Is there any easy way to save the full stories from my various feeds, so I can read them when I'm underground and don't have cell/data service? For example the Forbes app allows me to press one button and it saves all the stories so I can view them when I don't have service. Does the NewsRoom have a similar feature?

2) Also is there a time stamp on the stories, so I can tell when it was posted?

Thank you!
    Good news.. NewsRoom was designed to work this way. It will update in the background and you should have no problem using it on the subway. As for timestamps, we have that information on the client, but currently it is not shown. Part of the reason is that many RSS publishers do not produce valid timestamps and the results from this can be pretty misleading. This is certainly something we will continue look at though.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGk View Post
    So basically, I am screwed and cannot use any apps I ALREADY paid for. Anyone else have any luck?
    Insanity. We will be raising this issue to our contact at Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    I just noticed something. I was home at home and in front of my computer all evening and had BGR and Engadget Mobile open the entire time. I double checked the feeds that Newsroom was showing me, and it turned out that it missed quite a few. How come? Does it depend on how BGR and Engadget update their feeds? I know the Precentral feed is always up to date!
    Was it just not as current? Or were there articles missing as you skimmed through it?
    Your consistent dedication to helping people on this forum has convinced me to buy your product mrgreenbeans. Thank you very much for the work you do on this platform, and I look forward to future products!
    After a very rough start, I have to say everything is working great!

I have noticed a few formatting issues. And I also found a few articles that did not contain the entire story and you were forces to click on a 'read more' link that brings up the web page of the complete story.

MrGreenBeans, is it OK to post these issues here. I do like doing it on PreCentral.

I am amazed how you managed to get 99% of the formatting of these web pages to look good on the Pre. Heck, you even managed to get the photos that are in these articles. That must have been a challenge!

I have a feeling the article that had the formatting issue, contained a picture that was too large.

Have to run into the city now, so I am actually going to read this mornings articles on the subway!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

After a very rough start, I have to say everything is working great!

I have noticed a few formatting issues. And I also found a few articles that did not contain the entire story and you were forces to click on a 'read more' link that brings up the web page of the complete story.

MrGreenBeans, is it OK to post these issues here. I do like doing it on PreCentral.

I am amazed how you managed to get 99% of the formatting of these web pages to look good on the Pre. Heck, you even managed to get the photos that are in these articles. That must have been a challenge!

I have a feeling the article that had the formatting issue, contained a picture that was too large.

Have to run into the city now, so I am actually going to read this mornings articles on the subway!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenbeans View Post
    Was it just not as current? Or were there articles missing as you skimmed through it?
    Both. I just checked now. BGR was up to date but missing a few articles. Engadget Mobile was 3 stories behind, and then missed quite a few stories in between.
  10.    #150  
    I'll have to check something out but I think NewsRoom might have some memory leak issue. Lately if I leave it open I will often run into the Too Many Cards error.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    I'll have to check something out but I think NewsRoom might have some memory leak issue. Lately if I leave it open I will often run into the Too Many Cards error.
    Do you have issues with Engadget Mobile and BGR not being up to date or missing stories? Not sure if it did it before, but I am definitely noticing it now.
    I've had that problem, deleteing and adding the feed usually fixes the problem for me.

mr green beans - any word on when the next update is going to make it through the app catalog?

thanks
    Cool man...that worked.

Oh, and Mr.greenbeans told me that they are just waiting on Palm.
  14.    #154  
    Do you have issues with Engadget Mobile and BGR not being up to date or missing stories? Not sure if it did it before, but I am definitely noticing it now.
    The first time I downloaded the app yeah it was not getting all articles, but I just did a comparison of Engadget's, and Gizmodo's current RSS feed and my phone and nothing was missed. One article was updated on Gizmodo though that made it seem like it might have missed it.(Dealmodo)

Did another check on io9 and a bunch of articles were missing

Here is the missing io9 articles
    "Is The Large Hadron Collider Being Sabotaged from the Future? [Large Hadron Collider]"
    "Guess That Firefly Reference With Nathan Fillion [Firefly]"
    "Trek DVD Extra: Kirk Apologizes To A Green Woman? [Star Trek]"
    "More Proof That Aliens Want Our Beef [Ufos]"
    "Top 10 Greatest Space Zombies Of All Time! [Top 10]
    "5 Wild Things Clips Take Us Deep Into The Monsters' Child Minds [Where The Wild Things Are]"

I don't sub to BGR.
    Try what I just did, delete the feed and add it again. Fixed my problem for now.
  16.    #156  
    Try what I just did, delete the feed and add it again. Fixed my problem for now.
    Picked up the whole feed. I'll give it a few days to see if it lasts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    Picked up the whole feed. I'll give it a few days to see if it lasts.
    Yeah hope it lasts too. Hope Mrgreen reads this so he's aware of it.
    Cool man...that worked.

Oh, and Mr.greenbeans told me that they are just waiting on Palm.
    yea I fgured I just wasn't sure if palm gives people an estimate
    Sorry all - I've been really busy coding

It is true that we are waiting on Palm to get our update through. They are having some rough spots with their catalog process -- I only imagine it will get better.

As for some articles going missing, things look good on the server to me. I believe there may be a bug in v1.0 of the client that will result in feeds not updating properly. We haven't seen this with the updated client code which involved restructuring a good deal of how feed updates are managed. I really wish this was already in your hands, but soon enough it will be.

As for memory leaks, that may be possible. The new version had to be restructured in how it deals with memory since we removed the 9 feed limit. I can't say it was the cause of your too many cards issue, but it's probably fair to say the memory footprint should go down with the new client.
    Oh man, you mean the new update that is coming out removes the 9 limit, that is fantastic!!! I didn't expect that so soon!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast