Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
    I don't know if you are still up or not. I did attempt to send you two message via email at the address you suggested.

I am trying to be pleasant with you. I want this to work.

Ok, my question, I just rebooted my cable box and my router and I still have Newsroom saying Loading Sites.

I had tried to provide you with details such as I am running Pre 1.2.1

I am using WiFi and I just with switched to Sprint EDVO and I am still getting Loading Sites.

I rebooted the Pre.

I'm not sure what else to try if you are saying the server is up and running now.

I know it's very late now. So I will probably give up on this tonight and take a look in the morning again.

And I did provide you with my personal contact info if that helps.

Have a good night!

Rob

I'm on the East Coast NYC... not sure where you are?
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Robert - I don't see your e-mail to newsroom@trileet.com. I will send you an e-mail directly to help resolve your problem. I think things are working well for most everyone, so I'm sure we can get it sorted out for ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenbeans View Post
    Robert - I don't see your e-mail to newsroom@trileet.com. I will send you an e-mail directly to help resolve your problem. I think things are working well for most everyone, so I'm sure we can get it sorted out for ya!
    Thanks!

I just deleted the app off the Pre and did a reinstall. I wanted to be sure. Maybe a database or something got corrupted.

You didn't get my email.. mmm... I'm going to send out another to test it.

I had sent it from my Pre?

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Ok I did the uninstall and reinstall and so far it's finally working. I'm going to add a few feeds now. But there is still that 9 site limit, so I will be careful not to go over that until you get that fixed.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Ok, added a few feeds, look'n good! Maybe later you can tell me what was going so wrong with my setup. Was it the database?

I'm getting the hang of your UI and it's not that bad after all.

Hopefully, this will put me back on track!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Ok, added a few feeds, look'n good! Maybe later you can tell me what was going so wrong with my setup. Was it the database?

I'm getting the hang of your UI and it's not that bad after all.

Hopefully, this will put me back on track!

Rob
    I'm glad things are working for you. I saw the test email you sent from your other account on your computer. If you could email from there if you have trouble going forward that would be great.
    Well this is the first WebOS app that I've purchased and I have to say it's worth every penny so far. I love the interface, very polished and useful.

A few feature requests that would make this app even more useful for me:
    1) Combine feeds into one meta-feed. The old PalmOS app RescoNews allowed me to create "newspapers" from multiple feeds, which was great because you could, for instance, link multiple Pre-centric RSS feeds and read all the relevant news in one feed.
    2) Sync up with Google Reader. The homebrew app "Feeds" does this, and it's very handy to be able to add feeds from my desktop and have them show up on the Pre.
    3) Obviously the 9 feed limit has to go, but you've already said that's coming in a new update as soon as Palm approves it. Perhaps allow paid customers to download a beta ipk or even open up beta testing to EVERYONE as a form of "try-before-you-buy" with a week time limit. It seems like the feeds are converted at a webserver before being pushed to the Pre so you wouldn't have to worry about pirates removing the timelimit if it's enforced at the server level.

Other than that I'd have to say I've VERY pleased with my first purchase. Thanks for developing for WebOS and I look forward to any other apps you guys may be coming out with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leathal View Post
    Well this is the first WebOS app that I've purchased and I have to say it's worth every penny so far. I love the interface, very polished and useful.
    Leathal -

Thanks for the feedback, those are some good suggestions. We've got a pretty full plate now with all the feedback coming in, but we will make sure your suggestions are added to the list for consideration. I'm thrilled you are liking NewsRoom.
    mrgreenbeans, I just wanted to echo the thought that you being so responsive to the community was a large part in pushing me to buy the app. Looks pretty good so far. Once I play with it a little more, I will put a review in the App catalog.
    Well, its not just important for us to be responsive in forums like this, but to continue to improve the product and work through any issues you might find. This is a first effort, and admittedly it's not perfect, but I think we aren't far away from a truly awesome product. Make sure to come contribute on our blog and help us get there: http://feedmonger.trileet.com
    UPDATED 10/11/09!
    I originally wrote a rather harsh review on this product. I am retracting that review.

The reason: Timing! It seems the majority of the issue when I download the app, was due to unfortunate timing where the server that is required was down for maintenance in the wee hours of the morning.

Working with the developer, we straightened out some problems and now I'm in working order.

My opinion now, this is an app that I was waiting for, since a similar service by Avantgo pulled out about 6 months ago.

How this works is important because the UI is a little different from what I think most are used to.

The first page is the feed/sites that you are interested in.

Tap a feed and you are brought to window that contains the regular RSS feed descriptions, swipe sideways to see all the story listings. When you see a story you are interested in swipe up to get to the full story, if a story is longer than one screen full, keep swiping up.

There is a bar, that you can swipe up on that will bring you back to the main page of the site listings.

Hit the plus sign to add feeds/sites. You can pick from a few examples, or do a search, or even and this is the best, enter your own url that the search was unable to find. Just make sure it's a valid site.

The formatting of the stories is pretty impressive.

He said he will be adding features to make the product better.

I do think there still needs to be some tweaking with the UI, example: when notifications happen, you cannot get the bar that bring you to the home page. You have to fiddle with swiping up to get it to move into view. So I would like the app to auto adjust when notification alerts happen.

But in total, this a wonderful and much needed addition to the WebOS and the Pre in the App Catalog.

Is it worth the money, yes, one has to understand that this app requires a server to grab and format the data to be able to deliver to the phone. And in reality a onetime charge of $5 is not what is paying to keep that expensive service running. But the developer tells me there is a financial plan in place to keep it running. Which is a very good thing, since I will become dependent on using the app and its service.

Rob
    Last edited by rlanza1054; 10/11/2009 at 03:44 PM. Reason: spelling
    What about sites that require a login to view the full article?
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Being a news junkie for sure but never have used a feeder I guess within minutes here I'll plunk down the $5 and see why most of you are so happy with this app and not take my 11 year old to McDonalds this afternoon.

G..
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Well this didn't go well. I paid my $5 and then it took me back to the screen which started to show something but then went blue. How do I get my app that I paid for since it now wants another $5. Not going to happen obviously. I'm heading for my profile to stop the credit card payment unless I hear from someone who happens to know quickly here.

Thanks... G..
  15.    #135  
    Quote Originally Posted by Guvner View Post
    Well this didn't go well. I paid my $5 and then it took me back to the screen which started to show something but then went blue. How do I get my app that I paid for since it now wants another $5. Not going to happen obviously. I'm heading for my profile to stop the credit card payment unless I hear from someone who happens to know quickly here.

Thanks... G..
    I had some problems with App Catalog on my first purchase, I tried to buy and it just locked up and didn't do anything. When you clicked to buy it did you log in? If you didn't log it Palm probably won't charge your account, if you did, and receive a receipt in about 5 to 10 mins via email, it would be a good time to call up Palm to have this fixed.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    I logged in but never received an email about my purchase and I did direct the emails to be sent to an email that I use a lot and I got a notification that my profile had been changed. Didn't ask for that but oh well... Talked to Sprint and Palm and no one has an idea what is going on. Sprint assured me to go ahead and purchase it again and there won't be any duplicate charges but now the App store server is down according to my phone...

G..
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Finally bought it when server worked and got one bill for the Newsroom software. No extra bill. I have an extra question for you Homebrew users. I have never signed on to my back up Pre account yet. Should I and will that back up my HomeBrew apps as well as my contacts without messing up everything?

Thanks... G..
  18.    #138  
    Quote Originally Posted by Guvner View Post
    Finally bought it when server worked and got one bill for the Newsroom software. No extra bill. I have an extra question for you Homebrew users. I have never signed on to my back up Pre account yet. Should I and will that back up my HomeBrew apps as well as my contacts without messing up everything?

Thanks... G..
    It is my understanding that Homebrew apps will not be backed up, and any contacts associated with the Palm Profle itself, not Google Contacts or Exchange, could be lost.
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    What about sites that require a login to view the full article?
    Sivan - It really depends on the site. I know for example it does a great job with the NY Times which is notorious for requiring registration.

Did you have a site in mind? I can check it out for you.
    Just picked up the app and I have a quick question.

1) I live in New York City, so I'm getting on the subway frequently. Is there any easy way to save the full stories from my various feeds, so I can read them when I'm underground and don't have cell/data service? For example the Forbes app allows me to press one button and it saves all the stories so I can view them when I don't have service. Does the NewsRoom have a similar feature?

2) Also is there a time stamp on the stories, so I can tell when it was posted?

Thank you!
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast