Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    How do the notifications work? Does the App have to run as an open card all the time for them to pop up? Also, when they come in, will they act like an incoming email or like an incoming text message?
    The notifications are pretty simple right now. Assuming the app is running, it will update itself every 30 minutes in the background. When new content arrives, a notification is shown (for at most one feed that has new content). This is only useful if you are actively using your phone when it comes in since the notifications are currently not persistent. We don't want to bombard you with notifications -- our plan is to offer per-feed persistent notification settings. This would let you get a sticky notification for say your friend's blog, but not one for every time Gizmodo posts throughout the day.
    Just a reminder for those that are just joining us, NewsRoom for Palm Pre has more details. You can also give us feedback and talk about what's up for the next update at The Newsroom Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewPre View Post
    QuietStorm, are you on the UNSC? Can you tell me what Kofi Anan is like??? hehehe Look at me the political groupie! HA!
    LOL no its actually From video game HALO. No relation to the UN or Kofi lol
    I love this app

i got one question will I be able to read all of the news where I dont have coverage or wifi? does it store the news somewhere in database file on my pre?
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    ok I used it this morning, great UI, worked great on the subway. It IS laggy at times, and I don't like having to use the back gesture to get back to the article previews after reading a full article. I think the ability to swipe left or right to view the next "full" article would be nice (similar to how we swipe the article previews).
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenbeans View Post
    The notifications are pretty simple right now. Assuming the app is running, it will update itself every 30 minutes in the background. When new content arrives, a notification is shown (for at most one feed that has new content). This is only useful if you are actively using your phone when it comes in since the notifications are currently not persistent. We don't want to bombard you with notifications -- our plan is to offer per-feed persistent notification settings. This would let you get a sticky notification for say your friend's blog, but not one for every time Gizmodo posts throughout the day.
    Sweet, the persistent per feed notifications would be great, as long as they are categorized like an email notification by the Pre, not like a text message notification. Precentral would probably be my only one...lol.

I just ran into a bit of a problem a while ago. I was reading a Reuters article on NewsRoom about Obama getting the Nobel Peace price, and when I came to the bottom of the page there was blue link "Continued.." on which I clicked hoping I could read the rest of the story, but other than turning red, nothing happened. At the bottom of the page it said "View article on single page" also in blue, and when I tap on it, it also only turns red for a split second but nothing happens. Hmm...so if I wanted to read the rest of the article, what would I click on?
    Quote Originally Posted by en0x View Post
    I love this app
    i got one question will I be able to read all of the news where I dont have coverage or wifi? does it store the news somewhere in database file on my pre?
    Yep. The app is designed to allow you to read articles that were fetched when you had a connection when you no longer do. Great for catching up on the subway, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGk View Post
    ok I used it this morning, great UI, worked great on the subway. It IS laggy at times, and I don't like having to use the back gesture to get back to the article previews after reading a full article. I think the ability to swipe left or right to view the next "full" article would be nice (similar to how we swipe the article previews).
    The update coming your way should go a long way to making the app faster. As for switching from within the article view, this is a suggestion that has come up a few times now. It's something we will consider adding. Thanks!
    I just ran into a bit of a problem a while ago. I was reading a Reuters article on NewsRoom about Obama getting the Nobel Peace price, and when I came to the bottom of the page there was blue link "Continued.."
    Which feed did you run into this on? There are some cases where our fancy article-expander algorithm just isn't going to be able to grab everything for you. Those links are supposed to work though (though they will require a network connection as you might have guessed). I'm guessing the problem you are seeing is because the links themselves are relative so the phone doesn't know where to take you when you click on it. This is something we can address on the server side by forcing all links to be absolute before it gets sent to your phone.

Good catch! I imagine we will get that fixed on the server today.
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    almost forgot...I don't expect this is possible, but...any way to provide updates without having to go through the app catalog (maybe some type of verification code can be used that I've seen with some homebrew apps? I ask this because when you release an update I will have to erase half of my apps to install bc Palm hasn't fixed the app limit yet. Wishful thinking...
    I would imagine that it would update in place? We don't have any experience with updating apps for the Pre, but we will find the right way to do it. We haven't messed much with the homebrew stuff. That sounds intriguing though, we will have to check that out.

Ya, Palm has a way to go in how they manage their App Catalog. I'm really shocked they actually bring it down when adding new content -- I imagine they take it down for other reasons since it just seems too broken of a way to do things.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenbeans View Post
    Which feed did you run into this on? There are some cases where our fancy article-expander algorithm just isn't going to be able to grab everything for you. Those links are supposed to work though (though they will require a network connection as you might have guessed). I'm guessing the problem you are seeing is because the links themselves are relative so the phone doesn't know where to take you when you click on it. This is something we can address on the server side by forcing all links to be absolute before it gets sent to your phone.

Good catch! I imagine we will get that fixed on the server today.
    It was "Reuters: Top News"

I can't decided on one single great news feed!
    It was "Reuters: Top News"

I can't decided on one single great news feed!
    We'll check it out. I'm a big fan of Yahoo Top Stories and BBC World myself. Once you get the update, you won't have to limit yourself in that way
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    just want to say great job again. I will be deleting AP mobile and NYTimes app from my Pre, as they told me offline viewing would be a nice feature but never released updates. Does anyone else agree Newsroom would be nicer if the preview page was scrollable (full article), rather than having a new window for the full article?
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Picked it up since it looks like the company is dedicated to this product and making it the best it can be. Really is quite a dynamic change compared to my normal RSS reading. I like it. Works pretty well for sites like ain't it cool and the onion, where they only give you the headline and require you to click through to their site for the rest of the articles. The majority of the time, this app pulls down the data, although sometimes it doesn't. I think this is a great start and I'm looking forward to the future.

I don't like the idea of not syncing with google reader, but I understand that it's a different concept.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    After a bathroom trip...here are my thoughts/suggestions:

1) Add a star button to save an article as a favorite. Have a specific Favorites icon that you can scroll through your favorite articles.

2) Ability to search through saved and new articles

3) Post to facebook/twitter using API's

4) Add likes. Since there is a backend server, you can keep track of all the likes and maybe offer an aggregate list of the most liked articles over the past 24 hours/week/month.

5) Preference to allow you to change how many articles get cached. Also, if you're online, you should be able to keep going to the right for new articles as far back as possible.

Anyway, keep up the good work! I think the biggest issues right now are lag and the feed limit.
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Love the app, especially the interface.

I have a question though: I have a blog and am trying to get the full sized icon to show up for the feed. Right now it's just a buddy icon. How do I do this? I tried adding the following line in my site's header:

<link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="http://myblog.com/iphone.png" />

But the application doesn't seem to use "iphone.png", still just the buddy icon.

edit: I changed the name of the "iphone.png" to "apple-touch-icon.png", maybe that will do it.
    Last edited by cfbauer; 10/09/2009 at 06:42 PM.
    jayzun -

Good points, thanks for the suggestions!

The feed limit add performance are both addressed in the first update. After that, we've got a pretty good list of things to make the product even better (twitter and facebook sharing among them). We'll add these to the list for consideration.
    Quote Originally Posted by cfbauer View Post
    Love the app, especially the interface.

I have a question though: I have a blog and am trying to get the full sized icon to show up for the feed. Right now it's just a buddy icon. How do I do this? I tried adding the following line in my site's header:

<link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="http://myblog.com/iphone.png" />

But the application doesn't seem to use "iphone.png", still just the buddy icon.

edit: I changed the name of the "iphone.png" to "apple-touch-icon.png", maybe that will do it.
    This looks correct. Perhaps there is something wrong with the image itself? Or maybe your feed doesn't give the proper cue back to the site that holds the icon. If you PM me the url for the site, I'll let you know what's up.
    Another thing I noticed. On the Precentral feed, even if I read each and every article in that feed, when a new article comes up, it will show a 10 again eventhough only one is new. No biggie, I am just a stickler for accuracy.
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast