Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    http://m.google.com/reader <---- works great on the Pre
    news rooms two biggest flaws re notifications and lag. Notifications which they claim is implemented but I never see, need to be improved and customizable. I should be able to say if I want notifications per feed and or per story. The second thing is LAG. The interface is extremely laggy and slow. I really hope the developer is working on this (he told me they were). Other than that I do believe it is the best news feed app to date. Simple ones will do but once this app has robust notifications and no lag I think it will be a no brainer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel0418 View Post
    news rooms two biggest flaws re notifications and lag. Notifications which they claim is implemented but I never see, need to be improved and customizable. I should be able to say if I want notifications per feed and or per story. The second thing is LAG. The interface is extremely laggy and slow. I really hope the developer is working on this (he told me they were). Other than that I do believe it is the best news feed app to date. Simple ones will do but once this app has robust notifications and no lag I think it will be a no brainer.
    Thanks for the kind words Daniel. You are spot on. Those are two things you should expect in the next update. We won't be happy until it is silky smooth. This is one of the reasons we limited it to 9 feeds for our first version. We wanted to garner some feedback to help us make it truly awesome. And we feel all of you are helping us do just that.

For the record, it's not laggy all the time. There are certain conditions we are aware of that make it chunky on the Pre and I agree it sucks a lot of the joy that NewsRoom brings away. Don't worry, we are experts at this sort of thing and it will be like butter before we are done with it.

Come on over to The Newsroom Blog and join the conversation.
    After using this app for a day i am very impressed. I havent seen any lag yet. Did get one glitch (but i couldnt recreate it) where i would tap on an icon and nothing happened except for the icon animation before going to article. Other than that been using the app all day and it does it purpose and then some. One suggestion would be to enable to copy and paste from the full article veiw there are some parts i would like to email rather then the full article link. Thank you again for great app.
    My concern is the server end. I know you're making fixes on the server end to improve things, so that's not it.

It seems like a single point of failure to me. Do all the feeds come through your server before hitting the app? Is the server side needed to use the app?

I'd hate to fall in love with it, only to find out you've become so successful that the server slows to a crawl or the opposite and it's shut down for good.

BTW, tried to comment on your blog page but honestly I don't want to sign up for yet another random social networking account...
    Quote Originally Posted by insane42 View Post
    My concern is the server end. I know you're making fixes on the server end to improve things, so that's not it.

It seems like a single point of failure to me. Do all the feeds come through your server before hitting the app? Is the server side needed to use the app?

I'd hate to fall in love with it, only to find out you've become so successful that the server slows to a crawl or the opposite and it's shut down for good.
    I totally understand your worry here, I've had those about other products in the past. It should help ease your worries that we have been writing and supporting server based mobile apps for over 5 years and they are still rolling along. As for scalability, the server is hosted using Amazon EC2 and backed by S3 and SDB which means it has virtually unlimited scaling. It also allows us to do load balancing and have redundancy so you don't have to worry too much about a single point of failure. It's possible that we will have failures (it is software after all), but we are server engineers first and have measures in place to deal with them should they ever occur.

As far as performance is concerned, we won't let the server become a bottleneck. We built this thing with plans for it to become wildly successful, so we are ready for that. If it doesn't take off, we plan to (and can afford to) stand by the product too. We know what it means to have paying customers. Trileet has a long history of them

The server is a critical component to this product. Here are a couple examples of how we leverage our server back-end to make it better than your standard RSS setup.

1) Only the changes in each feed are sent to your phone and they are highly compressed to optimize for the high-latency nature of cell phone traffic.

2) It pre-processes the feed and allows us to do some really cool stuff that would be hugely inefficient on the client. For example, we fetch large images with our lightning fast interwebz, determine the most interesting part of that image using things like facial recognition, crop it down for the appropriate screen size and push it through our highly optimized payload to the client.

3) We turn crummy feeds into awesome feeds. Look at things like the New York Times, TMZ, People, CNN, and many others. I'm not sure what the number is but I'm guessing more than half of the feeds the server encounters have additional content added to them using our fancy content extraction algorithms.

If not for the server, you might as well use a typical RSS reader. There are tons of them out there, and some are good at what they do, but they are, well, different. And none of them have ever felt good enough for what we wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by insane42 View Post
    BTW, tried to comment on your blog page but honestly I don't want to sign up for yet another random social networking account...
    C'mon man, who doesn't have a Blogger or Google login these days?! That's hardly random

In all seriousness though, that's a good question -- and one I like cause we've got really good answers for it Sorry for the novel.
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    MRGREENBEANS, I am purchasing now. Can you look into providing functionality that lets the user set a time to download articles automatically? For example, I would download all my articles (update feeds) every morning at 6am, so I can take it with me and read them offline in the subway. This will also save battery life because you can download articles while the Pre is charging and read offline later in the day. Hope to see this option one day.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGk View Post
    MRGREENBEANS, I am purchasing now. Can you look into providing functionality that lets the user set a time to download articles automatically? For example, I would download all my articles (update feeds) every morning at 6am, so I can take it with me and read them offline in the subway. This will also save battery life because you can download articles while the Pre is charging and read offline later in the day. Hope to see this option one day.
    Since the app updates itself every 30m in the background (we do this in a way that is gentle for your battery, check our blog for more details), subway reading should work well for you. One thing to be aware of is that in the article view, there are often images and such that are pulled in on demand, so you won't be able to load those. However, you should be able to skim all of your sites without a network connection.
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenbeans View Post
    Since the app updates itself every 30m in the background (we do this in a way that is gentle for your battery, check our blog for more details), subway reading should work well for you. One thing to be aware of is that in the article view, there are often images and such that are pulled in on demand, so you won't be able to load those. However, you should be able to skim all of your sites without a network connection.
    Great! That was my biggest problem with NY times and AP mobile, I still had to buy a newspaper everyday because they are useless in the subway. I just purchased it and I'm about to try it.
    Howdy all, we've put up a video that will let you see the app in action. Check it out at NewsRoom for Palm Pre.

Hopefully this will help you all get a better idea of what the app does before you choose to support us with your hard-earned money
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenbeans View Post
    Howdy all, we've put up a video that will let you see the app in action. Check it out at NewsRoom for Palm Pre.

Hopefully this will help you all get a better idea of what the app does before you choose to support us with your hard-earned money
    I love it and i also see the limit has been removed in video. Great work! I am recommending this app to alot of my friend pre owners. Thank you again.
    Well, I watched the video, and I am pretty sold on it. It's 9:30 PM eastern on a thursday, and the App Catalog is down....go figure!
    Looks like the App Catalog was down for yet another one of those comparison picture games but, after that exciting addition to the catalog I was finally able to buy News Room. What a great App...such a time saver! Totally love it!

The video shows that you can go to Page 2 for more feeds, but obviously that hasn't been implented into the App yet. Also, in the link to the video, the screenshot shows a notification for new feeds at the bottom, that also hasn't been implemented yet.

It runs fairly smooth, but yeah, there is some lag but it's not too bad. Once the new features are implemented and speed is improved, it will be even more of a joy to use!

Is there a way that feeds that have links to youtube videos can be made to have a link that will start the Pres YouTube app? That would be awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    The video shows that you can go to Page 2 for more feeds, but obviously that hasn't been implented into the App yet. Also, in the link to the video, the screenshot shows a notification for new feeds at the bottom, that also hasn't been implemented yet.
    Actually, the notifications are in there -- but we do have plans to make them more robust in later updates. Ya, we shot the video with the version you guys will be getting next. It has lots of performance improvements and will allow more than one page of feeds as promised.

Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Is there a way that feeds that have links to youtube videos can be made to have a link that will start the Pres YouTube app? That would be awesome!
    This is something we should definitely look into, thanks for the suggestion.
    Thanks for all the kind words folks. If you think we deserve it, it would be a huge help if you gave us props in a review in the App Catalog so we can get the word out (if you haven't yet already).
    How do the notifications work? Does the App have to run as an open card all the time for them to pop up? Also, when they come in, will they act like an incoming email or like an incoming text message? Since we are limited to just one notification sound with the Pre, I have my emails set to just vibrate upon arrival and leave the sound for only text messages. I would like to keep it that way. So I would prefer if the notification from NewsRoom would act like an email so I don't think I get a text message every time a new feed pops up.

Thanks, and once again...great program!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    QuietStorm, are you on the UNSC? Can you tell me what Kofi Anan is like??? hehehe Look at me the political groupie! HA!
    Downloaded it tonight, love it so far. But either I'm missing it, or it's late -- but I set up a 'bookmark' and now I want to get rid of it -- how?
    Just got it after watching the vid and I am definitely liking it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mandystreasures View Post
    Downloaded it tonight, love it so far. But either I'm missing it, or it's late -- but I set up a 'bookmark' and now I want to get rid of it -- how?
    Click on NewsRoom in the top left corner to get the pull down menu, the click on "Site Remove" that will bring up a list of all the sites you have "bookmarked". Click on the one you want to get rid off, and that's it!
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast