Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 265
  1. #21  
    Manny -

    Each badge on the feed is specific to that feed. If you add a feed for say CNN and another for Pre Central they will have their own unread badge count. However, when you go to view each icon, the unread badge for that feed only will disappear until the next update.

    We really didn't want to get in the same old mode of "marking unread" like typical RSS readers. We don't want you to feel like you need to manage newsroom, but instead we will try to keep things tidy for you. We figured most people aren't interested in reading every single article, nor would they want to have ever increasing unread counts they need to stay on top of.

    That said, we hear you. This is something we've discussed at length and are open to suggestions to make the experience better.

    And yes, by purchasing NewsRoom you are supporting future development and it will include free updates.

    Hope this helps!

    Eric
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenbeans View Post
    Manny -

    Each badge on the feed is specific to that feed. If you add a feed for say CNN and another for Pre Central they will have their own unread badge count. However, when you go to view each icon, the unread badge for that feed only will disappear until the next update.

    We really didn't want to get in the same old mode of "marking unread" like typical RSS readers. We don't want you to feel like you need to manage newsroom, but instead we will try to keep things tidy for you. We figured most people aren't interested in reading every single article, nor would they want to have ever increasing unread counts they need to stay on top of.

    That said, we hear you. This is something we've discussed at length and are open to suggestions to make the experience better.

    And yes, by purchasing NewsRoom you are supporting future development and it will include free updates.

    Hope this helps!

    Eric
    I think it's great that developers hang out here and listen to our complaints and suggestions. Truth be told, I haven't purchased your App yet but read the review to which a link was posted a little earlier in this thread. That reviewer complained about it, and as I was writing my last post, I thought to myself,....hm, I rather have it the way you guys did it because I know what a pest it can be managing all my email, having to click on every single one just so I know I went through all of them.

    I am definitely intersted in your app, and seeing a video of it in action will probably make me drop 5 bucks for it. Any ETA on a video?

    Thanks!
  3. Alundre's Avatar
    Posts
    110 Posts
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    #23  
    I purchased this app last night and I really like the app. My only 2 suggestions (besides the 9 feed limit) would be....

    1. Background updating. If I leave the card open and come back to look at it an hour or two later, it would be nice if it updated itself so I don't have to manually update it. Would be even better if I could configure how often it checks for updates...especially if I could do it per feed so the feeds I want to read more often are more quickly updated than the feeds I only read once a day.

    2. Allow the user to set notifications on any feeds of interest. There are a few feeds that I would like to be notified that there is a new story (where #1 is required) and a quick notification would do the trick. With that being said though, it would need to be on a per-feed basis because I have a lot of feeds that I wouldn't want to get notified about.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenbeans View Post
    One of the biggest things you will notice with NewsRoom over an RSS reader is that we actually try to fetch complete articles from sites when many feeds just give you teasers in an RSS feed.

    Look at CNN.com, People, or TMZ for example and compare with your RSS reader and you will see what I mean.

    The 9 feed limit is a pretty arbitrary one at this time just because that is how many fit on a screen. We are certainly looking at expanding that for future updates. Don't forget that by supporting our product now, it encourages us to make it even better with future updates.

    Thanks for checking it out.

    Eric
    I appreciate you taking the time out and voicing your thoughts on your app. I started this thread partly because your app didn't provide enough information and enough screenshots on usage also the site you listed for Developer and Support had no info on the app. I hope you plan on making a section of your site devoted to the app and go into more detail on it.

    As others I find the 9 feed feature a severe limitation and sounds like it would've been a good idea to use that copy as a trial version for people to try out. I'm glad to hear that you are planning to expand the application more, but again would like some site for information on changes or updates as well as to make it easier to you, somewhere to provide direct feedback on the application.

    Might I also suggest the ability to import a list of feeds in OPML format, so people might be able to export their Google Reader list. There is an app in beta in the homebrew section that actually uses Google Reader directly which is what I like, but if you wish to stay independent of Google Reader, I understand. I personally have no problem with the idea of transitioning away from Google Reader as long as I can take my list of feeds with me. I have several Gmail accounts and personally haven't logged in via PC in months because of the Pre.

    Also providing more feeds could create a little bit of a mess to users. It would be nice if you could possible categorize the feeds. Also the ability to favorite articles would be nice to have. As one might have an article they want to pass on to a friend.

    I look forward to the future development of this app and hope to see the improvements you continue to mention.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by alundre View Post
    1. Background updating. If I leave the card open and come back to look at it an hour or two later, it would be nice if it updated itself so I don't have to manually update it.
    The app should be updating in the background every 30 minutes. We will look into this further to make sure it is working properly. A user configurable setting here is probably a good idea. Thanks for the feedback.

    Quote Originally Posted by alundre View Post
    2. Allow the user to set notifications on any feeds of interest. There are a few feeds that I would like to be notified that there is a new story (where #1 is required) and a quick notification would do the trick. With that being said though, it would need to be on a per-feed basis because I have a lot of feeds that I wouldn't want to get notified about.
    Per-feed notifications is something we've tossed around a bit. I think it could be a cool feature. I agree this must be per-feed since we don't want to deluge you with updates for all the blog posts out there you might be casually following.

    As always, thanks a bunch for the feedback, this particular feature is definitely on our radar.

    Eric
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    I'm glad to hear that you are planning to expand the application more, but again would like some site for information on changes or updates as well as to make it easier to you, somewhere to provide direct feedback on the application.
    The NewsRoom blog would be the right place for this. This blog is in the featured list in the app itself so you can easily keep tabs on what we are up to with the product. It's also linked off the company website. I would post it here, but since I'm a new user here the forum software won't let me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    Might I also suggest the ability to import a list of feeds in OPML format
    This is something we've discussed a bit. We've kinda steered away from the typical RSS reader feature set because we want to be much more than that. Supporting OPML has implications that would tend to steer us away from our current UI. That said, we do want to make it as easy as possible to move away from whatever reader you might use today. I think our integrated search and feature list certainly helps in this respect, but this is something we can revisit after we relax the 9 feed limit everyone is so worked up about

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    Also providing more feeds could create a little bit of a mess to users. It would be nice if you could possible categorize the feeds. Also the ability to favorite articles would be nice to have. As one might have an article they want to pass on to a friend.
    On the full article view there is an button that let's you share the article with a friend. Categories is a great suggestion. That is one thing we agree is something we need to address in one fashion or another. We are deliberating the best way to implement something like this and are certainly open to suggestions.

    Eric
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenbeans View Post
    The NewsRoom blog would be the right place for this. This blog is in the featured list in the app itself so you can easily keep tabs on what we are up to with the product. It's also linked off the company website. I would post it here, but since I'm a new user here the forum software won't let me.
    As of last night Trileet, Inc | Sidekick and iPhone Games and Applications had no mention of Palm Pre and I actually tried checking the "blog" section on that site and also had no information. I see now it's updated with information about your Palm Pre app. And to help you out I assume you mean this blog The Newsroom Blog I will be keeping an eye on it. When I was looking for a support site, I was looking for something a little more complex. Hoping at least for better description pages like the ones you have set up for your iPhone and Sidekick apps. I think one of the best developers for WebOS, Pivotal Labs, has the most comprehensive site devoted to their app, Tweed. Located here. Tweed by Pivotal Labs Which offers; written features, updates, screenshots, a screencast, and a blog as well for any new information on the development. Obviously I don't expect you to do the same, but basically just an example to give you some ideas.


    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenbeans View Post
    This is something we've discussed a bit. We've kinda steered away from the typical RSS reader feature set because we want to be much more than that. Supporting OPML has implications that would tend to steer us away from our current UI. That said, we do want to make it as easy as possible to move away from whatever reader you might use today. I think our integrated search and feature list certainly helps in this respect, but this is something we can revisit after we relax the 9 feed limit everyone is so worked up about
    I see, I understand that perhaps you don't want to be labeled as an RSS reader but more of a full featured news app. As some people in this thread mentioned they didn't realize your app would even be able to do RSS. I just made an assumption as an RSS subscriber to some of the news sources your screenshots provided. But I also subscribe to a few more obscure things so I hope those might be supported via your search or otherwise. Is the database of your sources available in search public or private? I'm kinda of curious what might be available to me and if and how new sources will be added to it.


    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenbeans View Post
    On the full article view there is an button that let's you share the article with a friend. Categories is a great suggestion. That is one thing we agree is something we need to address in one fashion or another. We are deliberating the best way to implement something like this and are certainly open to suggestions.

    Eric
    In regards to categories I was thinking something where a user could create categories in settings and have some sort of drop-down box to filter to the right category.
  8. #28  
    Thanks for the note Kyusaku.. we are admittedly behind the ball a bit on our marketing for this product. We've just been so buried in trying to make the product better with hopes it would do a good job of speaking for iteself. We will get the marketing stuff up soon enough and plan to do a video here shortly to help sell folks on the concept.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    I also subscribe to a few more obscure things so I hope those might be supported via your search or otherwise. Is the database of your sources available in search public or private? I'm kinda of curious what might be available to me and if and how new sources will be added to it.
    You can add those obscure sites by entering their URL if they don't show up in the search.
  10. diomark's Avatar
    Posts
    752 Posts
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    #30  
    I'm buying this app only because the developer is being so responsive here. (Feeds does 99% of what I need though..)

    -mark
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    I am definitely intersted in your app, and seeing a video of it in action will probably make me drop 5 bucks for it. Any ETA on a video?

    Thanks!

    Manny - we will try to get something up today, but we are trying to support all of our new Pre users to make sure the experience is going well for them. You can certainly expect something up before the end of the week at the latest.

    Eric
  12. diomark's Avatar
    Posts
    752 Posts
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    I'm buying this app only because the developer is being so responsive here. (Feeds does 99% of what I need though..)

    -mark

    I just bought it, and I like it overall.. it can be slightly laggy (I'm assuming they're still tweaking it..) - but overall a pretty good experience.. I *really* like the fact that you can swipe down to read the whole article (instead of having to click a link to go to a website, then zoom into the correct place in the article which I'm having to do now w/ other rss solutions..). Also it makes searching for podcasts a breeze! I was able to setup my favorite ~6-7 feeds in less then a minute..

    if it's really saving the entire article for offline use, then that's awesome.. question though when does it update, when I open the app?

    Overall in it's current form, 4 stars.. (would have been 3.5 stars, but I really like the fact that the developer is as responsive as he is..) - I would like to have the option to show headers though instead of having to swipe left/right to see the next articles.. It did confuse the images in some articles though (i.e. - added sfgate - and it's using the same image for every article for that one..)

    It's worth $5.

    -mark
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    I'm buying this app only because the developer is being so responsive here. (Feeds does 99% of what I need though..)

    -mark
    Just bought it right now because of this, and already not regretting it. Really like the interface with previewing an article. That's one of the things that bothered me with Feeds, it uses a list view initially. And the article data is integrated very well into the app.

    I think communication is an important aspect with developers. Pivotal Labs was always great with this since their launch of Tweed, which is why I keep them in high regard. I'm very excited to see the future development of this application.

    @mrgreenbeans

    Any chance to add an SMS option to link an article to a friend. Not all my friends have or use email.
  14. #34  
    Wow I am very impressed by the developer and the answers he has been giving about some off the issues we have. As like everyone else here I am also going to support and buy this app. I can't wait for the reader limit to expand and to see this app grow. Thank you @mrgreenbeans for all your support and dedication to us the customers!
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    It did confuse the images in some articles though (i.e. - added sfgate - and it's using the same image for every article for that one..)

    It's worth $5.
    -mark
    Mark -

    There are some cases where the wrong image will be pulled for an article (but only when the source itself does not provide us with one). I just pushed a change to our server code to be more careful how it determines the image for an article.

    As for the SFGate feed in question you will find that the problem lies within their feed. They actually use the exact same link for each article in their feed which leaves us with little recourse. We try to improve bad feeds the best we can, but sometimes, it really is just going to be garbage in, garbage out.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietStorm21A View Post
    Wow I am very impressed by the developer and the answers he has been giving about some off the issues we have. As like everyone else here I am also going to support and buy this app. I can't wait for the reader limit to expand and to see this app grow. Thank you @mrgreenbeans for all your support and dedication to us the customers!
    Thanks a ton for your support. Hopefully Palm will let us get this update through the catalog process quickly. Also I should mention that we are taking a hard look at possible performance improvements in the next update. Usually things can be a little sluggish the first time you load an image-heavy feed, but we should be able to make that experience better for you.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Is it true that if there are, for example, 5 new feeds on a website, and you go there and you only have time to read one, that the Appl will consider all 5 of them read? In other words, if I only read one of the feeds, and then go back to the main section of Newsroom that shows me all the websites and the new feeds indicated by the red dots with a number in it, shouldn't it show me a 4 then indicating that there are still 4 unread feeds available?

    mrgreenbeans, it's great to see you in here responding to everyone's questions. I'm wondering if you can comment on the above - I really like the UI and I know you're not trying to be just another feed reader, but it's a little tricky to keep track of what I've actually read and what I started to read but then got distracted and wandered off. Any plans to change this behavior, or is this a feature and not a bug?
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobraextreme View Post
    mrgreenbeans, it's great to see you in here responding to everyone's questions. I'm wondering if you can comment on the above - I really like the UI and I know you're not trying to be just another feed reader, but it's a little tricky to keep track of what I've actually read and what I started to read but then got distracted and wandered off. Any plans to change this behavior, or is this a feature and not a bug?
    Well it's currently designed that way on purpose since we didn't want to burden people with managing unread counts like typical RSS readers seem to do. But your point is well taken. We've talked a bit about having some other visual cue in the snippet cards to show the difference in case you leave and come back -- but if we do that it will certainly be subtle because we don't want people to feel like they *have* to read everything or mark as read to keep things tidy. Make sense?

    Anyhow, I'm glad you are liking the UI. We are really happy with it. I really feel that the UI coupled with our server backend that enriches the feeds themselves really set this product apart from your typical RSS reader. Now we just need to work on making it even faster and better.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenbeans View Post
    If the 9 feed limit is what is worrying you, I implore you to jump in and help us make this the best mobile news reader ever.
    Since you actually replied directly to my comments, deal. Purchasing right now. Just please don't decide to charge for updates.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by eddieroger View Post
    Since you actually replied directly to my comments, deal. Purchasing right now. Just please don't decide to charge for updates.
    Nice! I feel really good about the product, so I have no problem recommending it. I'm pretty sure you won't regret it -- and don't worry, of course you will get free updates

    Everybody who is taking it for a spin, we would love to continue the discussion over at our blog at The Newsroom Blog. We are loving the feedback and can't wait to get our next update in your hands.

    Keep in mind that we are making daily improvements to the server that powers NewsRoom since it doesn't require that we push new software to you. So having an open line of communication with our most vocal Pre users is very important to us.
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions