Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenbeans View Post
    Part of the value of our server backend it that it allows the client to be extremely efficient with your phone's resources. The more feeds you add however, the more resources it will need to keep things up to date for you. That said NewsRoom is really gentle on the battery and we will be offering even greater control over how the application keeps itself up to date in the next update.
    I'm cool w/ that and not accusing it of being a hog... But I'm a control freak. If I want to completely close NewsRoom, then I want to be able to completely close it.

So, once I start it up, it's in memory until I reboot?
    Ya, I'm the same way -- we'll even make the control freaks happy soon enough

When you toss the NewsRoom card away it is no longer in memory. What happens is on a prescribed interval a timer wakes a task up to do a little work to keep NewsRoom up to date, and then it releases what small amount of system resources it needed to do that work. So, the full application need not be in memory to keep things up to date. Keep in mind you will need to launch the app at least once after a reboot to get background updates rolling.

Excellent questions insane.. as you can see this is something we've put a lot of thought into, and we've got some ideas to expand on this in the next update.
    Ya, I'm the same way -- we'll even make the control freaks happy soon enough

When you toss the NewsRoom card away it is no longer in memory. What happens is on a prescribed interval a timer wakes a task up to do a little work to keep NewsRoom up to date, and then it releases what small amount of system resources it needed to do that work. So, the full application need not be in memory to keep things up to date. Keep in mind you will need to launch the app at least once after a reboot to get background updates rolling.

Excellent questions insane.. as you can see this is something we've put a lot of thought into, and we've got some ideas to expand on this in the next update.
    Thanks; that's exactly what I wanted to know! I've been assuming they're just using a simple crontab type function to do things like that, but you know us geeks... gotta know everything.
    Great update! I got a permagrin on my face after seeing how much snappier it is!

Good job!
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    It would be nice if we could export or save our feeds.
    Wow I was just admiring how you crop the photos, and face detection came to mind. Now I read on your blog that you use it to create the snippets! Very nice. It IS snappy too.

Sorry to repeat myself from an earlier post, but until you create a landscape mode for this very nice program, myself and many others are SOL.

Is it that hard? Can't you just write some code that says "sideways"?
    It's us older guys that read the news you know.
  7.    #227  
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    Sorry to repeat myself from an earlier post, but until you create a landscape mode for this very nice program, myself and many others are SOL.

Is it that hard? Can't you just write some code that says "sideways"?
    It's us older guys that read the news you know.
    You might get their attention better by posting on their support site. Whenever I post an idea I always get a response quickly from an employee.

Community-powered support for Trileet, Inc.
    Kyusaku is right, if you have new feature suggestions, it's best to enter them over on our support site. That way people can vote on ideas they like and it will lend more credence to good suggestions.
    Possible bug that I didn't notice in the old version:

If NewsRoom is open in the background and the data service is interrupted (in my case, a phone call), it pulls itself to the foreground with an error message. Pretty annoying since I have to flick it to card view and go back to the phone app in order to hang up my call.
    Interesting.. we will definitely play with that, sounds pretty obnoxious. Also, make sure that any potential problems you find, report them as a problem over at our support site to make sure they get tracked.

Trileet Support
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    think I found a bug....notifications will not disable, even though I disabled each feeds notification. Anyone else?
    Heya PreGk, thanks for the feedback.

Make sure you post any problems you find on our support site so we make sure they get addressed.

Trileet Support
    Hi, I finally upgraded to the new version of Newsroom. But after I launched the new version it seemed to have lost all my site feeds.

I went to re-install the feeds and can't find the feed for Newsroom itself which was a default feed in the past versions.

I want that feed because that is where you notify us of pending upgrades?

Is something wrong or was all this intentional?

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Yup, upgrading to the new version does require that you add feeds back. We coded this to be backwards compatible, but for whatever reason the data did not come forward. This is something we hope to get straightened out for future updates and we are working with Palm to find out why that data just isn't there for you after upgrading.

The NewsRoom blog is right at the top of the featured list so you can add that back pretty easily.
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    I see you have an update to Palm out there today(1.2.1), any ideas if this will delete my current feeds when I install it?
    Pieler - It shouldn't, particularly since the data storage mechanism hasn't changed with this version (it's primarily a bug fix / optimizations release). That said, we aren't completely certain how Palm updates are applied just yet and are still working with Palm on this. If you do decide to grab the update, let us know how it goes as that will give us more information as we look into this for future updates.
    Pieler - It shouldn't, particularly since the data storage mechanism hasn't changed with this version (it's primarily a bug fix / optimizations release). That said, we aren't completely certain how Palm updates are applied just yet and are still working with Palm on this. If you do decide to grab the update, let us know how it goes as that will give us more information as we look into this for future updates.
    Yeah you don't have to add your feeds again this time around, I just updated and it went just fine.

Not sure if it is me or not, but this version feels a bit slower than the previous one?
    Manny -

It should definitely not be slower, only faster. Perhaps you've got something else competing for resources on your device?
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    cool, upgrade worked perfectly. thanks!
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    I was really on the fence with this app. Using a newsreader several times a day, and having found a functional (and free) one in the Feeds homebrew app, I held off for awhile. After seeing the 1.2 update get pushed out relatively quickly, and having it address a number of user concerns, I took the plunge and purchased it. I am quite happy with the app. My biggest feature request would be the ability to add/edit the icons used for the feeds. A number of my feeds are small blogs that don't even have icons, or have small favicons that look horrible in the app. The ability to choose a graphic, or even a screenshot of the page (ie the same way Bookmarks are created in the browser) would be a huge improvement.

I look forward to many hours of use with this reader.