Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenbeans View Post
    This is an interesting suggestion and one we have considered. The rub for us is that we have very real per-user costs and having a version out there that is free forever has some implications for us as a business. If we can find out a safe way economically to offer something on a trial basis, we will certainly consider it -- and we've talked quite a bit around that topic.
    No all you had to do with a demo is have the app disabled after 3 days of usage after trying it.

A lot of homebrew demos already work like this.

So to say that a demo or free version would live forever is not really a valid reason to not put a demo out.

You should really listen to these suggestions because the people here are tech savvy and have had smartphones for years. A majority have been Palm users for a long time and all of the 30,000 apps for the old Palm iS have almost always been offered as demos, with some type of restrictions.

I don't know if this is true or not, but if this was your first app for a smartphone, then its understandable that at the start you may have not know how things were done by most developers, at least for Palm.

And that you didn't know about the number 1 site for Palm users and it developer group makes me believe my statement.

If you wish to see what I am talking about check out 'www.palmgear.com'

But now you know how much everyone wants demos.

So try and reconsider.

If it were a demo my initial response to you would not have taken place.

At this point since I have paid, I am now I'm very happy and love the app.

But of course, I am being patient and waiting for some features to get updated (yes the 9 site limit thing). And of course getting updated up in the catalog takes time. Whereas, in homebrew its overnight at most. So if you put an update in catalog and it has bugs in it, it would still take days to get a replacement up.

Ok, that's enough of this, its your company and you get to make the final decision.

Newsroom is so useful to me.

I don't like going to a Facebook thing, just recently they shut my account off for no reason. I had to fight to prove them wrong.

So going to a place like is not great. Just setup a webserver and have a support area yourself, like most companies do, example: MotionApps.com for Classic. Don't rely on anyone else's service. Not even PreCentral.

Rob

PS I had suggested that you alter the GUI of your app, so you can have more than the 9 site limit which you say is because of Palm needing to upgrade the WebOS. But you didn't like that idea, you thought I didn't like your GUI and said to look elsewhere. You seem to be very defensive when people are just wanting your app to succeed. You think we are bashing your work. No that's not it. We want it to work. And if changing the GUI gets you past the 9 site limit NOW, then make the change until Palm fixes whatever it is that is holding you up. You can always go back to what you want. I had only given you one suggestion and I didn't demand it, I only suggested it.

And if you are leaving PreCentral because there is a lot of suggestions here, don't be fooled, it will still follow you.

I need for you to understand that WE (and yes I would say everyone would agree), want your app to succeed! And yes, we can see it does things that others have not been able to get working or have developed just yet.

And no $5 is very reasonable, and I think you are scratching your head wondering why at that price point people are still asking for a demo.

I think it's because down the road, you won't be the only one to have an app like this, so how on earth do we decide which is the better app? You might say, well read the reviews, people don't want reviews, they need to touch and feel a product. That's sales 101!

One person might like how a particular app feels to them and the next person might not like that app.

Also, remember, that there will be millions of people purchasing app, so small change add up.

But for an end user, if they want lots of apps, they can only afford so much, or will only invest so much in a particular phone. Smartphones come and go, and when we switch phones usually we have to start all over and purchase the same apps all over again. So it does end being expensive for an individual.
    Last edited by rlanza1054; 10/16/2009 at 10:46 PM. Reason: grammer
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    At this point since I have paid, I AM now very happy and love the app.
    Thanks, I'm glad to hear you love it.
    Hey all, thanks for all your suggestions, we are hard at work on many of them. Look for that first update to drop soon. We're a bit frustrated with Palm getting that out, and hopefully you will have it in your hands soon.

If you would like to give us any feedback going forward, feel free to hit up our support site and we will be right there to chime in.

Feel free to post here, but I'm going to be focusing my efforts writing code and helping folks out over at our support site, so it's very possible I won't be back here.

Thanks again, many of you have been a huge help in the early goings of our product launch on the Palm Pre!
    One suggestion:

Please add to the app's HELP area the web address of the support site you want us to use. Right now there is only the email address.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Yup, the support site is very new. We will make sure future submissions of the app will list it for sure (although the update that has been sitting in Palm's queue won't). At any rate we will also direct folks from that e-mail address to the new support site so everyone who needs help can find it.
    Gotta say it here, getsatisfaction is very very slow. I'm still waiting for it to get to the first screen as I write this. I posted a message there and had to do an edit and waiting for about 5 minutes.

Something is not right with that site and it's not me. Because I am flying here on PreCentral.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

What gives with that site, I click on login and it doesn't go anywhere?

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

mrgreenbeans, Newsroom contiunes to work great for me, however, Engadget Mobile and BGR are still giving me problems. They stopped showing new feeds, so I took them both off the list and put them back on. They both worked fine for a day or two, then started slowing down and finally hardly showing anything. BGR was an entire day behind, Engadget Mobile missed a day, but then showed one more feed today.

Not sure why those two just don't want to behave!
    Looks like they are having some difficulties at the moment, I'm sure they will get that straightened out. I would try again tomorrow, Rob.
    Ok, so it isn't me, this thing is really working slow and what I am encountering is not the usual?

I hope not, and I have to laugh, because this is a flashback of what happened that very first day I got Newsroom when the server was down.

This time around, I'm going to take your advice and just leave it alone for the night.

I hope they have some kind of mobile version however.

Goodnight!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    I tried to add my wife's swedish newspaper on here - but the program doesn't handle swedish characters They come out as the ? character. (the website gp.se works fine in the web browser..)

a sample RSS feed is http://www.gp.se/1.16942

Please fix. THANK YOU
    -mark
    Rob -

From their website:

"Get Satisfaction™ is being upgraded! We're working to get it back up and running as soon as possible."

So, ya, hopefully things are back to it's snappy self in a little bit. Bad timing for me to point everyone there.. sheesh.

Mark - We've been able to reproduce this, and think it's something we can fix on the server so we should be able to address it without updating the client
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    I tried to add my wife's swedish newspaper on here - but the program doesn't handle swedish characters They come out as the ? character. (the website gp.se works fine in the web browser..)

a sample RSS feed is Göteborg

Please fix. THANK YOU
    -mark
    btw - I'm noticing that other utf-8 characters are displayed incorrectly as well. (i.e. - ' symbols in some articles..)

-mark
    Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    btw - I'm noticing that other utf-8 characters are displayed incorrectly as well. (i.e. - ' symbols in some articles..)

-mark
    Yup, it's definitely an encoding issue, thanks!
    MrGreenBeans,

Ok, I pretty much slept the day away.

I saw the reply about the server being down.

I just rolled over and laughed.

Wow! Bad timing is right, and it happen to me of all people.

LOL! Just made my day!

OK, I will be testing it out again.

Did you find out if the offer a mobile version of the website?

Rob
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenbeans View Post
    Hey, if you think it sounds like demo-ware as it is, then don't by it. We certainly aren't going out of business, but thanks for the comments.
    It's comments like this that make me sorry that I wasted $5 for an app that has only been updating 3 of the nine feeds for the last 4-5 days. I was going to wait out the next update, but after a comment from a developer like the above, I will certainly wait for multiple reviews on any app over a dollar or two in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramer84015 View Post
    It's comments like this that make me sorry that I wasted $5 for an app that has only been updating 3 of the nine feeds for the last 4-5 days. I was going to wait out the next update, but after a comment from a developer like the above, I will certainly wait for multiple reviews on any app over a dollar or two in the future.
    Remove the feeds that aren't updating and them add them again. They made changes to the server, so hopefully those other feeds will continue to update. I haven't done it yet myself, but I am about to.

Give it a whirl!
    Manny is right, since Palm is being really sluggish getting our client update out to you guys, we put in a ton of time trying to track down a way to solve this issue from the server side. We rolled a server update this morning with hopes of fixing this for you guys. We've got a client update coming as well that among other things, improves performance, increases the number of feeds, and lets you customize the app a bit to your liking (renaming feeds, sorting the feed icons, per-feed notifications, etc).

If you are having trouble with feeds not updating, try removing and re-adding them one more time and see if it continues to have problems falling behind. I'm not 100% certain the server change this morning will fix this on the Pre since I don't have one with me at the moment. If you continue to see it or think it's fixed for you, it would be really helpful if you could send an e-mail to newsroom@trileet.com. Include any information you can such as which feeds are giving you trouble.

I really appreciate you guys helping us track this kind of thing down. Feeds not updating is obviously a deal-breaker and making sure NewsRoom works perfectly for you is really important to us.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramer84015 View Post
    I wrote to them and they gave me my money back. Don't let them tell you that Palm is responsible for giving a refund.

The best way to send a message to a developer is to request a refund. $5 isn't much, but given that this really is a half-done product, at least for my needs, and they've refused to provide a demo product, they need to know. Having to hand out refunds is a true way of learning what's really important to their customer base.
    We would be happy to have the ability to grant refunds. We didn't give squeff a refund, we gave him $5 -- there is a distinct difference. There is no way for us to fulfill a true refund and have the app removed from his phone.

This is something Palm most certainly will have to be involved with and one I hope they figure out. Their App Catalog is new for them, so I would cut them a little slack until they figure out how to deal with billing properly. We haven't even received a cent for all the effort we've been putting into this project, so I think it's good that we all exercise some patience with them.