Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    Back when I had my iPhone, I paid $15 for an instant messaging app because it was ten times better than any of the free ones. Expensive? Yes. But was it worth it TO ME? Yes!

Bottom line is what others have said, if you want it, buy it. I'm waiting for the Notifications app from Homebrew to get into the apps catalogue. Will I pay for that? Abso-fvcking-lutely because I use it and it's worthwhile to me.
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DNic View Post
    Personally I think some of the apps that went from homebrew to catalog just aren't ready for "paid app" status. They are incomplete or still in "beta". Yes I know the app catalog is still in beta too, but if your gonna char $3-$6 for an app it should be beyond "beta" phase.
    Oh, and this I agree with. I saw Friends Flow made it on there and, no disrespect to the developer who made it, but I'm iffy about trying it because every Homebrew version I've tried of Friends Flow was a let down.
    I have no problem paying for a beta app if free updates on the road to release quality are included. Even though an app may still be beta it can already be useful.

The no-go zone in my opinion is where people require donations for beta versions on here and THEN migrate to the app catalog, expecting users to pay AGAIN. That's just wrong.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Ok. I don't know what planet you people are coming from, but us previous PalmOS users spent a lot more than $4.99 & $7.99 for apps. As a mater of fact $20 -$30 was not unheard of. Peruse Handango or PalmGear for PalmOS apps and then come back and talk.

In the meantime, we're getting bargains. More than likely, the prices will go up instead of down. We're seeing introductory prices.

If there aren't any apps that interest you, don't buy them or learn how to develop apps for yourself.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    Ok. I don't know what planet you people are coming from, but us previous PalmOS users spent a lot more than $4.99 & $7.99 for apps. As a mater of fact $20 -$30 was not unheard of. Peruse Handango or PalmGear for PalmOS apps and then come back and talk.
    That was before the iPhone and Android. That noise won't fly anymore in 2009 when I can get the same app for less, on an arguably better phone.
    It really is just a matter of scale imo. Right now the user base for webos is still pretty small compared to other platforms. Developers right now are few and the for a profitable return on investment, they have to price it higher accordingly. I think once the webos user base size increases and once more developers start coding for the platform, scale and competition will eventually bring app prices down...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by Menso View Post
    That was before the iPhone and Android. That noise won't fly anymore in 2009 when I can get the same app for less, on an arguably better phone.
    Then it appears to be time for you to get the iPhone or Android so that you can buy apps at the price you want and have the phone that you think is the better phone (for you).

In the meantime, we're getting bargains. More than likely, the prices will go up instead of down. We're seeing introductory prices.

If there aren't any apps that interest you, don't buy them or learn how to develop apps for yourself.
    Yes, and many people complained about it then because they were overpriced. Even with that though, many of the apps that were $20 or $30 were very quality apps for their time. The ones that were worth the money were successful, and people payed for them gladly. Plus, the mobile market was a very different beast at that time, and not just any Joe Shmoe could write an app in a few hours in their basement like they can today. You can't really compare it.

The problem here is that many of the paid apps in the app store now are nowhere near worth their cost. Yes, "if you don't like it don't pay for it etc etc," but the fact is that it sets a dangerous precedent. If we're being expected to pay money for a random number generator, what will a true quality app eventually cost us?

I don't know, I guess the fact that I'm expected to pay $5 for a jogging stats app bothers me, especially when real quality stuff like word/card ace are free. The whole thing feels upside down.
    Originally posted by Big Dookie:
    I don't know, I guess the fact that I'm expected to pay $5 for a jogging stats app bothers me, especially when real quality stuff like word/card ace are free. The whole thing feels upside down.
    Try Workout Tracker. It's only $3.99 and it tracks your runs and workout. In addition, you can e-mail your stats so that you can keep then in a desktop log excel sheet or whatever you want to use for a log sheet.

I guess I see this different, because I came from PalmOS and I'm watching these developers struggle with a moving target. Even my favorite developer, who has resources behind them, SplashData, can't keep up with this moving target.

If SplashData starts with an App, makes it better, and then has it break. Fixes it and then has it break again. Then decides to make sure users can use it, but deliver an okay app until the OS settles down, then I certainly understand why developers with less resources may have to do the same thing.

It takes a lot to support an App when the system that they are writing for is still beta and basically a moving target. My hat is off to any of the developers who were able to deliver a stable app. That doesn't mean that I'll buy all of their apps. I'll buy the ones that I think I'll use now or soon.

My point is that we don't know the resources, time, and complexity of the apps. I would think an app that tracks your moves with GPS coordinates and times it, takes more effort than a card or word game. But that's me based on logic and having no idea of the developer world.
    This is actually why Card Ace and Word Ace are free to download. Over the next few days, we're going to be rolling out the ability to buy chips for the game - for $1, $5, $10, or $20, if you so desire. With our next update, we'll be rolling out the ability to simply donate a few bucks to help support the game, and you'll get a little star by your profile for 30 days to show your generosity is helping to keep us making more games.

You don't *have* to spend a penny. You don't have to give us anything if you don't want to, if you hate the game, if you think it's value to you is $0. All we're asking is that if you *do* like it - and there are people who've clearly played the game for hundreds of hours - to send a couple bucks our way to let us keep making games like Word Ace & Card Ace.

If the game's worth $0 to you, so be it. If it's worth $20 to you, that's fantastic. You can play as much as you want - find out whether you like the game or not, and in the end, you get to determine what you want to spend on it. We're not making money from advertising, some back-door development deal, or anything else. ALL of our income for Word Ace & Card Ace will come from the players who choose to help support the game. (though if that doesn't work out, I certainly wouldn't rule out ads to keep things running).

Yeah, it's a different model for a paid app, but *I* think it's one that I'd appreciate as a user, and I hope that our players will appreciate and understand it, as well.

seppo
    I would think an app that tracks your moves with GPS coordinates and times it, takes more effort than a card or word game. But that's me based on logic and having no idea of the developer world.
    Believe me, making an online multiplayer word game or card game (or word AND card game) that supports thousands of simultaneous users is a hell of a challenge.

seppo
    Quote Originally Posted by selfawaregames View Post
    Believe me, making an online multiplayer word game or card game (or word AND card game) that supports thousands of simultaneous users is a hell of a challenge.

seppo
    I guess I'll have to give it a try to understand the complexity. Other than Soduku & Solitare, I never played games on my Treo, so I didn't try any of the Homebrews or from the catalog.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234