Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 72
  1. Dunkin's Avatar
    Posts
    21 Posts
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    Do all of you freeloaders have any paid software on your PC's or is it all just freeware and / or pirated software?

    I look at this one of two ways. Since webOS is just a modificaton of the linux kernel, has nearly the same filesystem hierarchy etc.. as My ArchLinux install and I install Checkers on Linux for free, Why on the other hand would I have to pay for it to install it on a modified form of Linux on My phone?

    Another example to this is. Stardock a company that makes WindowBlinds a program that alters the GUI of Windows desktops. Themeing so to speak. They were charging around 20$ last time I checked. When I can do the same thing for free on Linux.

    I guess I am blabbing a little bit. But I can see where some people are coming from.

    I think that a donate option would be better. If I like your program enough and want to see it get developed further than I will donate a small amount of money to you. Not the other way around. I should not have to download and pay for a program first not knowing if I am going to like it or not.
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by katsnuts View Post
    "Killer" being another term economists use regularly to express greatness. ie. "the NASDAQ went up 118 pts. today...it was KILLER".

    This is a child who has no money to buy apps, homebrew or FAIL.
    Thanks for waiting for me nuts.I just woke up from my nap and had a bottle so i could get back into this forum.I call it like it is.If you are going to buy these kiddie apps then, your the child!Or,go back to the stock market and play your white collar gambling all day!OH.........you dont have the money to do that!
  3. Stihl's Avatar
    Posts
    741 Posts
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    Thank you. It's called a market. Willing buyers buying from willing sellers. If either side is not willing, prices will change.
    Oh please. Of all the crap threads posted on this forum this is not one of them. I love when people break out their economist hats completely ignoring the need for complete information, which ties into the forum itself. Give a thousand people pre's, a hundred bucks, and your blessing and they will buy every app, every case, and some overpriced charging equipment. Give those same people 40 bucks and access to this forum and they will buy cheap accessories from monoprice, homebrew apps until it has been proven that the charge for paid apps is worth their updates, and they will do their best to plan these movies around assumed time tables on the forum (in the form of tweets or rumors from palm and sprint).

    The discussion of pricing-especially at this early stage where the pricing is to resemble the wild west-is critical. The more information out their the better for the consumer.
  4. ION-q's Avatar
    Posts
    114 Posts
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    #44  
    Where does one buy an economist's hat? I have a cowboy hat, and a wizard hat, but no economist hat.
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by briggsie View Post
    At 16 bucks a share I could buy palm and I will own you.Start making your checks out to bbriggsie!
    wow for being so rich you are pretty clueless....don't you know everyone on the internet is a billionaire who can bench 350lbs....geesh rookie!
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunkin View Post
    I look at this one of two ways. Since webOS is just a modificaton of the linux kernel, has nearly the same filesystem hierarchy etc.. as My ArchLinux install and I install Checkers on Linux for free, Why on the other hand would I have to pay for it to install it on a modified form of Linux on My phone?
    You don't HAVE to pay for anything. If an app is only available at a fee you can choose to not get it. Also, The fact that Linux is free and there is a lot of free software you can run on it doesn't mean everything you run on it needs to be free. Mac OS X is also based on a free OS kernel. Does this mean we don't need to pay Apple for software? Nope.

    Another example to this is. Stardock a company that makes WindowBlinds a program that alters the GUI of Windows desktops. Themeing so to speak. They were charging around 20$ last time I checked. When I can do the same thing for free on Linux.
    Because someone decided to do it for free on Linux and someone else decided to charge $20 for it on Windows. I don't see why the fact that it can be done for free on Linux should mean the guy who did it on Windows can't charge for it. He spent time on making it possible on Windows and likes to get some compensation for it. Why not?


    I think that a donate option would be better. If I like your program enough and want to see it get developed further than I will donate a small amount of money to you. Not the other way around. I should not have to download and pay for a program first not knowing if I am going to like it or not.
    I tried that in the past. People don't donate. Trust me on that one. I think you'll be lucky if 1 out of 10.000 users sends you a tiny donation.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
  7. Smolira's Avatar
    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    #47  
    There are apps I'd pay $5 or more for and apps I wouldn't pay a penny for (Gas Passer comes to mind). If you don't like it, don't buy it. Something comes to mind about a free market and a capitalist economy. Of course, some people simply like to b****.
  8. tarhead's Avatar
    Posts
    183 Posts
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    #48  
    "developers need to eat too" - were they on food stamps most of their lives - waiting for the pre?

    sorry - couldn't resist...

    that other post that went something like, "seeing a cool icon, reading a paragraph - then clicking to buy" - seems to say that the apps are fodder for idiots rather than applications one would CONSIDER - sure didn't sound to complimentary to the developer types.

    if I spent time developing I think I would want my work to be purchased with intent rather than because "it has a cool icon"
  9. piaband's Avatar
    Posts
    275 Posts
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post



    Get what you can from the App Catalog while there is no competition because at some point someone is going to copy your idea and make a $0.99 version.
    See thats whats funny. Even you agree with my argument (even though you are a little too slow to figure it out.) The Blockdrop developer copied someone elses idea (Tetris) and he is charging $5 for it. What the hell happened to the .99 cent version you are talking about?

    Over priced.

    Also, its not the poor people that question prices. Wealthy people are the biggest penny-pinchers around. You know why, because they dont get sucked in by overpriced impulse buys. They know the value of something (regardless of if it is an app or a Mercedes) and they refuse to pay for something that is overpriced.
  10. azack's Avatar
    Posts
    104 Posts
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    #50  
    over priced
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    Ok ok, you say you can buy Palm but your complaining bout prices?

    Actually I know someone who actually COULD buy Palm and he complains about unreasonable prices all the time. Poverty is not a prerequisite for common sense you know.
  12. djmcgee's Avatar
    Posts
    626 Posts
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by briggsie View Post
    Wouldnt you think after 4 months that they would have a couple killer apps for launch day?I wouldnt care if they were 9.99 or more.5 bucks for JOGSTATS....give me a break.If they cant have any real apps on launch day,Then those apps in our app catolog should be no more then .75 cents!
    They were going to make them 75 cents (0.75 cents seemed too cheep) but then they had to adjust for Obamaflation. Sorry.
  13. #53  
    To those who complain about the price of the apps, let the market correct the pricing.

    The developers puts in prices that they think are fair, but they may be out of their minds. Thus, the demand for their apps will drop and consequently they will increase functionality or drop price to create demand.

    This is a simple concept. Pricing of Apps now are a little higher as well due to the fact that the competition isn't there. Once competition increases, app prices will drop and/or functionality will increase.

    If you like an App that has been released but are reluctant to bite due to the price, just remember that early adopters are the ones that pave the way to better products. Bite the bullet now, and you will be rewarded by the developer later with updates to the App.
  14. punzada's Avatar
    Posts
    137 Posts
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunkin View Post
    I look at this one of two ways. Since webOS is just a modificaton of the linux kernel, has nearly the same filesystem hierarchy etc.. as My ArchLinux install and I install Checkers on Linux for free, Why on the other hand would I have to pay for it to install it on a modified form of Linux on My phone?
    The Checkers you use is either based on GTK or QT most likely. We are using webOS/Luna to handle window management and UI - This UI needs to be coded.

    Nothing is stopping a developer from using the code from a GPL licensed Checkers game and creating a free version of it for webOS - however if a developer would like to be compensated for their work due to their own time investment in coding it within javascript/webos it is their right to as well, nobody is forcing you to buy it.

    TLDR; just because it exists on Linux graphically doesn't mean you can just run it on the Pre. You aren't entitled to anything.
  15. #55  
    I'll buy all your cars and houses, but I'll pay just 0,05$ per car and 0,10$ per house. I'll pay this amount because car and real state markets are overpriced (or at least, I think so). And you have to sell because I think that's the correct price.

    Isn't it?
  16.    #56  
    Maybe in spain you could do that!!!!!!!!!!
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by briggsie View Post
    Maybe in spain you could do that!!!!!!!!!!
    No luck in Spain... I've tried... sellers have spent last five hours laughing...
  18.    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    No luck in Spain... I've tried... sellers have spent last five hours laughing...
    ITs because your not a CLOSER!
  19. #59  
    I was born in February, so I'm Aquarius, I think.
  20. DNic's Avatar
    Posts
    570 Posts
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    #60  
    Personally I think some of the apps that went from homebrew to catalog just aren't ready for "paid app" status. They are incomplete or still in "beta". Yes I know the app catalog is still in beta too, but if your gonna char $3-$6 for an app it should be beyond "beta" phase.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions