Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    Hey all. I did a fair bit of searching and reading before writing this post... information I found was just sort of scattered and incomplete. Not sure if anyone has thoughts, if so I'd love to hear them.

I don't have many apps installed, 26 total between both Homebrew and App Catalog. However, when I went to install a new app from the Catalog a bit ago, I got the "not enough space error." I removed an app and tried again and it downloads, then says "installation error." My guess is I freed up enough space to download but not to handle the download and installation? *shrug*

I feel like, given my app count compared to some that I have read, something else must be going on.

I read somewhere that the partition for /var is limited to roughly 250MB or so and confirmed this. My current usage of that partition is:

Code:
    root@castle:/var/log# df
    Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/mapper/store-var
                            253920    178124     75796  70% /var
    So, it still looks like I have room, but what is taking up all that space?

Code:
    root@castle:/var/usr/palm/applications# du -mcs
    41      .
    41      total
    I deleted a few random directories still there from removed apps.

The only other directory that appeared to have any substance to it is

Code:
    root@castle:/var/luna# du -mcs
    80      .
    80      total
    From in there, it was mostly:

Code:
    root@castle:/var/luna/data# du -mcs attachments emails/
    20      attachments
    51      emails
    71      total
    Why is that emails directory so large and does it matter? I have 4 email accounts, all IMAP... no inbox has more than 5-10 emails in it at max (I am crazy about email organization). Given that they're all IMAP, I wouldn't expect much local storage other than text for inbox messages (maybe) and then an index for other folders.

I tried renaming that emails directory and making an empty one, but the email app doesn't seem to pull the information down again if it's not there (all emails became blank, even after resync).

I'd rather avoid resetting my Pre if I can.

Anyone have any advice or thoughts?

Thanks for reading all of this... sorry if I did end up missing other helpful posts.

--Dave
    To my mind, the single biggest issue with the Pre right now is the app storage limitation. Every other issue I have with the Pre, even including my less-than-stellar battery life, can be addressed one way or another. The inability to install more than a handful of apps, however, represents a hard limit on the Pre's usability for me, and I simply cannot wait until Palm resolves this issue.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    To my mind, the single biggest issue with the Pre right now is the app storage limitation. Every other issue I have with the Pre, even including my less-than-stellar battery life, can be addressed one way or another. The inability to install more than a handful of apps, however, represents a hard limit on the Pre's usability for me, and I simply cannot wait until Palm resolves this issue.
    QFT. This needs to be fixed ASAP. I have no idea why Palm did this in the first place.
    Guys, seriously, this is much easier to implement than it sounds.

You do need root access, and need to know how to type in commands, but the script is all written, and it works beautifully.

Solution to App Catalog Installation Limit - WebOS Internals
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Guys, seriously, this is much easier to implement than it sounds.

You do need root access, and need to know how to type in commands, but the script is all written, and it works beautifully.

Solution to App Catalog Installation Limit - WebOS Internals
    Not really what I am looking for, but yeah... that is an obvious workaround. The point of my post was more that it seems like something is off/not working properly.

I'm not using the full partition space. I don't have a lot of apps installed. Why is it erroring out?
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSuSE View Post
    Not really what I am looking for, but yeah... that is an obvious workaround. The point of my post was more that it seems like something is off/not working properly.

I'm not using the full partition space. I don't have a lot of apps installed. Why is it erroring out?
    I apologize, I didn't read close enough the first time. I'm not sure, looks like you have about 75mb free. What size is the App you're trying to download?
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    what size is the app you're trying to download?
    5mb :-p
    i'm convinced it's a bug in the phone somehow.

I uninstalled guitar refernece at 1619k then tried to install ypmobile at 122k. I still get a lack of memory error.

i got ithe error with 39 apps. i've unintalled all but 12 since and still can't install small stuff. It says uninstall apps but that is clearly not the problem. I'm convinced if they knew how to fix it they'd have done it already. And if they can and aren't then the people at palm are just dumb. Gonna go reinstall homebrew stuff.
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    So I removed all of my installed apps (homebrew and catalog). It was a pain, but after reinstalling them all (literally, the same exact apps I had) I somehow now have more free space and was able to install a new app. I haven't tried any more, not sure if I should mess with it by adding and removing too many apps just to test. But that seems pretty clear to me that there is an actual issue, not just a dumb policy/limitation.

As a PS, the size of /var is the same as it was before my mass removal and re-installation.
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    An additional thought... honestly, I have not searched around for this but maybe there is somewhere (other than /tmp) where apps are being downloaded to before installation and something was messing with the removal of some of those packages? *shrug*
    I am having the same issue as well as my friend who bougt her Pre three days after me. I still only 6.1gb available after removing 5 apps. I tried to delete apps and some pics to free you sapce, however, I still was unable to download new or update any apps apps from the catelog or homebrew. I'm curious to know if I would be able to is quickinstall. I have been trying via file coaster (which sometimes won't load). I've had this problem before and I deleted some pics and was able to install more apps but I have never had more than 35. I think it migt be a separate memory for apps. If so, they need to correct this prob. I had exapandable memory cards on previous phones. I only had 2gb and never was close to filling it up and pi had way more stuff on my phone.
    I'd be curious to know if any of you that have deleted large apps and still don't have room, if you reboot and try again, what's the result?
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    I'd be curious to know if any of you that have deleted large apps and still don't have room, if you reboot and try again, what's the result?
    No relief from this alone. I did get some relief by removal and reinstalling all of my apps (see detail a few posts up)... despite the fact that the space used in the partition was exactly the same. Makes absolutely no sense at all.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I'm in the same boat as the other posters in this thread. I'm not able to install any apps using the official app catalog although my /var partition is only 57% full. Anyone discovered any new information on this? Is the download of the app failing and not the install? Anyone know where it downloads it to before it installs it?
    Last edited by wiz1999; 10/07/2009 at 01:11 PM.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    It's a problem that needs to be fixed soon. I've had 4 too many cards open messages since June 7.
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wiz1999 View Post
    Anyone know where it downloads it to before it installs in?
    /media/downloads
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tyea View Post
    It's a problem that needs to be fixed soon. I've had 4 too many cards open messages since June 7.
    I don't think this is the same issue.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    /media/downloads
    I assume you mean /media/internal/downloads. If that is true, then I don't understand what my pre is doing. After clicking on the download button for an app, it sits there for awhile (like its downloading) before I get the not enough memory error. During that time, however, nothing new appears in the downloads folder. Can anyone confirm when they install an app they see something go into that downloads folder?
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wiz1999 View Post
    I assume you mean /media/internal/downloads. If that is true, then I don't understand what my pre is doing. After clicking on the download button for an app, it sits there for awhile (like its downloading) before I get the not enough memory error. During that time, however, nothing new appears in the downloads folder. Can anyone confirm when they install an app they see something go into that downloads folder?
    Oops, sorry, yep... /media/internal/downloads Confirmed for me.
    Just SSH into your Pre, sit in that dir, start an app catalog download (if you can) and "ls" that dir.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Oops, sorry, yep... /media/internal/downloads Confirmed for me.
    Just SSH into your Pre, sit in that dir, start an app catalog download (if you can) and "ls" that dir.
    That's exactly what I've been doing...nothing shows up there...which makes me think its not even trying the download. Very odd. I wonder what is going on.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast