1.    #1  
    I guess you guys didn't give Palm enough credit when you said you wouldn't buy an app without a demo/lite version. App that I'm referencing is Word Whirl ($2.99) and Word Whirl Lite (free).

Now we can just look forward to those that are going to complain when every single app doesn't come out with a free version.
    never satisfied
    I don't think it's Palm that determines whether or not there's a lite/demo version. I believe it's up to the developer.

And incidentally, I bought Word Whirl the second I saw the pay version. Love that game!
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I really don't see the big deal. If developers want to sell more apps they'll offer a lite / trial version of their programs. Those that don't do so for their own reasons. Its their work, they can and should do whatever they want with it.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    I really don't see the big deal. If developers want to sell more apps they'll offer a lite / trial version of their programs. Those that don't do so for their own reasons. Its their work, they can and should do whatever they want with it.
    Exactly. But as soon as the paid apps came out, this forums blows up with people dogging on Palm for not having free versions.

Like cnote stated...never satisfied.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Apps...who cares about paid apps. I'm still upset my palm didn't come with a free iPhone to compare it against!!!
    You can never satisfy everyone... But a trial would be nice. Even WinMo apps can do that.
    Aka: NinjaMom
    www.ppcgeeks.com
    PPC6600>PPC6700>HTC Touch>Touch Pro>Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    I am thinking a try before you buy is pretty standard for software. Most paid professional applications have a trial period, be it 7 days, 7 launches, 24 hours, etc. Unless your name is "Microsoft" I would have no idea as to the qulaity of an App in the App store.....and reviews are next to useless. People will complain about a perfectly useful or enjoyable app just for the sake of b itching.

Looking for a trial or lite version of an app does not make a consumer "ungrateful".
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertSilver View Post
    Now we can just look forward to those that are going to complain when every single app doesn't come out with a free version.
    Hawww Haw... Beat you to it.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/207274-ppcc.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndall View Post
    Looking for a trial or lite version of an app does not make a consumer "ungrateful".
    No, but endlessly complaining as if lite versions were a consumer right does make them seem whiney.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Have you ever noticed the people complaining on Apple review sites if an app cost more than .99.

Check out the prices we paid for Palm OS programs.

I'll gladly pay for a game that can keep my interest. Surprised Card Ace is free, that is one I would pay up to $10 for!
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndall View Post
    I am thinking a try before you buy is pretty standard for software. Most paid professional applications have a trial period, be it 7 days, 7 launches, 24 hours, etc. Unless your name is "Microsoft" I would have no idea as to the qulaity of an App in the App store.....and reviews are next to useless. People will complain about a perfectly useful or enjoyable app just for the sake of b itching.

Quoted for truth.

The difference between this software we buy on the Pre as opposed to buying software or anything anywhere else is we can exchange it for a refund, or store credit. Not here. Once we buy it, we're locked in with no way out.

It's not like it's an impossible feature to implement either, and it's not too much to ask for when you're charging us for $5+ apps that probably aren't worth the time that was spent creating them.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Menso View Post
    Quoted for truth.

The difference between this software we buy on the Pre as opposed to buying software or anything anywhere else is we can exchange it for a refund, or store credit. Not here. Once we buy it, we're locked in with no way out.

It's not like it's an impossible feature to implement either, and it's not too much to ask for when you're charging us for $5+ apps that probably aren't worth the time that was spent creating them.
    I totally agree with that! Some people don't even have money too pay bills let alone jobs! All i'm saying is make apps reasonable so you can at least reel customers in, not run them away.
    As the author of Word Whirl, I think it is a decent value at $2.99. However, when I look at it from a user who doesn't know me from Adam. Why should they buy it? This is why I put out Word Whirl Lite. Try before you buy.

My second goal is to sell many copies of Word Whirl.

My first goal is that no one thinks that the $2.99 they spent was wasted. I've done that in the App Store for Apple and it sucks.

I believe that giving a user the option, WILL sell more apps.

When the app price is higher than my $2.99, it situation is even MORE in need of a trial or lite version.

So I agree with the people complaining about no trial, that feeling is why I made mine.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    I hate this app that I just bought Cough Weather Bug Cough, wish I could refund it.
    I hate this app that I just bought Cough Weather Bug Cough, wish I could refund it.
    Lite versions are up to the developers, nothing to do with Palm in any way. But honestly, if you do not feel like paying the developer's price tag, just skip it. If you think you *might* like an app, email the developer and ask for a lite/demo version. Each app has a link to the developer homepage, so it's not like they can hide from you.

Having a lite version will sell more pro versions, and make you feel comfortable about buying. More apps need lite/trial versions.

FlashCards will have a lite version... full features, no time limitations, just a single set limit. You have to delete all existing sets to install a new one, but the functionality is there.
    Demos for everything is one thing Microsoft got absolutely right with Xbox Live Arcade. Those little $5 purchases (and even $2 in the case of the App Catalog) add up after awhile and you can't sell them if you don't like them or no longer have use for them.

I've purchased stuff I wouldn't have after trying a demo and I've changed my mind about things after trying a demo and discovering it wasn't for me. I'm not saying I won't buy something sight unseen, but I think devs are going to have to implement demos so their audience knows exactly what they're getting as digital distribution picks up steam.