Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 55 of 55
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    I really don't think a $.99 application is that far out. Think about it, if you work 40 hours a week for 2 and a half months (400 hours), if you sold your application for $.99 and had 20,000 people buy it over a certain amount of time, then that initial effort is worth about $50 an hour.

    That's not bad. Applications, however, have a residual income which can be helpful but if the application is bad, you'll likely not see much money from it after the first month or so.

    Software development is hard but you make it sound like all applications should be at least $10+. I highly disagree and think $.99 can be a very good price point with certain applications.
    ugh.. So, whats the going interest rate on that 400 hrs? Thats a $20k investment at $50/hr. Interest for two months wont be intangible.

    On top of that, the dev only gets a cut of that price.

    On top of that, there are other investments that must be amortized to create such products.

    On top of that, there is the additional time spent marketing, supporting, updating, etc.

    Yes, good apps will make money, but it wont make anyone rich, even at $5/download.

    So many people dont understand the overhead and attached costs of product creation.
  2. Tyndall's Avatar
    Posts
    198 Posts
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    How would he give a lite version of a calculator exactly?
    24 hour trial?
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndall View Post
    24 hour trial?
    Make it 'upside down' so the user has to turn the phone over

    after a time interval, the 0 key stops working. Ever try to do maths with no 0?
  4. #44  
    OMG!!1!!1!

    Most software across the 'net has "try b4 you" trialware so you can, ya know, TRY IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT.

    I may not be able to test out gas, but I can test drive a car. In fact, how many people buy a car with out test driving?
    Always pimpin' PunnyShirts.com
  5. Tyndall's Avatar
    Posts
    198 Posts
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    #45  
    Quoted because I am too lazy to retype.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndall View Post
    I am thinking a try before you buy is pretty standard for software. Most paid professional applications have a trial period, be it 7 days, 7 launches, 24 hours, etc. Unless your name is "Microsoft" I would have no idea as to the qulaity of an App in the App store.....and reviews are next to useless. People will complain about a perfectly useful or enjoyable app just for the sake of b itching.

    Looking for a trial or lite version of an app does not make a consumer "ungrateful".
  6. a1aone's Avatar
    Posts
    117 Posts
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    #46  
    Some people don't even have money too pay bills let alone jobs! All i'm saying is make apps reasonable so you can at least reel customers in, not run them away.
  7. #47  
    If people can't pay their bills, why are they spending money on apps?
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by a1aone View Post
    Some people don't even have money too pay bills let alone jobs! All i'm saying is make apps reasonable so you can at least reel customers in, not run them away.
    and these people can afford smartphones and the associated plan? Makes me question their motives/priorities

    An economy is driven by monetary votes, pay to play, so either pay up or..
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by phreakish View Post
    ugh.. So, whats the going interest rate on that 400 hrs? Thats a $20k investment at $50/hr. Interest for two months wont be intangible.

    On top of that, the dev only gets a cut of that price.

    On top of that, there are other investments that must be amortized to create such products.

    On top of that, there is the additional time spent marketing, supporting, updating, etc.

    Yes, good apps will make money, but it wont make anyone rich, even at $5/download.

    So many people dont understand the overhead and attached costs of product creation.
    Erm, why are you expecting to get rich off of one application? Also, the 400 hours was an incredible exaggeration for demonstration purposes anyway.

    Residual incoming should cover the cost of upgrades as well depending on how popular the application is.
  10. a1aone's Avatar
    Posts
    117 Posts
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stroven Taulrok View Post
    If people can't pay their bills, why are they spending money on apps?
    Wasn't saying it like that, just the economy is rough for everyone people could find something more worth while to spend 10$ on other than an app.
  11. a1aone's Avatar
    Posts
    117 Posts
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by phreakish View Post
    and these people can afford smartphones and the associated plan? Makes me question their motives/priorities

    An economy is driven by monetary votes, pay to play, so either pay up or..
    Wasn't saying it like that, just the economy is rough for everyone people could find something more worth while to spend 10$ on other than an app.
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    Erm, why are you expecting to get rich off of one application? Also, the 400 hours was an incredible exaggeration for demonstration purposes anyway.

    Residual incoming should cover the cost of upgrades as well depending on how popular the application is.
    I never said anyone SHOULD get rich. Only that its likely not going to happen.

    400 hrs probably isnt that far off the mark. Between coding, testing, getting beta users, promoting an app, revising code, more testing. 400 hrs is probably pretty close to the mark for a very nice, polished app with server support for its functions. I will say though that Im not a dev, so I have no clue - but I do work as a designer and know what Im capable of in 400 hrs. Im also pretty fast at what I do.

    My point is that time is money, and money isnt free either. Could you afford to even go two weeks without a paycheck? Thats only 80 hrs. Loans cost money, and even if you dont borrow it, there are still costs associated with money. Its called opportunity cost. It may be 'just time', but as I said, time is money.

    Add to that the fact that a person working for themselves (should they decide to be a professional self-employed developer) has greater considerations that a cube-mole.

    The point is: $.99 apps need huge download #'s to generate enough revenue to support the price point. The pre community isnt quite there yet (if I had to guess). As we grow in number of users, the sustainable price point will drop. Until then.. we will need to fork over more $$ than comparable apps on other platforms.
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by a1aone View Post
    Wasn't saying it like that, just the economy is rough for everyone people could find something more worth while to spend 10$ on other than an app.
    dev's gotta eat to :P

    I dont see other markets dropping prices 'to be nice' why should we expect it in our software?

    However, there is something to be said to have a 'compassionate' stance to help sales
  14. a1aone's Avatar
    Posts
    117 Posts
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by phreakish View Post
    dev's gotta eat to :P

    I dont see other markets dropping prices 'to be nice' why should we expect it in our software?

    However, there is something to be said to have a 'compassionate' stance to help sales
    Maybe because the apps are just crap... There is not one app in the catalog that is worth that much money. Homebrew has more too offer at this point!
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by phreakish View Post
    400 hrs probably isnt that far off the mark. Between coding, testing, getting beta users, promoting an app, revising code, more testing. 400 hrs is probably pretty close to the mark for a very nice, polished app with server support for its functions. I will say though that Im not a dev, so I have no clue - but I do work as a designer and know what Im capable of in 400 hrs. Im also pretty fast at what I do.
    I think 400 hours, especially for a calculator, is a really really huge number. I'm not saying any of my applications are better (in fact, none of my published ones are, ha!) but I haven't come across an application that takes nearly that long to do including the art work.

    I also don't see much in promotions for any of these applications. Submit it to Precentral and it basically promotes itself. Then you continue your work while they test. I don't see how that comes could really be factored in.
    Quote Originally Posted by phreakish View Post
    The point is: $.99 apps need huge download #'s to generate enough revenue to support the price point. The pre community isnt quite there yet (if I had to guess). As we grow in number of users, the sustainable price point will drop. Until then.. we will need to fork over more $$ than comparable apps on other platforms.
    I agree. I think if you have a pretty popular application that you can still make a decent return for your effort with the current user base. That's not saying you will but when other carriers have the Pre you'll most likely see more and lower-cost applications.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions