Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I dont blame him for wanting to take down his apps, if you work on something until YOU feel it is good enough, and people still complain then keep it to yourself and let someone else do it. It's your creation, do as you see fit with it. Despite our wonderful capitalist society, not everything is about making money....
    a better analogy might be a dvd. Do you get full versions before you buy, of course not, but a brief trailer is easily found online. I would be more likely to buy a 10 dollar app without a trial period if they had a video demonstration on you tube linked to the app description. That is not unreasonable and dosn't require much of a dev.
    Thing with my calculator is: You can get it for FREE. You can pull the source off GitHub, build it yourself and install it for free. There's your trial version too while we're at it.

The $15 is for those who think my 2.5 months (and still going) of work are worth some compensation. Those who believe I don't deserve any of that can go ahead and use it for free.

Creating an actual trial version of this app is too much of a pain which is why I'm not gonna do it. It's just not possible to do this without having to maintain two codebases which sucks.

So there you go. It's right there for $0,00.

It just really annoys me to no end that there are people who believe that all this stuff should be either free or cost 99 cents. You don't get anything for 99 cents anymore these days. Why should software be an exception to this?
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Quote Originally Posted by cswee10582 View Post
    there is a small price gap in those items. yes i did test drive the car, and tried on the jeans and shoes.

thanks mom,

Chris S
    Yes, there is a difference in price... Just like there is a difference in gas to an app like in your metaphor.... One you use up and one you are stuck with.

But if you want to get really technical there are $9 flip flops at Walmart... They let you try them on before you take them home. LOL
    Aka: NinjaMom
    www.ppcgeeks.com
    PPC6600>PPC6700>HTC Touch>Touch Pro>Palm Pre
    timed demo are a good choice for good apps however it's a bad idea for bad apps. But most people should simply be patient and wait for a review before buying crapware.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    Better comparison would be a new brew of beer. Your fav. bar has it. You want to try it. You pay the bartender $5 for a beer. You don't like it.

You suck it up.

The *****ing and whining makes me almost want to just pull my apps alltogether and get on with my life. It's pathetic.
    So, basically, you're equating a beverage to an application? You seem really bitter and, really, is this how a business owner should act? You're going to pull your applications because someone would like to try one before buying?

I think the main issue here is, why should anyone pay $X without knowing if the application will suit them or not? I don't think that's unreasonable. A beer will last for a few minutes to a few hours depending on how you drink it; an application should last you for a very long time and will be part of your life.

At least with a beer, if you don't like it, you might still get a buzz or even drunk. With an application you don't like... well, you're out of luck as it is now.
    Quote Originally Posted by cswee10582 View Post
    ok, if anyone needs me, i'm going back in the basement!
    Would that be "mom' basement"??

Just sayin'
    Better comparison would be a new brew of beer. Your fav. bar has it. You want to try it. You pay the bartender $5 for a beer. You don't like it.

You suck it up.

The *****ing and whining makes me almost want to just pull my apps alltogether and get on with my life. It's pathetic.
    You go to pathetic bars and have poor relationship with bartenders.
    Why is someone who makes an app and wants to sell it suddenly a business owner? Does that mean the garage sales my neighbors have once a year make them what? Consignment Owners? Really?

While were at it we can call people who make custom ring tones for their phones, audio entrepreneurs!
    Gentleman please, rest your sphinters!!!
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Would that be "mom' basement"??

Just sayin'
    got any cheetos?
    Thing with my calculator is: You can get it for FREE. You can pull the source off GitHub, build it yourself and install it for free. There's your trial version too while we're at it.

The $15 is for those who think my 2.5 months (and still going) of work are worth some compensation. Those who believe I don't deserve any of that can go ahead and use it for free.

Creating an actual trial version of this app is too much of a pain which is why I'm not gonna do it. It's just not possible to do this without having to maintain two codebases which sucks.

It just really annoys me to no end that there are people who believe that all this stuff should be either free or cost 99 cents. You don't get anything for 99 cents anymore these days. Why should software be an exception to this?
    A calculator is pretty cut and dry... You know what it is going to do.

Here is my point. No trial for weatherbug app... I paid the $1.99 and I hate it. It is slow, not very attractive looking and the TV portion of it even said that there was 17inches of snow in my area... Hmmm, no there isn't.

So, I just tossed $1.99 away on this app. Not a lot of money on this one... Thankfully
    Aka: NinjaMom
    www.ppcgeeks.com
    PPC6600>PPC6700>HTC Touch>Touch Pro>Palm Pre
    Stop teaching him. It's funnier that way. He still doesn't get it. He be not smart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    Gas = a consumable that we already know exactly what it does.
    Applications = mystery box. Inside of this mystery box could be anything. It could even be a boat.

I don't think application developers have to make a free, lite version, but it would sure be nice. You can't tell from a short description and 3 screenshots how useful an application will be. You only have a certain amount of description space (unlike the iPhone store, I might add) so the company can't tell you everything it does.

I never really understood why they don't make the store work like XBox Live. You download it, like it, then you unlock it with your money. It's a very simple concept to program for but everyone seems to go for the status-quo (aka Apple's App Store).

Oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by chienandalusia View Post
    You go to pathetic bars and have poor relationship with bartenders.
    As someone who's family has been in the restaurant and bar business, I wouldn't be keeping a bartender too long who's been giving free drinks away to just anyone.
    To those who didn't notice: I said almost.

I'm not pulling any apps. Certain comments just give me a really bad taste in my mouth. So yeah maybe it does make me 'bitter'.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Erm, you don't use version control and / or a custom build script? I didn't think anyone who developed anymore didn't at least use version control.

I really see no reason why you would have two code bases. That doesn't even make any sense.

If you want to rip functionality out for the trial, then you can write a script that simply separates the source then packages it. Done. Simple. You can setup the code in your application to expire / whatever and just hit a flag during the packaging.

No multiple code bases. A minor, really should take less than an hour, modification and now you have more happy customers.
    You get quite a bit for $.99 nowadays. What about music? It can take quite a long time to write and compose music and yet you can buy a song for $.99.

I really don't think a $.99 application is that far out. Think about it, if you work 40 hours a week for 2 and a half months (400 hours), if you sold your application for $.99 and had 20,000 people buy it over a certain amount of time, then that initial effort is worth about $50 an hour.

That's not bad. Applications, however, have a residual income which can be helpful but if the application is bad, you'll likely not see much money from it after the first month or so.

Software development is hard but you make it sound like all applications should be at least $10+. I highly disagree and think $.99 can be a very good price point with certain applications.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stroven Taulrok View Post
    Why is someone who makes an app and wants to sell it suddenly a business owner? Does that mean the garage sales my neighbors have once a year make them what? Consignment Owners? Really?
    If you're accepting donations and it goes above a certain amount (in my state, $600 total), you must claim it as an additional source of income. If he has made that much then he is a business owner; it's just a sole proprietorship.

If your neighbors make over a certain amount with their garage sales then yes, they'll need to claim it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    If you're accepting donations and it goes above a certain amount (in my state, $600 total), you must claim it as an additional source of income. If he has made that much then he is a business owner; it's just a sole proprietorship.

If your neighbors make over a certain amount with their garage sales then yes, they'll need to claim it.
    Jeez, I guess that kid who mows lawns and rakes leaves through out the year in our neighbor gets bombarded with taxes! So thats why we should pay less for more sevices to save the creators of the content on taxes! Now it all makes sense...
    Trialware is nice, but honestly, most of us buy based upon recommendation or reputation of usefulness. It doesnt take long for a good app to be recognized as such, and the same goes for a bad app, or one that costs more than its worth.

Software last quite a while, as such one should expect to pay a premium. Especially for softwares that are used often or that improve your ability to do _____ <fill it in>. Apps that are $.99 would give me the expectation of a java convert, or something simple with little/no value. Anything with usefulness (mytether, preware, good calculators, doc editors, power profile managers, media players, video recorders, etc) I could see running from $10 to $50. Yes, up to $50, even for a mobile app. Its not easy to develop these things, and most of the devs are not going to quit their day jobs as a result of getting an app into the app catalog!

We should all be so lucky to have so many devs offering free homebrews to us for testing and development reasons! Many people will never use homebrews, and will wait for official apps. Those that insist that everything should be free are just kidding themselves, or are cheap, or just too young for our own good. They expect to get anything they want, at the expense of others, and never having to contribute or pay. Give me a break. If you're not willing to pay, then it must not be that important to you to have the function. Have fun with all the adware you can download for free though, the rest of us will gladly pay for those features/functions we want.

I don't want you to sell anything for any less than you think it is worth. If you feel it is worth 10 buck, price it that way.

With a calculator app, you obviously can't provide a lite version.

WebOS Calculator Lite - Purchase the full version today to get the plus sign.

I support developers, and I am starting to develope for WebOs as well. I get where you are coming from. What I want to see more often than not is the opportunity to try some level of app before buying.

One that I most likely will buy is Block Drop. I was able to test it and put it through its paces. That app to me is worth 4.99.

The new weather app though is hard to justify at 1.99 since all I have to go by is a screenshot.

By all means keep developing. The last thing we need to do is make people with quality apps wanna leave.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast