Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I have a problem paying $10 for the app because it is not a self contained app but rather relies on a third party web site for its information. If the developer could guarantee that the third party web site will always be available and free, that is one thing. Also these courses are mapped by people for free using google maps so the accuracy is only as good as the updated maps from google and the people doing the mapping. So with all that being said, I do really like the app, but only willing to spend about $5 for it.
    I don't think it is complaining, I do think it is a valuable to have a discussion about pricing to let developers know what their consumers think.
    Quote Originally Posted by bo4uofm View Post
    I have a problem paying $10 for the app because it is not a self contained app but rather relies on a third party web site for its information. If the developer could guarantee that the third party web site will always be available and free, that is one thing. Also these courses are mapped by people for free using google maps so the accuracy is only as good as the updated maps from google and the people doing the mapping. So with all that being said, I do really like the app, but only willing to spend about $5 for it.
    I don't think it is complaining, I do think it is a valuable to have a discussion about pricing to let developers know what their consumers think.
    Reasonable point bo
    I used the trial version of it two weekends ago. It worked quite, well and the scorecard keeping was nice. If my golf playtime was as much as it used to be I'd be dropping $10 on it easy. It gave me as good if not better of an experience as many of the $200+ standalone golf gps devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by donatom3 View Post
    I used the trial version of it two weekends ago. It worked quite, well and the scorecard keeping was nice. If my golf playtime was as much as it used to be I'd be dropping $10 on it easy. It gave me as good if not better of an experience as many of the $200+ standalone golf gps devices.
    Have to agree. If I played more than once a year, then I'd definitely have bought it already.
    i started out like a madman this year and it looked soooo promising, but I've only played twice since late June....remember that thing called "free time"?

Chris S
    Quote Originally Posted by cswee10582 View Post
    i started out like a madman this year and it looked soooo promising, but I've only played twice since late June....remember that thing called "free time"?

Chris S
    Did i just quote myself????

oh yeah, now we have PRE TIME!
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    I think that the developers lost their damn minds...!!
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Some people don't even have money too pay bills let alone jobs! All i'm saying is make apps reasonable so you can at least reel customers in, not run them away.
    10 is super reasonable imo for an app that's as nice as this one and works as well as it does. I've used the trial on three separate rounds and it was slicker than many of the standalone units I've seen and used that cost $150+. I do wish the db contained more courses, but for 10 bucks its a great deal, less than a sleeve of prov1's

Far and sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    The homebrew version is beta. Why would there be huge differences between them? That would kill the entire reason for the beta testing.

Just because there are some devs using the homebrew catalog to release "lite" versions of their apps doesn't mean they all will.
    If there aren't big changes between beta and Paid, why would anyone buy it? This is why my beta and final version have completely different and much better data.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by bo4uofm View Post
    Not entirely true. You can define and map your own course with the app on the Pre. Granted, you have to play (or walk) the course to define the course once, but then it is there on your Pre. The availability of the website is just a convenience that gives you access to courses that others have mapped.
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    If there aren't big changes between beta and Paid, why would anyone buy it? This is why my beta and final version have completely different and much better data.
    Um because the "beta" is a trial version and will expire on a certain date.

Sorry, but I would rather get a fully functional app that is time bombed than a limited feature app that I could use forever if I wanted. How do I know that the features that I am not seeing are worth the money? With a time bombed app I know exactly what I am getting when I pay for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Give them time the wheels are in motion.

I guess the dev feels if you have the money to play golf you have the money to pay for a 10 dollar app.
    I think thats why my Pings are gathering dust and all i've done for like a year and a half is put divots in my carpet.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    No trial? Are you kidding? There's been a trial for at least the past 3 weeks in the Homebrew Catalog, and a trial in the App Catalog since Thursday.
    More like 2 months. I have used this App. on 3 differant courses, and it worked flawless. I put it up against my Brothers $499.00 SkyCaddie (which doesn't keep score) and I was within 1-2 yards evertime.
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Go look at how much decent golf apps cost and compare this thing's functionality to those.

I paid 50 bucks for intelligolf on my treo. This has about 70% of the functionality of that (and quite a few things that it doesn't have). 10 bucks is a pittance for this app.

Especially if it includes lifetime updates.

There's a great trial out there already for it, and it's been in the homebrew catalog for a long time. I think 10 bucks is a pretty fair price. I'd love to have it cheaper, but I'd love to have everything cheaper.
    golf is too damn expensive to begin with... this just tops it off!

imma use the scorecard and use my average distance from the driving range to figure out what i have left...
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeybob365 View Post
    golf is too damn expensive to begin with... this just tops it off!

imma use the scorecard and use my average distance from the driving range to figure out what i have left...
    A one-time fee of $10 is too much for you?

Wow, I wonder how Intelligolf survives at $40 per major version.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darknight View Post
    10 bucks for "Golf Pin Finder"!? For reals?

Wow, getting an "App Catalog unavailable. Try again later." error.

Lots of load on the catalog, I guess.
    I paid nearly $100 for "Mobile Golf Scorer" for WinMo, and though I was getting a bargain when I look3ed at dedicated hardware junk like iGolf and SkyCaddie. Now I really know what a bargain is.

Ten Dollars? Worth double and triple the price. I've used the demo and I LOVE it!
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    The demo version of GolfPinFinder (a 2 week fully functioning version) was posted in the app catalog on 9/24/09. One thing you will realize with trial/paid apps is that you need to have 2 separate apps (in the catalog) for that purpose. So when you are looking at a paid app, there is no indication there may be a demo/trial version available. It's not a huge problem now with limited apps in the catalog but hopefully soon there will be a better indication of that.

For those concerned about the data becoming "unavailable" in the future - I've got that covered so no concerns there.

The app has been available in some format for months through PreCentral and for a short time through the official app catalog.

Thanks to all of you who've commented in support of GolfPinFinder!

Disclaimer: I am the developer of GolfPinFinder
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    A one-time fee of $10 is too much for you?

Wow, I wonder how Intelligolf survives at $40 per major version.
    i spent a ton on my clubs, then a bag, then balls, and fees for a decent course are crazy(just letting you know i'm a teenager paying for all this from my job, and i'm also paying for my apps)... when i golf, i wanna see my ability of how well i can read the course, not grip it rip it check it on the pre...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast