Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    Do you mean to say the drain rate will spike to 12% per hour or that for the entire duration from 100% to auto power off or at least to 20% if you don't typically wait until the battery is extremely low to charge? In other words if it were 12% per hour for the duration then auto power off would happen about 8hrs20min after removing it from the charger. I'm trying to get a grasp on the situation to see if I can come up with anything to help you figure out what is going on.
    to answer your question, yes, it was running at a rate of 12%/hr until it could no longer run.

i think an application didn't get cleaned up properly or there was some sort of malfunction in the notifications for an app. i previously performed a partial wipe and it made absolutely no difference. i did a full wipe of the device today and it seems to be behaving now. it was just the last thing i wanted to do before getting a replacement. i've got the factory battery in it for the moment, fully wiped device, and i'm installing apps and reconfiguring them one at a time to see if maybe i can determine which one it was. if it continues behaving, i'll put my innocell back in again and if it starts that crap again.
    it is the largest octopus ever recorded.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Wow! Thanks everyone!! Only 10 MORE!! We're almost out of time (if the Nov. 15th Pixi release is any indication for the 1.3.1 release date...).

Again, if the update is out before we've hit 25 users, I'll still post the data for all to look at and we'll see what we can make of it! Thanks everyone!
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by m0unds View Post
    to answer your question, yes, it was running at a rate of 12%/hr until it could no longer run.

i think an application didn't get cleaned up properly or there was some sort of malfunction in the notifications for an app. i previously performed a partial wipe and it made absolutely no difference. i did a full wipe of the device today and it seems to be behaving now. it was just the last thing i wanted to do before getting a replacement. i've got the factory battery in it for the moment, fully wiped device, and i'm installing apps and reconfiguring them one at a time to see if maybe i can determine which one it was. if it continues behaving, i'll put my innocell back in again and if it starts that crap again.
    Yes it sounds like something went wrong with an app or something else changed by something. Anyways you are on the right track of doing one thing at a time and using for a day and then adding another thing until you track down what the cause was. If your lucky maybe something random happened and you can go back to the way things were without extra drain.
    With GPS On, WiFi off, gtalk not signed in, gmail and msn set to push, network set to auto, I get 5.9% when sitting idle.

I recently removed a lot of apps that use location services and shut off the anonymous google stats to prevent anything that might be using the network for auto-updating purposes. When using the web and preware my drain went up a bit, but that's to be expected.

I'd like to give one small bit of advice... Do not let your battery run dry. There is no "training" required with Lithium based batteries, although an occasional discharge/recharge is required to reset it.

A lithium-ion battery provides 300-500 discharge/charge cycles. The battery prefers a partial rather than a full discharge. Frequent full discharges should be avoided when possible. Instead, charge the battery more often or use a larger battery. There is no concern of memory when applying unscheduled charges.

Although lithium-ion is memory-free in terms of performance deterioration, batteries with fuel gauges exhibit what engineers refer to as "digital memory". Here is the reason: Short discharges with subsequent recharges do not provide the periodic calibration needed to synchronize the fuel gauge with the battery's state-of-charge. A deliberate full discharge and recharge every 30 charges corrects this problem. Letting the battery run down to the cut-off point in the equipment will do this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate. (Read more in 'Choosing the right battery for portable computing', Part Two.)
    (BatteryUniversity DOT com, 2003)

ref. www DOT batteryuniversity DOT com / parttwo-34 . htm

It's a good read if you're looking for ways to care for your battery, and the site uses user data rather then lab results so the examples are from real-life experiences.

(Sorry for the goofy link, but I like to reference my sources and I don't believe in spamming just to get my post count to 10.) Cheers.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    9-12% drain while idle:
    Sprint only
    Data Usage ON
    BT off
    GPS off
    WIFI on when at home
    Gmail set to push,
    No AIM accounts
    1-3 bars
    Screen brightness all the down

When I turn Data Usage Off the drain drops to 4% per hour, so it's data related?

I called my Sprint store today and was told it definitely is not normal. I was told to go to the Sprint Corporate store and see if they'll give me a new battery. BTW, I updated my network settings and PRL. My prl is 60656.

And just a side note, when I was playing WordAce at home, having Data Usage on and WIFI on it drained 20% in an hour! is that normal?
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    my 2nd full day with pre:

Sprint only
    Data On
    EAS upon arrival
    GPS off
    WIFI on
    default screen brightness

unplugged at 7:30 AM and plugged in at 6PM.
    spent 2 hours on phone on conference calls. 1 hour of that was on speaker phone.
    light web surfing, facebook.

at 6PM charge was at 12%.
    Having to turn all the smartphone features off to get by is ridiculous. We shouldn't have to do that, I'm buying an extended battery
    For me, I just asked my Sprint guy for an extra battery. Add a car charger & work & home Touchstones, and I just keep everything on: GPS, AIM, data. It makes for a much richer experience.
    ebay has a bunch of OEM batteries, looks very decent, and maybe real, u can get it for $5, I got one for $9 and so far it works great.

my battery drain so far has been between 7-10%/hr, with WF/BT/GPS off and AIM on all day.

7 email acc, 1@once/hr, 6@once/12hr

30-60min web. no calls

Last edited by clevin; 11/05/2009 at 08:32 PM.
    This isnt going to work. Everyone needs to completely drain their batterys and recharge before doing this or all the results will be way off. Theres no way to measure mah in a battery. The phones estimate by what they think was put in it. This estimation gets more and more off with everytime you charge the phone before the battery is dead. I'd say this is most of your problems with low battery life. The phone simply doesnt know what low is.

lithium-ion is memory-free in terms of performance deterioration, but batteries with fuel gauges "smart batteries like our palm pre" exhibit what engineers refer to as "digital memory". Here is the reason: Short discharges with subsequent recharges do not provide the periodic calibration needed to synchronize the fuel gauge with the battery's state-of-charge. A deliberate full discharge and recharge every 30 charges corrects this problem. Letting the battery run down to the cut-off point in the equipment will do this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate.
    and this especially wont work with people that change batterys out.
    Usage down to 4.6% from 5.9% by turning off GPS when indoors.

WiFi off (When not near hotspots)
    GPS off (When indoors or not using location services)
    Data on
    Network Auto
    BT off
    Gmail Push
    Screen brightness ~80%
    1-3 bars
    My configuration:

EAS - push
    Yahoo - once/hour
    Other IMAP - push
    Wireless off
    GPS On
    Bluetooth Off
    Data On
    Network Auto
    Screen Brightness ~ 20%
    1-3 bars

I posted my results about a month ago and since then I replaced my original Japanese cell battery with a Korean cell battery. The new battery made no difference as far as I can tell. The next thing I did was to run WebOS Doctor on the phone. That made a huge difference. After visiting the doctor, my phone discharge rate dropped in half, which at work is now about 5-6%/hour with minimal usage. I slowly added back patches and apps and my improved battery life remained.

In addition, my EAS account before running WOSD was set up to check every 15 minutes and the other two polled once per hour. Any attempt to configure push e-mail caused a significant reduction in battery life.

In my case, the biggest factor for battery utilization are how many incoming e-mails I receive (which is essentially how much data is being transferred) - I usually get 150 or more e-mails per day. Also, my battery life is significantly impacted by how often I read the e-mails on my phone - turning on the screen. I also noticed that leaving the e-mail app running caused more battery drain than opening it every time I read e-mail. I can't explain this other than it seems like when the e-mail app is running, it fetches new mails (the whole message) as soon as they arrive, whereas having the e-mail app closed seems to sometimes only fetch enough for the notification and the rest is downloaded when I open the e-mail app.
    Here is mine:

WiFi off
    GPS on
    Data on
    Network Auto
    BT off
    Gmail Push
    Gtalk and AIM connected
    Screen brightness: ~5%
    0-1 bars at work
    Full bars at home (Near tower at home)

Battery: Japan

http// imgur.com/xrvhj.png
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Great! 10 more users!! Keep em coming before webOS 1.3.1 comes out!
    Hi all,

here's my data - can't wait to see your analysis.
    I am definitely in the group "less than 10h". The data shown is from an average working day:
    Total 22 minutes phone, 1 email, 2 SMS, no web, 10 min Sudoku, thats it.

WiFi off
    GPS off
    Data off
    Network: 2G only (improved battery live a little)
    BT off
    Gmail once per h
    Gtalk and AIM offline
    Screen brightness: ~20%
    3-4 bars at work

The battery drains about 10% with almost no use.
    With listening music (mp3 stored on pre) or using web I have to recharge the device twice during a working day.

I got the battery replaced once but it's the same story. The support (o2 germany) told me, it's the same problem with all devices & refused to give me a new pre.

In airplane mode it drains ~0.3 - 0.5% per h and I made an interesting experience last friday: I was in an area with almost no coverage (had 0-2 bars amlost all the day) and the phone was working at about 4% drain for more than 20h. Back in the office today I made the screenshot attached, so lifetime definitely depends on where you are.

I am looking for an application to inhibit all data connections while keeping the phone online. Any idea how to do this? (I want to be available by phone, but don't need any data service - at least not all the time) Maybe that helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    We need 8 more users to submit their average day!!! We're so close but we're also running out of time. The release of 1.3.1 is imminent and when it comes I'm going to share the results with everyone.
    I have a feeling the results will be that the battery life sucks.
    This signature for rent
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollbandit View Post
    I have a feeling the results will be that the battery life sucks.
    That's pretty much what I'm seeing....

Average expected battery life is about 16 hours.. Of course it's only an extreme average.. I would say as a rule of thumb - If you get anything less than 16 hours out of your Pre under "normal" conditions (ie decent - good reception, a few phone calls, a couple dozen texts, some music, web browsing, etc) TAKE YOUR PRE BACK and/or get a new battery...

One thing that's making this a little irrelevant is that I really haven't heard to many people complaining about the battery life anyway.. it's not great but for me personally, it isn't the issue it used to be. I'm on Pre number 4 so I'm guessing by now I've gotten a good Japanese battery.. probably..

I'm not admitting defeat or claiming this test is a wash but... the results are obvious.. the battery life isn't good.

We'll see what people actually do with these results though once I post them.
    Whoa, before you go recommending people to spend money, at least let us know your 95% CI or something. A point estimate doesn't tell me anything.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast