Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 162
  1. #121  
    my average is about 12%/hr. I do have AIM open most of the day.

    I closed it once by accident, so I dont have the data from 820AM to 1210PM, but average is around 12%/hr as well.

    I will do no IM mode tonite for 4 hours and airplane mode for rest of the night and see how it changes.

  2. #122  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    my average is about 12%/hr. I do have AIM open most of the day.
    Crazy question, but how did you capture your screen?
  3. #123  
    orange key+system key+p, screen capture will be automatically saved in your screen capture collection in photo.app
  4. blz2's Avatar
    Posts
    238 Posts
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    #124  
    Pre Battery = Piece of *****
    90% at 12:30
    15% at 4:30
    No browsing, no calls. Maybe 30 texts over that time. I'm sick of carrying a charger around everywhere I go. This damn phone is supposed to be wireless!!!
  5. #125  
    Quote Originally Posted by blz2 View Post
    Pre Battery = Piece of *****
    90% at 12:30
    15% at 4:30
    No browsing, no calls. Maybe 30 texts over that time. I'm sick of carrying a charger around everywhere I go. This damn phone is supposed to be wireless!!!
    hows your cell signal? its incredibly batt killing if you are in an area with poor signal. also do some soft reboot from time to time.

    lastly, carry batt is much easier than carry charger. I usually carry an extra batt (from my centro) and a retractable USB charger.
  6. blz2's Avatar
    Posts
    238 Posts
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    #126  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    hows your cell signal? its incredibly batt killing if you are in an area with poor signal. also do some soft reboot from time to time.

    lastly, carry batt is much easier than carry charger. I usually carry an extra batt (from my centro) and a retractable USB charger.
    I have the Roam Only patch installed which gives me a nearly full signal. I also have the Data Usage turned off and use Wi-Fi whenever I can.
  7. Tcub's Avatar
    Posts
    406 Posts
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
       #127  
    Quote Originally Posted by blz2 View Post
    I have the Roam Only patch installed which gives me a nearly full signal. I also have the Data Usage turned off and use Wi-Fi whenever I can.
    I'd seriously take it back and request a battery and/or Pre. There is seriously something wrong and you rule out the "lack of reception" theory by using the Roaming Patch. Good luck!

    And... Big Thanks to everyone! We're only 12 away!!
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  8. #128  
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry R. View Post
    I have 9 accounts, but prior to getting the Pre, I had configured all of them to be collected into the one Gmail account. So the phone is only grabbing one account.

    I switched from PUSH on Monday/Tuesday to 1 hour on Wednesday and today. The phone has been unplugged from charging for 4 hours and is at 71%. It would be at or under 50% by this time using PUSH.

    I am hoping for a future Power Settings option with multiple profiles, similar to the Power Options in Windows. Then with a quick two finger presses, users could switch between a car profile with BT on/WiFi off or a Bldg profile w/BT off/WiFi on.
    Thanks for the additional info. Based on this it appears you now have probably an average of 7% drain per hour. Not the best I have seen but if I recall correctly your usage probably means your idle drain rate is about 4% per hour give or take 1%. Not too shabby but if your usage increases or you prefer not to go into "power profile" type situations an extended battery would probably be the way to go if you don't want to top off during the day. I can see a power profile type thing being handy have you sent the suggestion along to palm?
  9. #129  
    update my result

    here is battery drain without AIM on, doesn't look much different than with it on, 9% vs 12%.


    and here is airplane mode overnight
  10. #130  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    orange key+system key+p, screen capture will be automatically saved in your screen capture collection in photo.app
    Thanks. I Googled "palm pre system key" but came up empty. Experimenting, I found the orange key+Shift+p worked. But each time I do it, 2 images are captured. Any idea why?
  11. #131  
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    Not too shabby but if your usage increases or you prefer not to go into "power profile" type situations an extended battery would probably be the way to go if you don't want to top off during the day. I can see a power profile type thing being handy have you sent the suggestion along to palm?
    An extra or extended battery may be the only way for many Pre owners. A lot of times I'll be moving around in a bldg that leaving my phone to charge isn't an option. I don't want to increase the thickness of the phone though.

    I did submit a Feature Request with Palm.

    Thanks
  12. #132  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    update my result

    here is battery drain without AIM on, doesn't look much different than with it on, 9% vs 12%.


    and here is airplane mode overnight
    Well it may not be ideal but you did gain about 3 hours more. We can try and shave that down if you have other settings not set to optimal savings. Have you looked at all the power savings tips in the tips and tricks PDF here on forum and followed any or all of them? If not are there any of them you prefer not to use? This will help me determine if there is anything to suggest to do to try and get more out of the battery. All this is assuming that your drain rate isn't due to usage. So to also help see if we can squeeze more out of it we will need to get a run down of typical use. Total talk time used, number of text sent, email usage, active data usage (internet browsing for example), pandora or other steaming audio use, GPS navigation usage, signal quality, and that should wrap up most of the big power consumers. If there is any other significant usage like prolong screen on type stuff you may want to detail that stuff too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Terry R. View Post
    Thanks. I Googled "palm pre system key" but came up empty. Experimenting, I found the orange key+Shift+p worked. But each time I do it, 2 images are captured. Any idea why?
    Originally the photo app only shown one file type now it shows both jpg and png files. Screenshots have always been saved in both formats but now we see both formats in the app so it appears as if it is duplicates but what you are seeing is the jpg and png files.

    Quote Originally Posted by Terry R. View Post
    An extra or extended battery may be the only way for many Pre owners. A lot of times I'll be moving around in a bldg that leaving my phone to charge isn't an option. I don't want to increase the thickness of the phone though.

    I did submit a Feature Request with Palm.

    Thanks
    There are alternatives to getting an extended battery but I don't know if they are preferable or not. External emergency chargers but only good if you aren't carrying it is a pocket. You can also buy a second stock battery and spare battery charger. Swap the battery when the other gets too low and then toss the low one in the spare battery charger. Then when the one in the pre gets low do the swap again. This keeps both batteries having charge cycles so one doesn't deteriorate from non use. Perhaps the second battery and spare battery charge would be the best way to go in your case?
  13. #133  
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry R. View Post
    Thanks. I Googled "palm pre system key" but came up empty. Experimenting, I found the orange key+Shift+p worked. But each time I do it, 2 images are captured. Any idea why?
    somebody answered below.
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    Originally the photo app only shown one file type now it shows both jpg and png files. Screenshots have always been saved in both formats but now we see both formats in the app so it appears as if it is duplicates but what you are seeing is the jpg and png files.
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    Well it may not be ideal but you did gain about 3 hours more. We can try and shave that down if you have other settings not set to optimal savings. Have you looked at all the power savings tips in the tips and tricks PDF here on forum and followed any or all of them? If not are there any of them you prefer not to use? This will help me determine if there is anything to suggest to do to try and get more out of the battery. All this is assuming that your drain rate isn't due to usage. So to also help see if we can squeeze more out of it we will need to get a run down of typical use. Total talk time used, number of text sent, email usage, active data usage (internet browsing for example), pandora or other steaming audio use, GPS navigation usage, signal quality, and that should wrap up most of the big power consumers. If there is any other significant usage like prolong screen on type stuff you may want to detail that stuff too.
    okay, I dont really worry about it. I have chargers everywhere at home, office and car, and extra battery in the pocket. However, here is my usage rundown.

    my normal day:

    AIM for somewhere around 6 hrs, msges about 20. one or two txt msg a day

    screen brightness at 15-20%

    BT, GPS off

    talk time about 10-30 minutes/day

    i have 7 email account set up, my one main email is checked every hour, other 6 are checked every 12 hours. but I do manually check two of them every 6 hours or so.

    my wi-fi is mostly off when on battery (because dumb company wireless network don't support Pre).

    I usually dont do radio streaming.

    I browse internet on the Pre for ~1 hour a day.

    when Im at work, the signal varies from 1 to 5 bars, I moves around alot in the building.
  14. Tcub's Avatar
    Posts
    406 Posts
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
       #134  
    With the pending release of webOS 1.3.1 I've decided it would be best to try and gather as much data before it comes out. As soon as 1.3.1 is out then I'll stop requesting this information and post the results I've gathered regardless of whether or not we've hit the 25 user mark or not.

    I'll see what happens with the information I post and depending on whether or not this experiment is a success I'll start over with webOS 1.3.1 and hopefully we get more people to participate.

    The reason behind this is because with the 1.2.1 update I noticed improved battery life and I wouldn't doubt it if Palm optimizes something to improve it. To keep the results in somewhat of a straight line this will be cut and restart once the new OS is released.

    If anyone else wants to participate we only need 12 more users to submit a screenshot of the BatterMonitor app after a full "average" day of use.

    Big thanks to everyone who's participated so far and hopefully some people were able to get their questions answered in this thread. When I post the spreadsheet hopefully we can use it as a gauge to determine if we're getting the battery life we should be getting.
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  15. #135  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post


    okay, I dont really worry about it. I have chargers everywhere at home, office and car, and extra battery in the pocket. However, here is my usage rundown.

    my normal day:

    AIM for somewhere around 6 hrs, msges about 20. one or two txt msg a day

    talk time about 10-30 minutes/day

    I browse internet on the Pre for ~1 hour a day.

    when Im at work, the signal varies from 1 to 5 bars, I moves around alot in the building.
    I quoted the most significant factors in your usage. The rest I haven't quantified drain rates for but we can get a new estimated drain rate based on these alone. Obviously the other factors increase drain rate at unknown amounts so this could be concidered a better case senario for you. The usage I quoted uses up about 50% of the battery perhaps more or less since I'm basing the power consumed of AIM use on your data provided from battery monitor. This means if you get 12 hours on a single charge without topping it off your idle drain rate is about 4% per hour and in what I've determined to be a normal idle drain rate based on many reported details on usage etc over the course of 5 months the pre has been out. I'm not sure if changing any settings would provide any significant increase. It seems you have done quite well in getting the most out of the battery now that you turn off AIM when not in use. You could go as far as turning data off but that will interfere with things you want to happen when you aren't actively using it like getting email.
  16. #136  
    Here's the graph of my pre's battery. i just got it 2 days ago and im so much happier with sprints coverage and the pre's battery life compared to my g1. This graph is of moderate use. I was on the web for maybe an hour,1 1/2 of music,30min's of pandora, couple short calls, and maybe 20 texts. Overall a very big improvement from my tweaked out g1.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  17. m0unds's Avatar
    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    #137  
    My pre has randomly started draining approximately 12% / hr. I had the Seidio extended (not the huge one) battery installed.

    - this is at home, where I have an airave.
    - i have my device set to sprint only and 1xRTT only
    - i had wi-fi enabled
    - i have a single email account (google apps premier pushed to the phone, receiving maybe 1/hr)
    - i have no notifications enabled in any other app
    - i only checked & received a single sms message (i didn't reply to it)

    I just installed the factory battery and i'm charging it now to see if i have similar performance. if that's the case, i'll probably go to a sprint store and see about getting another device. It's kind of depressing at this point though since I've had the thing since July without any problems until now.
    it is the largest octopus ever recorded.
  18. #138  
    Quote Originally Posted by m0unds View Post
    My pre has randomly started draining approximately 12% / hr. I had the Seidio extended (not the huge one) battery installed.

    - this is at home, where I have an airave.
    - i have my device set to sprint only and 1xRTT only
    - i had wi-fi enabled
    - i have a single email account (google apps premier pushed to the phone, receiving maybe 1/hr)
    - i have no notifications enabled in any other app
    - i only checked & received a single sms message (i didn't reply to it)

    I just installed the factory battery and i'm charging it now to see if i have similar performance. if that's the case, i'll probably go to a sprint store and see about getting another device. It's kind of depressing at this point though since I've had the thing since July without any problems until now.
    Do you mean to say the drain rate will spike to 12% per hour or that for the entire duration from 100% to auto power off or at least to 20% if you don't typically wait until the battery is extremely low to charge? In other words if it were 12% per hour for the duration then auto power off would happen about 8hrs20min after removing it from the charger. I'm trying to get a grasp on the situation to see if I can come up with anything to help you figure out what is going on.
  19. #139  
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    Originally the photo app only shown one file type now it shows both jpg and png files. Screenshots have always been saved in both formats but now we see both formats in the app so it appears as if it is duplicates but what you are seeing is the jpg and png files.
    Ah, so it is creating two files. Interesting.

    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    There are alternatives to getting an extended battery but I don't know if they are preferable or not. External emergency chargers but only good if you aren't carrying it is a pocket. You can also buy a second stock battery and spare battery charger. Swap the battery when the other gets too low and then toss the low one in the spare battery charger. Then when the one in the pre gets low do the swap again. This keeps both batteries having charge cycles so one doesn't deteriorate from non use. Perhaps the second battery and spare battery charge would be the best way to go in your case?
    I may have to get a 2nd battery and charger. I would prefer not to put out the expense. It also seems getting the back off is a bit touchy. I messed with it a bit, but haven't gotten it off yet. It appears fragile, but if I'm forced into a 2nd battery, I'll have to get used to it.
    Last edited by Terry R.; 11/03/2009 at 02:57 PM. Reason: forgot to add quote tag
  20. #140  
    Here my setup

    08:00 AM to 16:00 PM

    GPS:Off
    Wifi:On
    BT:ON
    Hotmail Account :check every 24hours
    Exchange Account : Check every 15min (Avg of 5 mail per hours)
    Screen brightness : Minimum
    Average call minute for 1 day :15 Min
    Bad EVO signal here in my city so : ##EVDO# set to 1x only
    No EVDO is ok for my work cause i only use it for Mail and exchange calendar.

    PS: Sorry for my bad english
    Attached Images Attached Images
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions